BIG Sound problem! >:(

M4XvPA1N

I need some serious help finding fans that will stay quiet. My case is a Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra Super Tower. I have 1 top 200mm fan, 1 200mm on the side, and 2x 120mm in the front. Either it's just me or it sounds like a microwave is on the whole time. <--LOL. Since the Blackhawk doesn't have any side panel that you can look through I don't particularly care what color fans I put in. (Ok maybe not those dumb tan colored Noctua fans) But seriously, I have tried to change the fan speed numerous times in my UEFI but for some reason the speed doesn't change. Need compromise fast. Thanks..

Also, preferably no LED and I don't want to buy a fan controller.

To be honest Noctua make the best fans. Even if they are ugly... Silverstone Air penetrators perform well and are quiet also. LNA and ULNA adaptors do worlds for noise also... But can reduce airflow. Get some good SP fans and run them slowly.

AMD FX 6300 4.0GHz, Noctua NH-UB9 ASUS GTX 650 Ti DirectCUII, 12 GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz CL9. Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Samsung SSD 840 120GB, Hitachi Ultrastar 7200RPM 500GB HDD. 450W XFX Pro 80+ Bronze housed in a CM Silencio 550.

To be honest Noctua make the best fans. Even if they are ugly... Silverstone Air penetrators perform well and are quiet also. LNA and ULNA adaptors do worlds for noise also... But can reduce airflow. Get some good SP fans and run them slowly.
SP fans? Sorry, fans aren't my "go to" sort of thing.

Hello!

I highly recommend BitFenix Spectre Pro/Basic 200mm. They're all quiet and come in a wide range of eye catching colours and LED capabilities. Also they sell for SUPER cheap for under $10.00. I have 2 Spectre Pro White LED's in my rig and they look and sound awesome!

Hello!

I highly recommend BitFenix Spectre Pro/Basic 200mm. They're all quiet and come in a wide range of eye catching colours and LED capabilities. Also they sell for SUPER cheap for under $10.00. I have 2 Spectre Pro White LED's in my rig and they look and sound awesome!

Thanks man.

Static Pressure

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure you use "rubber screws" to mount the fans. They dampen the vibration and make quiet fans even quieter. I use them and they definiltly make a difference. You can get them on eBay for a few dollars and they are worth every penny.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16X-Rubber-Cooling-PC-Fan-Anti-Vibration-Silicone-Mount-Screws-Pin-Rivet-Fan-/400472756625?pt=US_Computer_Case_Fans&hash=item5d3e095191

I'm gonna disagree there, if we're talking intake and exhaust fans, get some AF (air flow) fans, they'll move more air more silently. SP fans are for radiators and heat sinks, or if you want to direct air stream at a specific point in the case (Focused Airflow SP).

Getting Noctua for the 200mm fans can be an issue as Noctua doesn't go that big. Bigger fans will deliver more air more quietly than smaller fans. 

I'm gonna disagree there, if we're talking intake and exhaust fans, get some AF (air flow) fans, they'll move more air more silently. SP fans are for radiators and heat sinks, or if you want to direct air stream at a specific point in the case (Focused Airflow SP).

Getting Noctua for the 200mm fans can be an issue as Noctua doesn't go that big. Bigger fans will deliver more air more quietly than smaller fans. 

However most intake fans are usually wanting to be directed at a warm component, like a GPU. Or they will be trying to push air through a drive cage which will prohibit airflow. Also fans like Noctua NF-F12's are quiet and undervolt well also.

AMD FX 6300 4.0GHz, Noctua NH-UB9 ASUS GTX 650 Ti DirectCUII, 12 GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz CL9. Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Samsung SSD 840 120GB, Hitachi Ultrastar 7200RPM 500GB HDD. 450W XFX Pro 80+ Bronze housed in a CM Silencio 550.

However most intake fans are usually wanting to be directed at a warm component, like a GPU. Or they will be trying to push air through a drive cage which will prohibit airflow. Also fans like Noctua NF-F12's are quiet and undervolt well also.

Fortunately, the GPU has its own fan, and as long as there's good circulation of fresh air in the case, it'll be fine. Noctua themselves only recommend the NF-N12s for radiators and heat sinks, for all other uses they recommend either NF-P12s or NF-S12As. The first ones are quieter, moves a little more air and is still pressure optimized, just not as much. The second ones are even quieter and moves even more air. For side panel and exhaust you definitely want to go with the NF-S12As. For front intake, you might stretch to the NF-P12s.

I actually sent them an email once, asking at what distances to a restrictive object I might want to switch from the one to the other when it came to case ventilation, and what they basically said in return was that I should not use the NF-F12s for any ventilation purposes and then they gave me a short summary of what I knew from this page

http://noctua.at/main.php?show=which_fan_is_right_for_me&lng=en

Be Quiet! fans are my favourite for noise-to-performance ratio, and they're cheaper than Noctuas.

However, you could just resist your loudest fans down to 7v using a small adapter available at most electronics shops. I'm going to take a wild guess that your 200mm fans are Cooler Master Megaflows which are possibly the most obnoxious fans in the world, and somehow also the most popular among builder newbies. If that's what you have I would definitely look at Spectre 200mms.

Larger fans have lower pitch noise though, so if your noise problem seems high pitched then it's the 120mms or the CPU cooler that is the problem.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Are you sure it's not the GPU making all that noise?

I have realized that turning the fan speed on the GPU down to 40% from 55% makes my computer like half as loud.