Missing AM4 CPU COOLER BRACKET

TheRiskk

Hello so I have just purchased this http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-ml240l-rgb/

After getting the correct bracket onto the cooler itself I have noticed that I am missing the two pieces that came with the motherboard itself, see attached for image am I able to do this another way or can I buy this somewhere thank you 

Screenshot_20181226-115631.png

The 2 things that came with the motherboard are am3 cooler adaptors, so you could use am3 coolers. In this case reading the manual it seems that the cooler uses am3 mounting, so just mount the cooler to the motherboard included pieces.

image.thumb.png.2627a08951d44b4611019e0722ff64f6.png

The am3 mount expects the motherboard to include these notches, so as you can see the cooler itself doesnt include them.

image.thumb.png.c6dfa16f87222e7af9ba89a000218d51.png

TLDR: Just use the motherboard provided pieces

Also dont build your pc naked.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

you don't do that?

/s

If you need the AM4 mounting brackets, you can buy these on ebay. Or find a broken board and harvest them. Puzzling that your board doesn't come with them though, every AM4 board does. Did you remove them?

@Origami Cactus, assuming he has an AM4 board (which I can only assume he does based on his subject title), then those brackets are obviously AM4 ones, as is the socket. He therefore won't be able to use AM3 mounting on it.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

26 minutes ago, atomicus said:

If you need the AM4 mounting brackets, you can buy these on ebay. Or find a broken board and harvest them. Puzzling that your board doesn't come with them though, every AM4 board does. Did you remove them?

@Origami Cactus, assuming he has an AM4 board (which I can only assume he does based on his subject title), then those brackets are obviously AM4 ones, as is the socket. He therefore won't be able to use AM3 mounting on it.

Yes I have an 1600x I removed them a while ago as my previous cooler didn't use them and just cannot currently find them

33 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

On the contrary, that's the best way to build the PC as you don't have any cloth that could charge your body up.

Only makes sense on a tiled surface or so, on a carpet its bad anyway because that can also charge up your body.

And if you then touch something, its bad for the components (=could die)...

20 minutes ago, atomicus said:

assuming he has an AM4 board (which I can only assume he does based on his subject title), then those brackets are obviously AM4 ones, as is the socket. He therefore won't be able to use AM3 mounting on it.

Depends what we are talking about.

If we are talking about the clips like shown in the picture, YOU are wrong. As the clips are the same from Socke 754 and 940 up to AM4 as well. So all somewhat modern AMD do work with that...

If we are talking about some bolt through thingy, where he has to remove the Bracket that comes with the Board, you are mostly right. Mostly because there are some rare exeptions that do have AM2-3/FM1/2 - for example ASUS X370-F Strix.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just now, TheRiskk said:

Yes I have an 1600x I removed them a while ago as my previous cooler didn't use them and just cannot currently find them

Ah OK. I've only ever seen them on eBay or Amazon... should be easy enough to find.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

6 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

If we are talking about the clips like shown in the picture, YOU are wrong. As the clips are the same from Socke 754 and 940 up to AM4 as well. So all somewhat modern AMD do work with that...

If we are talking about some bolt through thingy, where he has to remove the Bracket that comes with the Board, you are mostly right. Mostly because there are some rare exeptions that do have AM2-3/FM1/2 - for example ASUS X370-F Strix.

I believe he's talking about the black plastic mounting brackets (with silver screws) that comes with his (and any) AM4 board. I mean, he says "two pieces that came with the motherboard itself" and the picture he's posted shows them with someone (un)screwing them. 

I don't know what clips you're talking about? AM4 boards have AM4 mounting brackets... that's what he needs.

AM3 vs AM4... Asus X370-F clearly has AM4...

C28ZYrMUAAAOPhx.jpg:large

1rogstrix_x370-f.jpg

4 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Ah OK. I've only ever seen them on eBay or Amazon... should be easy enough to find.

Can you help me ? It's for the assignment x370 pro prime board, using then cooler master liquid 240

5 minutes ago, TheRiskk said:

Can you help me ? It's for the assignment x370 pro prime board, using then cooler master liquid 240

Just go to eBay or Amazon for your country and type "AM4 mounting bracket"... you should see them. Worst case, you can order from another country and have sent, shouldn't be too expensive for such a small part. Obviously a pain to have to wait for them to get delivered though.

See pic I posted above for what they look like.

Oh, and FYI, careful not to overtighten. I snapped one of the clips on a build before being a bit aggressive when tightening the cooler down. Finger tight is really all it needs, don't go at it with a screwdriver too much.

Yes those two black plastic bits are the bits, I've looked on Amazon and I cannot see any (UK) I cannot get them from cooler master as they don't ship to UK either

47 minutes ago, atomicus said:

@atomicus Quote like this, then people get a notification.

Anyways i had the understanding that am4 mounting was just the holes in the motherboard, and those clip type mounting hardware were am3.

