Intel NUC 8 i7HNK or Micro ATX Build for HTPC?

izt_is

Hi fam, my previous HTPC was lost by the moving company in the move (so much mover scams in the US) so now I need a replacement for my HTPC.

I will be watching 4K streams, Netflix, Prime Video and my huge collection of MKVs. No plans for any AAA gaming, I have a desktop I build for that (I'm sure would have gone missing if I did not transport it myself). The resolution I will be driving is a 4K Samsung TV. Other media streaming devices I have include a PS4 Pro but it doesn't play well with MKV files mainly due to the limited audio format support and al less than stellar video player. 

Looking to spend no more than 1100. The less the better.

I'm debating between an Intel NUC 8 i7HNK: Small form factor let's me mount it behind the TV and it's powerful enough for everything except AAA gaming at 4K which I don't need. 

OR

Micro ATX Build which I will build myself. 

Questions:

1. Which route should I go NUC or Micro ATX?
  2. Can I get away with a normal cheaper NUC with IRIS Plus 655 integrated graphics WITHOUT the Radeon Vega graphics for my usage (4K streaming, MKV streaming, no gaming)?
  3. If recommend Micro ATX, any board and CPU recommendations? (I am an MSI fan but not brand locked)

Thanks a million!!!

I have the BOXNUC8i7BEH1 on one of my TVs and it does a fantastic job. A lot quieter the then Kaby Lake version it replaced too. It's tiny and really hides well behind a TV.