Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PSU to CPU MB Help!

Waynelu127
 Share

My PSU has a CPU 1 and CPU 2 cable, while my MB needs a 4 pin and 8 pin. Would I use both the CPU 1 and 2 and use 3 of the 4 cpu cable heads?

059295F0-D4CA-4C3F-8898-68E284F8F1EF.jpeg

E3DFE64D-4658-4F7C-8313-EF5723B19D43.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

One full cable to the 8 pin and half of another to the 4 pin. Fold away the excess to have it looked pretty.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Waynelu127 said:

My PSU has a CPU 1 and CPU 2 cable, while my MB needs a 4 pin and 8 pin. Would I use both the CPU 1 and 2 and use 3 of the 4 cpu cable heads?

059295F0-D4CA-4C3F-8898-68E284F8F1EF.jpeg

E3DFE64D-4658-4F7C-8313-EF5723B19D43.jpeg

From what I can tell, you need to look at the connectors themselves and for the 4-pin use the one that has two U's and 2 squares (the one on the left in the image I provided) and then just use the other one as a normal 8-pin EPS connector.

eps4plus4index.jpg

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, UnreliablyGood said:

From what I can tell, you need to look at the connectors themselves and for the 4-pin use the one that has two U's and 2 squares (the one on the left in the image I provided) and then just use the other one as a normal 8-pin EPS connector.

eps4plus4index.jpg

 

10 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

One full cable to the 8 pin and half of another to the 4 pin. Fold away the excess to have it looked pretty.

How does this look? 

799B7119-E58C-4C2D-BC98-8E16C3502898.jpeg

1D2C0D76-E993-4000-92BE-AEE8C82F6ADC.jpeg

F2FB5984-1961-4531-98A0-6F629B8F3751.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Waynelu127 said:

How does this look? 

Looks good to me

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good yes but which one is plugged into the 4-pin connector?

 

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UnreliablyGood said:

Looks good yes but which one is plugged into the 4-pin connector?

 

This head isn’t plugged in 

image.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Waynelu127 said:

My PSU has a CPU 1 and CPU 2 cable, while my MB needs a 4 pin and 8 pin. Would I use both the CPU 1 and 2 and use 3 of the 4 cpu cable heads?

059295F0-D4CA-4C3F-8898-68E284F8F1EF.jpeg

E3DFE64D-4658-4F7C-8313-EF5723B19D43.jpeg

You don't need the 4pin plugged in. It's really there just for show, it'll be connected in parallel with the 8pin connector.

 

It's different to GPU power connectors (if the GPU is designed well), where you need both plugged in, because they power different things.

5 hours ago, Waynelu127 said:

This head isn’t plugged in 

image.jpg

And a floating cable is fine. You don't need every plug plugged into anything. It's exactly the same as having a modular cable not plugged in on your PSU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

You don't need the 4pin plugged in. It's really there just for show, it'll be connected in parallel with the 8pin connector.

 

It's different to GPU power connectors (if the GPU is designed well), where you need both plugged in, because they power different things.

And a floating cable is fine. You don't need every plug plugged into anything. It's exactly the same as having a modular cable not plugged in on your PSU.

So I did it correctly, right? Lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×