8GB DUAL CH OR 12GB SINGLE CH.

Bbop

Hi all. I'm not as smart as a lot of you when it comes to computers. That being said I'm no dummy either. I have a basic understanding and I built my own rig. 

My question is... 

I'm currently running  8gb (2x4) dual channel of RAM. I have another 4gb stick lying around but haven't put it in because of dual channel being better (or so I've read ). I'm getting a bit of stuttering/stopping,starting during game play. (SGW3&2). Im sure some of my problem is incorrect setup of my graphics so any help on that would definitely not be turned down, but I was wondering if I would benefit or hinder by installing the 3rd 4gb ram stick, changing my setup to 12gb`s single channel? 

RIG:

>Asus Rog Maximus IX Hero DDR4 4000+ O.C Z270 RGB MOBO w/ wifi&bluetooth.

>Intel Core I3 6100 3.7GHz CPU. STOCK COOLING but running 6 or 7 120mm fans  plus a couple other exhaust fans lol

>8 gb's (2x4) Patriot Elite Ninja 3000mhz Ram w heatsinks and own lil 12.5mm 12v fan ( personally improvised for cooling) (w/ optional 4gb Corsair Vengence stick). 

>EVGA GeForce GTX 680SC 256bit GDDR5 2gb (?) signature+ series GPU w/backplate Nvidia chipset.. OR trying out sometimes the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050ti 128Bit pci_e 4gb DDR5 GPU(opinions on which to use? the 680 seems better.The 1050 doesn't take any external power).

>EVGA 600W PSU. Non modular

>VIVO V08 4 120mm blue led fan glass front & side panel case.(awesome cable management)

>Seagate 1TB HDD

>Asus VK 266 27" LCD MONITOR

>>ONE THING TO NOTE IS I PURCHASED THE GTX 680 USED AND HAD TO OVEN BAKE IT WHEN I GOT IT CUZ IT HAD RED LINES RUNNING THRU SCREEN (375°F FOR 8 MIN)

>>ANY TECH HELP OR SUGGESTIONS ON HARDWARE, SOFTWARE OR SETUP WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED. I REALLY DO NEED ALL I CAN GET.

THANK YOU.

Depending on your motherboard it might very well run in flex mode, with the first 8GB in dual channel mode and just the extra 4GB in single channel mode. In that case there's no downside to installing the extra memory, just an upside if/when you use more than 8GB of RAM.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Depending on your motherboard it might very well run in flex mode, with the first 8GB in dual channel mode and just the extra 4GB in single channel mode. In that case there's no downside to installing the extra memory, just an upside if/when you use more than 8GB of RAM.

Thank u for the reply...How can I check on that? I don't think I've seen anything referring that in it's manual now that I think about it.

13 minutes ago, Bbop said:

Thank u for the reply...How can I check on that? I don't think I've seen anything referring that in it's manual now that I think about it.

It tends to be undocumented. I think the best way to test it would be to try it for yourself.

44 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

It tends to be undocumented. I think the best way to test it would be to try it for yourself.

Ok. And what results would I be looking for specifically? Just see if my gaming display improves? Or is there some site specific things I can look for? Sorry like I said, I'm not very fluent in this kind of thing. I can learn it just need to be taught

4 minutes ago, Bbop said:

Ok. And what results would I be looking for specifically? Just see if my gaming display improves? Or is there some site specific things I can look for? Sorry like I said, I'm not very fluent in this kind of thing. I can learn it just need to be taught

If you run CPU-Z and on the memory tab it says dual channel mode, then it's working. DC Mode ideally would also say asymmetric.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

If you run CPU-Z and on the memory tab it says dual channel mode, then it's working. DC Mode ideally would also say asymmetri

Awesome that's the kind of info I was looking for.. thank you very much

• 4 weeks later...