Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Salvageable Hardware?

p0i50nd

Hey guys first post here but I have been enjoying LTT on YouTube for quite some time.

I was wondering if you guys could help me solve a predicament I'm currently in. Here's the story:

I built my last gaming rig back in 2010 (I believe) and have been broke ever since and haven't had any ability to upgrade much of anything let alone build another new PC.

I was looking at my old order sheet when I built the computer and noticed some silly mistakes I made and I'm curious if there are any cost effective parts I can swap out to make this old beast sing again? I don't play bleeding edge games, I mostly want stable performance in overwatch, world of warcraft, and other similar games. I'd love to be able to play games like the new call of duty or battlefield but I'm not going to hold my breath that my old beast will be able to do those even on low.

Here's my parts list from 2010:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 6-Core 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 125W HDT90ZFBGRBOX Desktop Processor

MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

XFX Radeon HD 5850 DirectX 11 HD-585X-ZNFC 1GB 256-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready  (My friend gave me a Radeon R9 not sure model so most likely switch to that)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (I cringed when I saw I bought 4 sticks here but... budget)

XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER

Thermaltake Element G VL10001W2Z Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

2 Crappy WD platter drives

My first thoughts were to purchase a decent SSD, grab 2 8gb sticks of better ram (that's hopefully cheap now), and put the graphics card my friend gave to me in there and see how it goes.

Is it even worth it with this hardware? Would I be better off saving a few paychecks and putting together a $500 budget gaming pc? 

Just curious your guys' thoughts on this, I'm no noob to PC hardware but I now have an IT job that takes almost all of my time and I haven't had the chance to do the research necessary to find all the answers here and don't have the money yet to buy a nice rig.

Let me know if you have some ideas!

-D

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i would rather build something new for 500 bucks. do you mind second hand, or brand new only?

Normally I wouldn't mind second hand as long as it functions well. I was hoping there might be a few tweaks I can do to revive this guy and put off buying a new rig for 3-4 months... money is just so tight right now ?

Just now, p0i50nd said:

Normally I wouldn't mind second hand as long as it functions well. I was hoping there might be a few tweaks I can do to revive this guy and put off buying a new rig for 3-4 months... money is just so tight right now ?

well, you could add that ssd and ram now, but if you want some nice performence later (the cpu is ddr3, right?)

an example would be

4770k/4790k

rx 580/970/1060/390(x)

16 gigs of ram

ssd (your choise, brand new of course)

you can really start playing with a machine like that. and that psu might be time for a upgrade too, as it is 8 years old already. they aren't that expensive anymore

I’d say that you would want a new rig, but you could grab a new SSD that you could migrate to the new system, and then more RAM, which you couldn’t move since it’s DDR3. As far as what to do with the old one, Craigslist it when you have a new one

Starting to feel the ol beast is dead indeed. I retired it 3 years ago when I moved, haven't gotten to do much gaming since. I have a craptastic Lenovo laptop that can play WOW passably but can't do much else. 

What would you even ask for an old 2010 machine on craigslist? 

3 minutes ago, p0i50nd said:

Starting to feel the ol beast is dead indeed. I retired it 3 years ago when I moved, haven't gotten to do much gaming since. I have a craptastic Lenovo laptop that can play WOW passably but can't do much else. 

What would you even ask for an old 2010 machine on craigslist? 

yeah, i don't even know... it's kinda power hungry too... i can do no more than guessing

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah, i don't even know... it's kinda power hungry too... i can do no more than guessing

Yeah, hard to find someone who knows that weird processor I got well nowadays. 

I built a similar system for a friend's brother, it still serves him really well after putting a 1060 6GB in it over the free 6870 I gave him. There's a few architectural changes which make a huge difference in certain workloads like AVX, ect. With an overclock though the 1090T is still adequately powerful for most people.

My advice would be to remove the 5850 ASAP, in most games this won't be adequate for anything newer than around when it was new. Find anything else, a GTX 970 or 1070 would suit it well. Next you need an SDD, that alone is going to turn the entire system around into something that feels brand new in performance. I'd also suggest finding another 4gb of ram at the minimum although you don't need more than 12-16gb. Aside from the ram, the rest can easily go into your next build if it turns out to not do what you're wanting it to. All of the games you listed should run perfectly fine with a decent GPU alone.

1 hour ago, Slayer3032 said:

I built a similar system for a friend's brother, it still serves him really well after putting a 1060 6GB in it over the free 6870 I gave him. There's a few architectural changes which make a huge difference in certain workloads like AVX, ect. With an overclock though the 1090T is still adequately powerful for most people.

