100% Power Draw?

xsoriginal
Go to solution Solved by Majestic,

That's GPU power my duderino. It shouldn't do 107% though when it's in stock config as it should be properly throttling at 100%, but it's not that big of a worry. 

You can only really measure DC system wattage consumption with a kill-a-watt meter or something and converting for efficiency losses. So say you measure 350W from the wall, and you have an 80% efficiency power supply, that's 280W DC (350*0,8). That number shouldn't exceed 450W in your case. Which with a 8100 and 1060 it never, ever will.

Hi everyone,

So I've just built my computer and I'm noticing that I'm getting power limits triggered on afterburner. Not sure if this is a problem or not. It shows that when the CPU and GPU are both being stressed, that the power draw goes over 100% at times. It was my understanding that the draw shouldn't get close to maxing the PSU with these components...

• Windows 10
  • i3-8100
  • EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC
  • 2x 8GB 2400 TeamGroup DDR4
  • Asus B360M-A
  • Cougar VTX 450W 80+ Bronze

I attach the graphs from afterburner.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom/help!

MSI.png

That's GPU power my duderino. It shouldn't do 107% though when it's in stock config as it should be properly throttling at 100%, but it's not that big of a worry. 

You can only really measure DC system wattage consumption with a kill-a-watt meter or something and converting for efficiency losses. So say you measure 350W from the wall, and you have an 80% efficiency power supply, that's 280W DC (350*0,8). That number shouldn't exceed 450W in your case. Which with a 8100 and 1060 it never, ever will.

Oooh. Thanks for the speedy help, clearly I just didn't understand the software! That makes a lot more sense!