Tearing

EchoBlue

Quick question

1. If you build an Intel or AMD based CPU PC with a Nvidia GPU and a Freesync monitor will you still experience tearing in the game?

Thank you

I have a gtx 1070ti and a freesync monitor and have no issues at all.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

That really depends.

I get minor screen tearing on Rocket League, but nowhere else. This happens with both my GTX 780, and my Radeon HD 7950. I have a FreeSync display as well(although neither card supports FreeSync).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Thing is that I am planning to build a new PC in 2019 but not sure if its worth buying a Nvidia card or go AMD. 

I heard Freesync monitor is something I should consider and if I do don't I need a AMD GPU to run Freesync?

I also wanted to know why do people go with Nvidia GPU when it won't do Freesync? 

I'm I believe you experience screen tearing when your monitor has a refreshrate too low for your graphics card. The monitor cannot keep up with the frames that are being pushed out by the gpu and so you see tearing. If you are experience this you may need to buy a monitor with a 144hz refresh rate or higher. 

6 hours ago, EchoBlue said:

I also wanted to know why do people go with Nvidia GPU when it won't do Freesync? 

if you buy a monitor with a high enough refresh rate having freesync or vsync for Nvidia doesn't matter. These just cap your gpu output to a certain amount of frames. That's why if you apply the free or v sync in game it will cap your fps at 60 or what ever it thinks is right

6 hours ago, Ethan Schoonbee said:

if you buy a monitor with a high enough refresh rate having freesync or vsync for Nvidia doesn't matter. These just cap your gpu output to a certain amount of frames. That's why if you apply the free or v sync in game it will cap your fps at 60 or what ever it thinks is right

The question is why do people limit themselves and get themselves an NVIDIA GPU if you have a freesync monitor? 

Instead they should go AMD GPU with freesync monitor? 

Freesync doesn't give any advantage what so ever. It limits preformance and lowers frames so as to run smoother. So as long as you have a good enough GPU and a good enough monitor you don't even need Freesync. By having a good enough monitor who cares about freesync. Take for example if you take a monitor with a 144hz refreshrate and freesync. I put a 1080ti in there. I will get 100-200 fps on most games. Okay now I put an Vega 64 in. I will get around 100-150 fps. then I put freesync on. This will now cap my fps at 60fps and will therefore give you less preformance. It give no preformance boost. The only way it will benifit will be in the case where your monitor does not have an adequate refreshrate and screen tearing occurs. The freesync will try its best to cap fps and stop tearing from occurring. 

Just now, Ethan Schoonbee said:

Freesync doesn't give any advantage what so ever. It limits preformance and lowers frames so as to run smoother. So as long as you have a good enough GPU and a good enough monitor you don't even need Freesync. By having a good enough monitor who cares about freesync. Take for example if you take a monitor with a 144hz refreshrate and freesync. I put a 1080ti in there. I will get 100-200 fps on most games. Okay now I put an Vega 64 in. I will get around 100-150 fps. then I put freesync on. This will now cap my fps at 60fps and will therefore give you less preformance. It give no preformance boost. The only way it will benifit will be in the case where your monitor does not have an adequate refreshrate and screen tearing occurs. The freesync will try its best to cap fps and stop tearing from occurring. 

Just so I'm clear this is from my personal experience with Freesync and Gsync. I do not know the exact technical way that they operate but from monitoring the effects they have I deduce this is what occurs. If anyone knows more than me plzz explain I would love to know more ?

10 minutes ago, Ethan Schoonbee said:

Just so I'm clear this is from my personal experience with Freesync and Gsync. I do not know the exact technical way that they operate but from monitoring the effects they have I deduce this is what occurs. If anyone knows more than me plzz explain I would love to know more ?

This what Linus says. 

Which brings me back to the question why people get an Nvidia GPU and a Freesync monitor...