DAC/Amp question

DVA

Hey guys, I plan to begin recording some footage soon and I was just wondering if things like a DAC/Amp is worth getting at the lower price points. Will it help with audio feedback and the recording process at all? 

Price point on this is rather low since my knowledge is very limited. I'd like to stay below $50 until I get to know more about these, but I feel like a $50 is a decent starting/practice point. 

If you guys have any helpful, useful, or additional information, please post them. 

i would just give the advise in general? do you need it? if you have a good mobo, you're fine

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i would just give the advise in general? do you need it? if you have a good mobo, you're fine

I feel like my motherboard is fine as of now, but I was hoping for any higher quality if possible. Sometimes my audio does seem a bit lower than what it could or should be. 

For reference, I'm using an EVGA Z370 FTW board. 

Just now, DVA said:

I feel like my motherboard is fine as of now, but I was hoping for any higher quality if possible. Sometimes my audio does seem a bit lower than what it could or should be. 

For reference, I'm using an EVGA Z370 FTW board. 

it probebly isn't going to change much at that pricepoint. other users are allowed to show me else, i am open for change

1 hour ago, DVA said:

Hey guys, I plan to begin recording some footage soon and I was just wondering if things like a DAC/Amp is worth getting at the lower price points. Will it help with audio feedback and the recording process at all? 

Price point on this is rather low since my knowledge is very limited. I'd like to stay below $50 until I get to know more about these, but I feel like a $50 is a decent starting/practice point. 

If you guys have any helpful, useful, or additional information, please post them. 

Im kinda confused. Do you mean a dac and amp for your microphone..?

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

DAC/AMP Combo are meant for output/as a decoder not as an input.

If you want a good quality audio you'll need.

1.An external audio recorder such as Zhoom h4n

2.A good quality microphone preferably the one that use XLR (make sure you get the right one for your needs) and

3.The knowledge on how to use them

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

18 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Im kinda confused. Do you mean a dac and amp for your microphone..?

I wanted to receive feedback mostly via headphones.

9 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

DAC/AMP Combo are meant for output/as a decoder not as an input.

If you want a good quality audio you'll need.

1.An external audio recorder such as Zhoom h4n

2.A good quality microphone preferably the one that use XLR (make sure you get the right one for your needs) and

3.The knowledge on how to use them

I've recently purchased a Blue Yeti microphone and Nylon pop filter, so XLR is out of the question for now. (I did not want to go balls to the wall and go all out on a quality XLR yet)

I totally agree, I need to further my knowledge on this. 

Just now, DVA said:

I've recently purchased a Blue Yeti microphone and Nylon pop filter, so XLR is out of the question for now. (I did not want to go balls to the wall and go all out on a quality XLR yet)

Ah for your headphones. you could get a soundcard/usb dac

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

50 minutes ago, DVA said:

So for your headphone, You confused me a bit because you said recording process.

Your motherboard is good enough and i don't think buying say $99 DAC/AMP combo would make any noticeable difference.

I'd say its best to invest more on the recording equipment themselves and the headphone..you'll need a good monitoring headphone with a flat'ish sounds signature but those comes with a price and a good one would cost lots of money

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Just now, Hiya! said:

So for your headphone, You confused me a bit because you said recording process.

Your motherboard is good enough and i don't think buying say $99 DAC/AMP combo would make any noticeable difference.

I'd say its best to invest more on the recording equipment themselves and the headphone..you'll need a good monitoring headphone with a flat'ish sounds signature but those comes with a price and a good one would cost lots of money

I say recording process as in audio feedback, my apologies for the confusion. 

As said before, I just purchased a Blue Yeti and filter so that will be my recording microphone for now. 

As for the headphones, I was looking at two, The Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6xx's or the AudioTechnica ATH M50x. I am unsure of which ones to get. 

8 minutes ago, DVA said:

As said before, I just purchased a Blue Yeti and filter so that will be my recording microphone for now. 

As for the headphones, I was looking at two, The Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6xx's or the AudioTechnica ATH M50x. I am unsure of which ones to get. 

HD6XX isnt a monitoring headphone and the M50x are known for its bad reputation..its just an M40x with a bass and treble boost..it failed as a monitoring headphone.

If you're on the market for M50x i'd say get the M40x or AKG K240 mark II

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Honestly, that that price point the amp/dac combo i believe wouldn't sound that great. They're legit better off getting used an amp/dac combo. You can get an JDS Labs O2 amp/dac for around 60-80 used. It's much better quality than a 50 dollar amp/dac combo, they're better off saving their next paycheck for something ages better.  

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

On 12/26/2018 at 2:59 PM, DVA said:

The ATH M50x aren't that great, honestly you can get better headphones. The sennheiser HD 598, or 599. Are ages better, even for monitoring. The m50x/m50 are sightly v shaped. The highs and treble are sightly harsh when overdriven.

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."