Can I upgrade my notebook?

Rovillalob

So I want to upgrade my notebook by adding a m.2 NVMe ssd drive, the notebook is a Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx (no idea the last two digits, but I belive thats irrelevant).

The thing is that there is a list of 3 "trusted" drives (256 GB PCIe - 847109-020; 128 GB PCIe - 912322-007 and 128 GB M.2 2280 SATA-3 - 827560-052) in the notebooks manual. I want to buy the Western Digital Black 250 GB (WDS250G2X0C) NVMe SSD and move OS and files to this drive (this is my secondary machine, so there is not a lot on it). My questions are: Is that WD SSD compatible with my notebook? Will I be able to boot from it? I asked in the HP forum but they wont tell me given that the drive is not in their trusted list.

It seems unlikely that it would whitelist the nvme drives, Ive never seen that before on any device.

Why not just buy the ssd from a place that allows easy returns and give it a try?

Id get a 500gb ssd if you can though, and probably go sata here, or a lower end nvme drive.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Though I'd recommend a fresh install of Windows rather than a migration.

5 minutes ago, Mattster503 said:

Obama?

He's not here right now. Please leave a message after tone. *beep*

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It seems unlikely that it would whitelist the nvme drives, Ive never seen that before on any device.

Why not just buy the ssd from a place that allows easy returns and give it a try?

Id get a 500gb ssd if you can though, and probably go sata here, or a lower end nvme drive.

These are the dual configurations according to the manual:

• 256 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 SSD + 1 TB (7200 rpm) 9.5 mm
  • 128 GB SATA Value SSD + 1 TB (7200 rpm) 9.5 mm
  • 128 GB SATA Value SSD + 2 TB (5400 rpm) 9.5 mm/7.2 mm
  • 128 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 SSD + 1 TB (7200 rpm) 9.5 mm
  • 128 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 SSD + 2 TB (5400 rpm) 9.5 mm/7.2 mm

As you can see, the highest SATA drive I should use is 128 gb. And 128 is not near the minimum I need (that would be 256, and that is still a small drive)

The supported models are not even available in my country so I need to import them and that is expensive.

6 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Though I'd recommend a fresh install of Windows rather than a migration.

I might not work because HP decided that there is a list of drives that are compatible. I don't know if a fresh install is possible with an OEM OS given that it will be in another drive.

Just now, Rovillalob said:

As you can see, the highest SATA drive I should use is 128 gb. And 128 is not near the minimum I need (that would be 256, and that is still a small drive)

Those are just the preconfigured configurations, A 2tb m.2 ssd should work fine. Id ignore that list.

Any m.2 drive should work, id personally just get a 660p or sx8200 or mx500 here.

1 minute ago, Rovillalob said:

I might not work because HP decided that there is a list of drives that are compatible. I don't know if a fresh install is possible with an OEM OS given that it will be in another drive.

You can easily do a reinstall. should also auto activate with the key built into the bios

Have they pulled an Apple and do some tricky with hardware ID's or whatever they do these days? I really can't understand why they would limit a device like this.

I'm looking at the list and thought the same thing Electronics Wizardy just said. The list is just the preconfigs HP offers. Same thing with the Windows Key thing (man he types faster than I do lol)

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Any m.2 drive should work, id personally just get a 660p or sx8200 or mx500 here.

The 256 gb NVMe WD SSD costs the same as the SATA mx500 500 gb SSD. The intel 660p 512 gb is 30% more expensive and kinda over my budget. So I will go for the mx500 as the extra storage will eventually be usefull and the speed difference isn't that big for my use.

14 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can easily do a reinstall. should also auto activate with the key built into the bios

I will look into this, thanks.