This is what you should do...  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What I think you should do

• Get the laptop fan repaired for $200
    • Wait it out until the new AMD Navi GPU comes out and build your new PC
    • Fix the laptop yourself
    • Others (Please explain)

Hello Everyone.

I wanted to build a new PC now but hearing that in 2019 the new AMD Navi GPUs are releasing. Heard how it will be close to or better in performance wise vs. Nvidia RTX 2070. Also the price would be much cheaper which is nice.

Probably might not need such a beefy GPU but I think extra FPS would be great. I do like to play most games in Ultra settings. I also like to work on Photoshop and video editing.

And so for now I have the Asus G750J laptop which I bought back in 2015 I believe. It is having a fan problem which I could probably fix on my own or get it fixed for about $100-$200 at a PC repair shop since I think the problem can be fixed with a new laptop fan replacement. 

I am posting this because I want to save money but not sure which to do... 

What do you think I should do?

Others.

Fix the laptop yourself (A fan should be like what, $10? Do it.) then sell it and get a desktop PC

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

7 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Others.

Fix the laptop yourself (A fan should be like what, $10? Do it.) then sell it and get a desktop PC

Hi aezakmi 

Thanks for the reply. 

I mentioned about getting somebody to fix the laptop fan problem because I am not very experienced with laptops. Probably is very similar to a desktop but I am a bit scared I might break the laptop. 

I would like for it to last for as long as it could.

I do not plan on selling it since who will want to buy this old laptop? 

4 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

Hi aezakmi 

Thanks for the reply. 

I mentioned about getting somebody to fix the laptop fan problem because I am not very experienced with laptops. Probably is very similar to a desktop but I am a bit scared I might break the laptop. 

I would like for it to last for as long as it could.

I do not plan on selling it since who will want to buy this old laptop? 

2015 old? my daily use laptop is from 2011...

if you really don't want to do it yourself, you could get it repaired, but it will be MUCH cheaper to do it yourself

Biggest problem with repairing Laptops is usually the poor quality in the plastics used so it gets brittle with time. Easy to break. On the other hand if your Asus G750J is anything like my older G55VW it will be high quality plastics and actually meant to be doing repairs on so you should be fine.

I missed one thing...

I want to save money for the Desktop PC I plan to build.

Does anyone know where I can buy the replacement laptop fan? 

Thank you

Just now, EchoBlue said:

I missed one thing...

I want to save money for the Desktop PC I plan to build.

Does anyone know where I can buy the replacement laptop fan? 

Thank you

I know Ifixit has a lot of parts, but I haven't looked if they have any for this one. 

just save it up and get it when you're ready for it. btw, I wouldn't believe the rumors I have seen. they seem too good to be true, so they probebly are. CES is in like 2-3 weeks, so then we might be able to see...

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

I know Ifixit has a lot of parts, but I haven't looked if they have any for this one. 

just save it up and get it when you're ready for it. btw, I wouldn't believe the rumors I have seen. they seem too good to be true, so they probebly are. CES is in like 2-3 weeks, so then we might be able to see...

Either way, the rumors are true or not I do plan to build a new PC.

I should have gone with it back in 2015 but something or someone got me to buy a laptop instead. 

But lessons learned to never go with a laptop for gaming. 

Honestly, it is not worth it.

2 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

Either way, the rumors are true or not I do plan to build a new PC.

I should have gone with it back in 2015 but something or someone got me to buy a laptop instead. 

But lessons learned to never go with a laptop for gaming. 

Honestly, it is not worth it.

we all make mistakes... I bought a laptop with a a8-6410 at that time, so yeah...

I would just wait, save up the money, and then look what you want it to have. do some research, look around on the forum, play around in pcpp, and you are fine to do so

I tried to open up my laptop and my God it is very difficult... 

How much would you pay someone to get the laptop cooling fan replaced with a new one and dust cleaned?

Thanks