Using an APU with dedicated graphics card

Go to solution Solved by pstarlord,
23 minutes ago, kev0 said:

This is my part list so far and I’ve started to read about the usage of APUs and dedicated graphics cards. This is starting to make me think twice about buying an APU such as the Ryzen 3 3200g to use with the RX 570. Would like help with picking a new processor if using an APU is not a good choice.

For that price, that's a great build with a very easy upgrade path down the line.  That motherboard supports a variety of upgrade options at CPU if you want to down the line.  You can always find a second stick of the same RAM to add dual channel.   I'd really try to add a small SSD to the build, just as a boot drive for Windows and other programs.  it'll make your overall experience a bit smoother.  

As for the APU, it's been said, but you don't NEED to use its integrated graphics.  It is great to have though if you ever need to trouble shoot your graphics card.

This is my part list so far and I’ve started to read about the usage of APUs and dedicated graphics cards. This is starting to make me think twice about buying an APU such as the Ryzen 3 3200g to use with the RX 570. Would like help with picking a new processor if using an APU is not a good choice.

The APU is fine, you can just opt out of using the integrated graphics by putting your video cable into the graphics card (which you would do anyway)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

The APU is fine, you can just opt out of using the integrated graphics by putting your video cable into the graphics card (which you would do anyway)

Unless I'm dumb you have to disable the APU manually in the BIOS.

For the price - the APU is likely your best option. There is no issue with using a discrete graphics card with an APU. Most Intel CPUs also come with integrated graphics and discrete graphics cards are used instead in several cases. You're fine.

Just now, ears_ears said:

Unless I'm dumb you have to disable the APU manually in the BIOS.

Nope, but you may need to change the default video source.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

23 minutes ago, kev0 said:

For that price, that's a great build with a very easy upgrade path down the line.  That motherboard supports a variety of upgrade options at CPU if you want to down the line.  You can always find a second stick of the same RAM to add dual channel.   I'd really try to add a small SSD to the build, just as a boot drive for Windows and other programs.  it'll make your overall experience a bit smoother.  

As for the APU, it's been said, but you don't NEED to use its integrated graphics.  It is great to have though if you ever need to trouble shoot your graphics card.