Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Program files (x86) wont move?

SmilesRising
 Share

I tried organizing all the files on my hdd and putting all files in folders so for example my origin games is in (downloads > game services > Origin) but everytime i start origin the Program files (x86) folder appears outside of the folders and not where i want it to be. why? how do i fix this?

Watches and computers                    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

I tried organizing all the files on my hdd and putting all files in folders so for example my origin games is in (downloads > game services > Origin) but everytime i start origin the Program files (x86) folder appears outside of the folders and not where i want it to be. why? how do i fix this?

You can't move it because it's a system folder and Windows relys on it being where it should be.

 

Ftr moving folder locations after installing is a sure fire way to break things, either adjust installation location while installing or leave things alone.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try install fresh to the desired location instead

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You can't move it because it's a system folder and Windows relys on it being where it should be.

 

Ftr moving folder locations after installing is a sure fire way to break things, either adjust installation location while installing or leave things alone.

the file only contains origin so i highly doubt that windows is dependent on that. i have the folder on both my ssd and the hdd...

Watches and computers                    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Try install fresh to the desired location instead

i did that but the folder still ends upp outside of the folder its supposed to be in

 

Watches and computers                    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, smiles rising said:

i did that but the folder still ends upp outside of the folder its supposed to be in

 

Check settings on whether you can change locations of more files (some apps let you choose where to dump extra stuff), otherwise the app is just programmed to do that and you can do nothing.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Check settings on whether you can change locations of more files (some apps let you choose where to dump extra stuff), otherwise the app is just programmed to do that and you can do nothing.

in origin everything is changed to the correct folder but it still apperas when i try to move/delete it. the folder is empty so i see no reason why its there...

Watches and computers                    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

in origin everything is changed to the correct folder but it still apperas when i try to move/delete it. the folder is empty so i see no reason why its there...

Could be hidden files that only exist in certain times

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Could be hidden files that only exist in certain times

yeah that could be true.. what a bummer ?

Watches and computers                    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can change the Origin game download location in Origin settings. You need to change that rather than moving Program Files (x86), because that directory location is hard coded by Windows, and needs to be at C:\Program Files (x86) for the programs in it to work properly. If you move the directory, programs will still use the hard coded path, and either put files in C:\Program Files (x86) anyway, or try to read files from there and break.

HTTP/2 203

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

You can change the Origin game download location in Origin settings. You need to change that rather than moving Program Files (x86), because that directory location is hard coded by Windows, and needs to be at C:\Program Files (x86) for the programs in it to work properly. If you move the directory, programs will still use the hard coded path, and either put files in C:\Program Files (x86) anyway, or try to read files from there and break.

You're wasting your time Mortis, I already explained this and he argued I was wrong so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

You can change the Origin game download location in Origin settings. You need to change that rather than moving Program Files (x86), because that directory location is hard coded by Windows, and needs to be at C:\Program Files (x86) for the programs in it to work properly. If you move the directory, programs will still use the hard coded path, and either put files in C:\Program Files (x86) anyway, or try to read files from there and break.

i got it working now, thanks! i thought i changed the download location but apparently not.. thanks ?

Watches and computers                    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Master Disaster said:

You're wasting your time Mortis, I already explained this and he argued I was wrong so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i didn't argue.. i said that i dont think that windows is depending on the file. but my mistake

 

Watches and computers                    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×