Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WIFI HELP

justin wickerd

So i live in the middle of know where ok i have crappy wifi i want wifi that is great for streaming but i cant get suddenlink or any good providers what can i do?

Perhaps try Ethernet

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 minutes ago, justin wickerd said:

So i live in the middle of know where ok i have crappy wifi i want wifi that is great for streaming but i cant get suddenlink or any good providers what can i do?

WiFi and a ISP is different. WiFi is a wireless networking standard. What I think your talking about is having a shit Internet provider. Some options are, 4G LTE or if your really lucky you might find a local WISP (Wireless Internet Provider), who basically have transmitters in the area that shoot signal to a transmitter on your home. Generally WISP's provide better service that 4G LTE. The shittiest option is Satellite internet, which as daily and monthly usage caps most of the time.

As far as faster your fucked. Move to the city. Suddenlink is a cable provider, and unless you live near your neighbors and have good population density they will NEVER wire you up to their network. If you lucky you might be able to pull off 3-6Mbps DSL if you can find a provider. But dont expect much. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

After doing an google search on internet providers for Romulus Michigan I see that your best bet for internet service is either AT&T or Xfinity.  The website below even allows you to pinpoint your location to check your options.

https://broadbandnow.com/Michigan/Romulus

SUMMARY OF INTERNET PROVIDERS IN ROMULUS

Provider Type Coverage Speed
AT&T Internet DSL 94.8%+ 75 Mbps
XFINITY from Comcast Cable 94.8%+ 150 Mbps
Charter Spectrum Cable 8.0%+ 300 Mbps
HughesNet Satellite 100% 25 Mbps
Comcast Business Cable 86.4%+ 150 Mbps
AT&T DSL 100% 75 Mbps
Metro Wireless Fixed Wireless 100% 1,000 Mbps
Crown Castle Fiber Fiber 41.0%+ 1,000 Mbps
Spectrum Business Cable 21.9%+ 300 Mbps
Windstream Business DSL 13.0%+ 10 Mbps
Show More

1 hour ago, justin wickerd said:

So, where do you live?

3 hours ago, kb5zue said:

So, where do you live?

I live in salyer California

I need a better provider and their isnt really any out here but it needs to be fast reliable and be able to stream regularly i dont care about pricing any advice?

31 minutes ago, justin wickerd said:

I need a better provider and their isnt really any out here but it needs to be fast reliable and be able to stream regularly i dont care about pricing any advice?

Ive seen post in the past where people were 1 mile from the cable network. In order to extend that said network the cable company wanted the home owners to pay $50k, because your basically required to pay for cabling, equipment and labor. On top of having a 2 to 3+ year contract. Keep in mind with the upgrading to Docsis 3.1 most cable cos are adding in more Fiber and taking out AMP's. Meaning the coax cant be extended as far as it once was, but Fiber is closer to the house. So if your too far, they then have to run Fiber and a new node. The issue is, they wont do this unless enough people on the route will sign up, they have to make the money back. There is a possibly suddenlink might be willing to run Fiber for the right price, but keep in mind you WILL have to pay for any cabling and equipment and you might be locked in to a high priced contract. 

Your best bet would be to find a WISP in your area that has decent speeds and hopefully no data cap. Other than that, the best option is moving closer to the city. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, justin wickerd said:

Wow, and I thought Fortuna was in the sticks, you're straight out on 299.  From what I can find you don't have much to choose from for internet service.  Either Frontier or Hughsnet.  Here in Fortuna I have Suddenstink, I don't have any experience with either Frontier or Hughsnet so the best I can do is wish you luck.  If you are ever in the neighborhood, you are welcome to use my Wifi.

9 hours ago, kb5zue said:

Wow, and I thought Fortuna was in the sticks, you're straight out on 299.  From what I can find you don't have much to choose from for internet service.  Either Frontier or Hughsnet.  Here in Fortuna I have Suddenstink, I don't have any experience with either Frontier or Hughsnet so the best I can do is wish you luck.  If you are ever in the neighborhood, you are welcome to use my Wifi.

Ok thanks for the advice

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Ive seen post in the past where people were 1 mile from the cable network. In order to extend that said network the cable company wanted the home owners to pay $50k, because your basically required to pay for cabling, equipment and labor. On top of having a 2 to 3+ year contract. Keep in mind with the upgrading to Docsis 3.1 most cable cos are adding in more Fiber and taking out AMP's. Meaning the coax cant be extended as far as it once was, but Fiber is closer to the house. So if your too far, they then have to run Fiber and a new node. The issue is, they wont do this unless enough people on the route will sign up, they have to make the money back. There is a possibly suddenlink might be willing to run Fiber for the right price, but keep in mind you WILL have to pay for any cabling and equipment and you might be locked in to a high priced contract. 

Your best bet would be to find a WISP in your area that has decent speeds and hopefully no data cap. Other than that, the best option is moving closer to the city. 

Ok thanks for the advice