Help planning first time Build

LordKoen

Hello everyone, within the next few months I plan on building a PC. First of all, I was wondering if you guys could give opinions of on what I have decided so far:

I also have a few questions

- Even though this will be the final build I am planning on buying the parts in two parts, so within the next 2 months I would buy everything by the Storage and GPU, and by the Summer buy the rest. And for the few months in between I would use my current GPU which is a GTX 660 and my 1 TB HDD. Would that be okay? Or should I just buy everything together?

- Also, should I spend the extra money to buy a 1 TB SSD or buy a 500 GB SSD  and a 1 TB HDD?

Also, some information if needed

- My budget is around 1000 British Pounds, I will be using this computer mainly for gaming with triple-A titles and university work (I will be doing engineering). For now, I game 1080p but maybe one day I will want to move to 1440p so that is why the GTX 1070 Ti seems inviting.

Thank you

1 minute ago, LordKoen said:

- Even though this will be the final build I am planning on buying the parts in two parts, so within the next 2 months I would buy everything by the Storage and GPU, and by the Summer buy the rest. And for the few months in between I would use my current GPU which is a GTX 660 and my 1 TB HDD. Would that be okay? Or should I just buy everything together?

Don't buy anything if you're waiting that long. Theres no point. By the time you build, there will be better parts available.

Because of that, I can't really answer your other questions because the market for computer parts tends to be pretty volatile 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

5 minutes ago, LordKoen said:

Hello everyone, within the next few months I plan on building a PC. 

AMD will be releasing Zen 2 CPUs at CES (which is Jan 8 - 11), so I suggest you wait until then to decide which CPU to get.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Don't buy anything if you're waiting that long. Theres no point. By the time you build, there will be better parts available.

Because of that, I can't really answer your other questions because the market for computer parts tends to be pretty volatile 

and the 1070 ti won't even be available then...

but I'm making something up for what you can do now

7 minutes ago, Slottr said:

3 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

AMD will be releasing Zen 2 CPUs at CES (which is Jan 8 - 11), so I suggest you wait until then to decide which CPU to get.

Okay, so I should not plan very far ahead, and once I have the money saved up then decide on the parts I should buy?

Okay, apparently Nvidia is realising their new video cards as well right? So I guess I should wait for that as well?

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

and the 1070 ti won't even be available then...

but I'm making something up for what you can do now

Oh thank you very much

Okay, so I should not plan very far ahead, and once I have the money saved up then decide on the parts I should buy?

Okay, apparently Nvidia is realising their new video cards as well right? So I guess I should wait for that as well?

Basically yeah. Theres no point in planning half a year ahead because technology developments are so frequent 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, LordKoen said:

those are already launched. only the lower end is yet to come...

here is a full amd build example

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Basically yeah. Theres no point in planning half a year ahead because technology developments are so frequent 

Fair enough, okay thank you.

Yeah I mean they are supposed to release the RTX 2060 and the GTX 1160 (I think this one is a rumour isn't it) and those apparently would be similar to GTX 1070 and 1070 Ti? Also thank you for the build

What if I bought everything now expect the GPU, keep using my current one (the GTX 660) and then buy whatever GPU is going once I save money for it, I am guessing it would still be compatible with the Motherboard I have?

Fair enough, okay thank you.

Yeah I mean they are supposed to release the RTX 2060 and the GTX 1160 (I think this one is a rumour isn't it) and those apparently would be similar to GTX 1070 and 1070 Ti? Also thank you for the build

the 1070 ti is about 1080, 2070 is about 1080, so i would think it would be 1070 level, but as said, those are still rumors

Just now, LordKoen said:

What if I bought everything now expect the GPU, keep using my current one (the GTX 660) and then buy whatever GPU is going once I save money for it, I am guessing it would still be compatible with the Motherboard I have?

yep, gpu isnt really that mobo dependent

yep, gpu isnt really that mobo dependent

Okay, so I think I might do that, buy everything but the GPU right now and then buy the GPU once I saved up around 400 pounds for it and see the best option then as it should be compatible.

Also, I am wondering, is there any reasons why you made those changes compared to my original build or were you just making an example and did not really compare it to the parts I had chosen? 

Okay, so I think I might do that, buy everything but the GPU right now and then buy the GPU once I saved up around 400 pounds for it and see the best option then as it should be compatible.

Also, I am wondering, is there any reasons why you made those changes compared to my original build or were you just making an example and did not really compare it to the parts I had chosen? 

well, i did compare. i chose the pro4 because they are both absolute basic boards and the pro4 was cheaper, the ripjaws because it has less latency, the mb511 rgb because it's a better case for the money imo, and the pure power 11 because it's higher quality. the vega was just a bit more, and can do pretty well when well cooled

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, i did compare. i chose the pro4 because they are both absolute basic boards and the pro4 was cheaper, the ripjaws because it has less latency, the mb511 rgb because it's a better case for the money imo, and the pure power 11 because it's higher quality. the vega was just a bit more, and can do pretty well when well cooled

Okay, thank you very much, those all seem like better options for my money so I may consider swapping some of the parts I chose for the ones you suggested. Thank you

3 hours ago, LordKoen said:

Also, should I spend the extra money to buy a 1 TB SSD or buy a 500 GB SSD  and a 1 TB HDD?

I'd recommend a 120GB or 240GB SSD and then more HDD space, depending on how many games you have and how many you'd want to put on an SSD.