My advice would be to remove the 5850 ASAP, in most games this won't be adequate for anything newer than around when it was new. Find anything else, a GTX 970 or 1070 would suit it well. Next you need an SDD, that alone is going to turn the entire system around into something that feels brand new in performance. I'd also suggest finding another 4gb of ram at the minimum although you don't need more than 12-16gb. Aside from the ram, the rest can easily go into your next build if it turns out to not do what you're wanting it to. All of the games you listed should run perfectly fine with a decent GPU alone.

This is what I was thinking of trying if I could find the parts cheap enough. I've got to figure out what sort of ram works best with the board and cpu, that's my next journey and to price that out. I've got to dig that graphics card given to me and figure out how good it is, maybe the old beast will turn a new leaf for a few months :)

Well, if you're up for a bit of a gamble. I just bought 6 sticks of this for my X58 build after seeing these for about half what they usually go for. DDR3 ECC memory goes for next to nothing as ebay is flooded with used server hardware.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Apple-Micron-4GB-PC3-14900E-ECC-Mac-Pro-PC-RAM-1866-DDR3-DIMM/123527606435

AMD platforms are supposed to support ECC memory, Unbuffered ECC specifically. I haven't personally tried it on an AMD motherboard though. You should be able to use Unbuffered ECC as am I with my platform. I have a Phenom II 945 BE in my spare computer, I'll be putting my previous Samsung 1333mhz 2gb sticks that I take out of this computer and see if they work in that thing and it's on a junk AM3 board. I can post my results in like a week when I get them if you'd like my confirmation ECC works on my completely different chipset and a slightly similar cpu.

22 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

Well, if you're up for a bit of a gamble. I just bought 6 sticks of this for my X58 build after seeing these for about half what they usually go for. DDR3 ECC memory goes for next to nothing as ebay is flooded with used server hardware.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Apple-Micron-4GB-PC3-14900E-ECC-Mac-Pro-PC-RAM-1866-DDR3-DIMM/123527606435

AMD platforms are supposed to support ECC memory, Unbuffered ECC specifically. I haven't personally tried it on an AMD motherboard though. You should be able to use Unbuffered ECC as am I with my platform. I have a Phenom II 945 BE in my spare computer, I'll be putting my previous Samsung 1333mhz 2gb sticks that I take out of this computer and see if they work in that thing and it's on a junk AM3 board. I can post my results in like a week when I get them if you'd like my confirmation ECC works on my completely different chipset and a slightly similar cpu.

Nice I might have to try that! My current idea is to buy a used 1060 6gb from ebay, buy a 500gb ssd new and slap those in my old system and see how it goes. After doing some research on my motherboard apparently I had been sort of improperly OC'ing the ram and that could be why it had such abysmal performance. 

The old beast has been sitting for 3 years and has a LOT of dust buildup so it should be a fun project for a rainy weekend after I get paid and acquire the parts :) 

Worst case I save the 1060 for my budget new build and in a few months just scrap together something from used parts.

Spent the greater part of today having to reformat my wow laptop because it just gave up the ghost this morning. Luckily I had most everything backed up externally but this dumb Lenovo laptop is such a pain reformatting with win10. I only have wireless internet (hotspot) so when the wifi doesn't get recognized by windows and I couldn't predownload the drivers from lenovo it got a bit tricky. 

But alas it has life again, I guess my HDD wasn't going out afterall and it just needed a nice fresh OS install. Going to take me months to redownload everything though, price of living out in the country with no access.

Interested to hear what comes of your memory gamble, keep me posted! 

I wouldn't recommend the memory, it doesn't work with the default settings and required me to mismatch a stick to boot.

If my motherboard goes to safe, default settings due to failing to boot it will continue failing to boot most likely until I swap another stick back in and reconfirm my overclock. These are more issues with my personal setup and if swapping sticks around occasionally until the system is setup doesn't bother you and you want really cheap ram. They do technically work and they're cheap.

didn't read all the responses (or any of them), go ahead and get an SSD, you'll NEED that regardless of any other decision you make. beyond that I just cannot advise investing money in buying out of date hardware like DDR3 ram or any CPU that would fit that socket, even used parts today are selling for to much relative to modern hardware (I could sell my 6700k for more then I paid for my 1700 for example and the 1700 has TWICE as many cores/threads) so swapping to older Intel doesn't really make sense, buying new is the smarter move at this point, especially if the Ryzen 3000 rumors pan out on Wednesday at CES, if the rumors are true you'll be able to get a 6 core 12 thread Ryzen that boosts into the low 4Ghz's range for around a hundred to 130 which would totally make it worth upgrading to and allow you to do a killer $500 budget PC, you could do CPU, MOBO and RAM (16GB) for around $300-$350 if those numbers are true, then sell your old CPU, MOBO and RAM and combine that money with the with the remaining budget and use that to buy a decent modern GPU around $200.

looking at recently sold on Ebay that CPU you have is selling for between 50 and 100 bucks by itself, which only further helps support my suggestion.

