CPU utilisation capped below max

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

Your problem might have something to do with how you have your bios setup or the bios version you are using does not correctly support this CPU.  The CPU-Z program is showing a maximum multiplier of 22 which is a sign that the bios is not setting your CPU up correctly.  Go to the Gigabyte website and make sure you are using the latest bios version for your motherboard.  Before you boot up, go into the bios and make sure SpeedStep and Intel Turbo Boost are enabled.  The default turbo ratio limits for the Core i5-6500 are 36, 35, 34, 33 when 1, 2, 3 or 4 cores are active.  This has to be set correctly in the bios.

If you cannot get this problem fixed in your bios, I would try using ThrottleStop.  It lets you adjust the maximum multiplier as well as the turbo ratio limits,  enable turbo boost, etc.  Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop if you need help setting this program up.  The latest version is available at TechPowerUp.

I have an i5 6500, Gigabyte B250M mobo, 16GB RAM @ 2133Hz, RX 480

Noticed the highest my CPU usage goes is 68% from Task Manager.

Read a few threads, ran Cinebench and CPUZ to check. Power settings has maximum CPU usage at 100%.

For curiosity, also ran Afterburner to check CPU usage, curiously it shows 100% while Task Manager shows 68%.

The highest clock speed for i5 6500 is 3.2Ghz and 2.2Ghz is exactly 68% of that. Anyone has any idea how to fix this? Might be something with BIOS but I'm entirely unsure of how to weave in and out of BIOS

Album image: https://imgur.com/a/cyMBXnP

CPU temps on the Afterburner picture shows around 50-ish. I don't think it should be throttling at that temperature. 

Edit: Used the IPDT and temps seem to be fine.

CPU4.png

Your problem might have something to do with how you have your bios setup or the bios version you are using does not correctly support this CPU.  The CPU-Z program is showing a maximum multiplier of 22 which is a sign that the bios is not setting your CPU up correctly.  Go to the Gigabyte website and make sure you are using the latest bios version for your motherboard.  Before you boot up, go into the bios and make sure SpeedStep and Intel Turbo Boost are enabled.  The default turbo ratio limits for the Core i5-6500 are 36, 35, 34, 33 when 1, 2, 3 or 4 cores are active.  This has to be set correctly in the bios.

If you cannot get this problem fixed in your bios, I would try using ThrottleStop.  It lets you adjust the maximum multiplier as well as the turbo ratio limits,  enable turbo boost, etc.  Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop if you need help setting this program up.  The latest version is available at TechPowerUp.

8 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Thank you! I restored the BIOS and it all works fine now!