Because for mounting any am4 coolers ive had to remove the clip things, but for am3 coolers ive had to use the clip mechanism.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 minutes ago, TheRiskk said:

Yes those two black plastic bits are the bits, I've looked on Amazon and I cannot see any (UK) I cannot get them from cooler master as they don't ship to UK either

Here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-AM4-AMD-CPU-Cooler-Mounting-Brackets-with-Screws/183426270263?hash=item2ab50ec437:g:3vkAAOSwG9Zblofl:rk:1:pf:0

23 minutes ago, atomicus said:

I don't know what clips you're talking about? AM4 boards have AM4 mounting brackets... that's what he needs.

The clip that clips the CPU Heatsink to the Plastic nose.

That one.

So you can use an old Socket 754 Heatsink on AM4. Or the new Wraith Prism (but not the other ones).
For example you could use this old AM2 Cooler with AM4:
https://www.ht4u.net/reviews/2007/coolerroundup2007/index3.php

Or any other "clipped" cooler. Like Scythe Shuriken...

AM3 vs AM4... Asus X370-F clearly has AM4...

Ähm, I have an ASUS X370-F and it has holes for AM3. You can see that on the picture as well.

Right next to the Screws (under on the upper and above on the lower screws, outside the RM) you can see the AM3 holes.

7 minutes ago, TheRiskk said:

You mean this one?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Idealforce-Retention-hook-type-air-cooled-water-cooled/dp/B07M8G1C31/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1545830614&sr=8-2&keywords=AM4+Retention

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

@atomicus Quote like this, then people get a notification.

Anyways i had the understanding that am4 mounting was just the holes in the motherboard, and those clip type mounting hardware were am3.

Because for mounting any am4 coolers ive had to remove the clip things, but for am3 coolers ive had to use the clip mechanism.

Some AM4 AIO coolers (Coolermaster and some Corsairs I know from personal experience), use those mounting brackets. They don't get removed. Most air coolers require the brackets to be removed, but the backplate to stay, while others (BeQuiet for example) require both clips and backplate to be removed and their own solution put in place. It varies.

It should be obvious from the picture I posted above and AM3 and AM4 are different sizes. AM3 is longer and narrower. They are not compatible with each other at all.

28 minutes ago, atomicus said:

20 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Just go to eBay or Amazon for your country and type "AM4 mounting bracket"... you should see them. Worst case, you can order from another country and have sent, shouldn't be too expensive for such a small part. Obviously a pain to have to wait for them to get delivered though.

See pic I posted above for what they look like.

Oh, and FYI, careful not to overtighten. I snapped one of the clips on a build before being a bit aggressive when tightening the cooler down. Finger tight is really all it needs, don't go at it with a screwdriver too much.

No I believe it to be this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-AM4-AMD-CPU-Cooler-Mounting-Brackets-with-Screws/183426270263?hash=item2ab50ec437:g:3vkAAOSwG9Zblofl:rk:1:pf:0

Just seeing if it definitely is and if its cheapest option

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Ähm, I have an ASUS X370-F and it has holes for AM3. You can see that on the picture as well.

Right next to the Screws (under on the upper and above on the lower screws, outside the RM) you can see the AM3 holes.

Ah yes I see... interesting. Can't be many boards with that. The board he has (Asus X370 Pro Prime) doesn't anyway.

Just now, atomicus said:

Ah yes I see... interesting. Can't be many boards with that. The board he has (Asus X370 Pro Prime) doesn't anyway.

It came with it but with the cooler master 212 hyper Evo it didn't need it I will purchase it and just hope 

4 minutes ago, TheRiskk said:

It came with it but with the cooler master 212 hyper Evo it didn't need it I will purchase it and just hope 

I mean those holes... that X370-F Strix is one of few boards I've seen that has AM3 mounting holes. Your board doesn't. Consequently you need the AM4 mounting brackets for the Coolermaster AIO you have. No other cooler will come with those, but I don't think any air cooler would need them anyway, it's only certain AIOs that use those brackets, but I may be wrong and there could be exceptions as I've not used every AM4 air cooler on the market.

7 minutes ago, TheRiskk said:

Yes that's the one I posted... cheapest genuine ones I've seen, unless he could find a duff broken board for less and harvest them.

8 minutes ago, atomicus said:

I mean those holes... that X370-F Strix is one of few boards I've seen that has AM3 mounting holes. Your board doesn't. Consequently you need the AM4 mounting brackets for the Coolermaster AIO you have. No other cooler will come with those, but I don't think any air cooler would need them anyway, it's only certain AIOs that use those brackets, but I may be wrong and there could be exceptions as I've not used every AM4 air cooler on the market.

Yes that's the one I posted... cheapest genuine ones I've seen, unless he could find a duff broken board for less and harvest them.

I will just buy it and thank you