Yeah I'm hoping Wednesday hold some good news. I've been looking at used hardware around me (smalltown area) and there are a few decent possibilities in the cheap range, but we'll see!

Appreciate taking the time to look at it though.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:57 AM, p0i50nd said:

Hey guys first post here but I have been enjoying LTT on YouTube for quite some time.

I was wondering if you guys could help me solve a predicament I'm currently in. Here's the story:

I built my last gaming rig back in 2010 (I believe) and have been broke ever since and haven't had any ability to upgrade much of anything let alone build another new PC.

I was looking at my old order sheet when I built the computer and noticed some silly mistakes I made and I'm curious if there are any cost effective parts I can swap out to make this old beast sing again? I don't play bleeding edge games, I mostly want stable performance in overwatch, world of warcraft, and other similar games. I'd love to be able to play games like the new call of duty or battlefield but I'm not going to hold my breath that my old beast will be able to do those even on low.

Here's my parts list from 2010:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 6-Core 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 125W HDT90ZFBGRBOX Desktop Processor

MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

XFX Radeon HD 5850 DirectX 11 HD-585X-ZNFC 1GB 256-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready  (My friend gave me a Radeon R9 not sure model so most likely switch to that)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (I cringed when I saw I bought 4 sticks here but... budget)

XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER

Thermaltake Element G VL10001W2Z Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

2 Crappy WD platter drives

My first thoughts were to purchase a decent SSD, grab 2 8gb sticks of better ram (that's hopefully cheap now), and put the graphics card my friend gave to me in there and see how it goes.

Is it even worth it with this hardware? Would I be better off saving a few paychecks and putting together a $500 budget gaming pc? 

Just curious your guys' thoughts on this, I'm no noob to PC hardware but I now have an IT job that takes almost all of my time and I haven't had the chance to do the research necessary to find all the answers here and don't have the money yet to buy a nice rig.

Let me know if you have some ideas!

-D

There's no real way to 'upgrade' what you have, CPU & MB are 3 gens old, ram is 1 gen old. A new graphics card may help, but you're going to run in a CPU bottleneck unless the games are really old ones.

You could salvage some stuff, the case and PSU (if it's still compatible) and the hard drives for storage, the rest could do with replacing to be honest.

But it doesn't have to be expensive, an AM4 motherboard and a Ryzen 3 like the A320M boards and a Ryzen 3 2200G with 8GB of DDR4 can be bought for £220 in the UK, and I'd put money on US prices being better as usual. If you go with 8GB, make sure it's 2x 4GB as dual channel will help too.

ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=15470

Throw in as large an SSD as you can afford and reuse your existing peripherals, and you'd have something you can build on for a few years to come. if you could stretch to a B450 motherboard and a Ryzen 5... you'd be in better shape and still under 500 dollars. I don't know what capacity your mechanical drives are, or if they're SATA II or III... But  you may have room for a 1TB 7200rpm drive in that budget too if yours are really old and well used... Hell, if you were in the UK, I've got a few old SATA III drives laying around as spares... 3x 500GB and a 1TB and you'd be welcome to have one of those. But with shipping over there, it'd be cheaper to buy a new one.

You've got a replacement video card, the R9 series in 3 gens old now... you don't specify which one... but if it's at least a 270 or 280 you should be fine with the games you mentioned.

Plus you can build on in the future, the AM4 platform will be around for a few years to come, so replacing the CPU at a later date and the video card can be done any time... Adding a little more ram further down the road too... But make sure that your MB has 4 DIMM slots so you can add the same ram again later, rather than replacing it with 2x8GB (I made that mistake with my first HTPC build 12yrs ago back when DDR2 was still in use)

Don't be afraid to buy second hand either, I've done mini refreshes and upgrades with used parts on many occasions... In fact I just sold an old Phenom 2 955BE, motherboard and 4GB ram to a friend recently, he wanted a mini diagnostic PC in his garage for his cars.

With a budget of $500, you'd be surprised what you could get used.

Good luck

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.