Swapping a graphics card

FelixSutton

I have GTX 1050ti and I’m thinking about upgrading to a GTX 1070.

Are they compatible and easy to switch? Do I need a specific motherboard or any cords?

3 minutes ago, FelixSutton said:

I have GTX 1050ti and I’m thinking about upgrading to a GTX 1070.

Are they compatible and easy to switch? Do I need a specific motherboard or any cords?

With a 1070 , you only really need a 500W PSU . Make sure that you have the right power connectors though. You can check this by looking at the power connectors ladled PCI-E on your power supply and seeing if they match up to the ones on the GPU. 

After you have installed the card , make sure that you update the drivers too then its all done . GPU is an easy upgrade that you can perfom

6 hours ago, Quagmaire said:

With a 1070 , you only really need a 500W PSU . Make sure that you have the right power connectors though. You can check this by looking at the power connectors ladled PCI-E on your power supply and seeing if they match up to the ones on the GPU. 

After you have installed the card , make sure that you update the drivers too then its all done . GPU is an easy upgrade that you can perfom

So I need a 500W power supply and the right power connectors? What if it my power supply is only 450W?

450w is fine. Quality matters more than wattage within reason . What model PSU do you have?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

3 minutes ago, asand1 said:

450w is fine. Quality matters more than wattage within reason . What model PSU do you have?

I don’t know. I’ll have to get my computer information sheet to find out. 

5 minutes ago, asand1 said:

I have never replaced a computer part before. How long would it take to change my 1050 ti with a 1070? 

20 minutes ago, campy said:

There's a little lever on the pcie x16 slot and there's a screw holding the bracket of the card to the case.

Remove the screw, unplug any cables that are powering the card (if you have a 1050ti that needed a 6 pin), press the little tab on the end of the slot and lift the card out.

then simply drop the 1070 into the same slot, push it in firmly so the tab locks it in place, then screw down the bracket

plug in the pcie power cable needed and you're good to go 

Thanks so much.

one more question. Will my i5-6400 bottleneck my 1070? Of course it will especially since I play mostly VR games but will it matter too much?