100 Degree Temps

diabolusxx

Hi,

I have an i7-8700 (non-k) with a 1070 Ti on a 3XS ASUS H310M PLUS GAMING Motherboard. I've been trying to figure out why my FPS is lower than expected, loaded up Intel XTU to try and undervolt and found these temps..

https://imgur.com/a/yDg7MLO

I powered off and investigated. The CPU Cooler's Fan was still spinning but nothing was being cooled. Used compressed air to try and prevent any air flow issues but no success.

I then found that two of the pins on the CPU Cooler were not in properly and assumed this was the issue.

Do you think the 100 degree temps are due to the themal paste needing to be reapplied or is my fan also wrong (would not reapplying thermal paste after a pin seal was released cause 100 degree temps)

Stock cooler by the way. 

The pins may be the issue and the thermal paste should be fine if applied properly. I don't see why you would need to anything else but reattach the fan and try again. Also have you checked task manager to see if you don't have a lot going on in the background?

1 minute ago, Feanturi_IV said:

The pins may be the issue and the thermal paste should be fine if applied properly. I don't see why you would need to anything else but reattach the fan and try again. Also have you checked task manager to see if you don't have a lot going on in the background?

I'm unwilling to reattach the fan without replacement thermal paste. I have some on the way. There is no applications in the background affecting performance in any way shape or form. Fans are definitely speeding, CPU is approx 3000 RPM according to BIOS. Can feel a very small breeze coming from fan if case open.

Intel 8th gen is known to have a tad bad thermals, but 100°C on non K version? It seems like something is really wrong here since I have my 8600k at 5,1GHz and max temp is 95°C after stress testing.

I would double check if that CPU cooler is set on as it should be and try to reapply thermal paste. 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 minutes ago, diabolusxx said:

I'm unwilling to reattach the fan without replacement thermal paste. I have some on the way. There is no applications in the background affecting performance in any way shape or form. Fans are definitely speeding, CPU is approx 3000 RPM according to BIOS. Can feel a very small breeze coming from fan if case open.

That's fair with the thermal paste just trying to give ya a quick fix

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Intel 8th gen is known to have a tad bad thermals, but 100°C on non K version? It seems like something is really wrong here since I have my 8600k at 5,1GHz and max temp is 95°C after stress testing.

I would double check if that CPU cooler is set on as it should be and try to reapply thermal paste. 

The plan currently is to actually purchase an aftermarket cooler, reapply the thermal paste and reseat the new fan. Hopefully this solves the issue. I'm currently using my machine without turbo boost @ 3 GHz to run at temps of 60-70 whilst gaming until the new fan and thermal paste arrives.

That's fair with the thermal paste just trying to give ya a quick fix

What's the likelihood of this issue being caused by something that would not be fixed by replacement of thermal paste & a new fan?

2 minutes ago, diabolusxx said:

What's the likelihood of this issue being caused by something that would not be fixed by replacement of thermal paste & a new fan?

Pretty low from what you told me so far. It isn't a K series so it shouldn't have the normal thermal issues it has 

Pretty low from what you told me so far. It isn't a K series so it shouldn't have the normal thermal issues it has 

Awesome! I'll update the success once I get the items :D