3d cad

3ddesign

Hi, I run a gigabyte motherboard with I7 3.66ghz and I nvidia quadro 2000 with 8gb ram for several 3d cad packages. On certain models the render application crashes the package. 

Could this be ram, or cpu or gpu? 

My 12 year old build his own pc with ryzen 5 amd msi gpu which runs it OK. 

Is the ryzen better for 3d cad? Whilst I don't have infinite money for parts, it is a professional workstation so don't mind spend enough to get the job done. 

Thanks 

Overall, Intel *should* be better for this type of application, but it also depends on what specific CPU you have.

Are you running the original Quadro 2000, or the M2000 / P2000?

8 GB of RAM can be a bit low for cad applications. It just depends on what you're working on.

In short, it could be all three. It's hard to tell.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

The original quadro 2000, I've 16gb ram on laptop with similar I7 cpu and same result, I guess upgrading the ram is the least expensive upgrade one step at a time 

1 minute ago, 3ddesign said:

The original quadro 2000, I've 16gb ram on laptop with similar I7 cpu and same result, I guess upgrading the ram is the least expensive upgrade one step at a time 

The Quadro 2000 has 1 GB of vRAM. I'd suspect that this is part of the problem as most cards, even low-end consumer, now have 3+ GB of vRAM.

You could take the GPU out of your son's system temporarily to test if it's the problem.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/