Mouse acceleration

Equaus

Ok so I do know what mouse acc does and what it is used for, but when I enable it there seems to be no change in speed on the desktop at all. Also if I'm wrong does mouse acc have an effect on games that have been full screened like fortnite or other games. Because I have enabled it and tested it in Fortnite and there is no difference?

The acceleration is bit odd wording with Win10. In past it meant that pointer would increase speed the longer movement lasted. Currently, in Win10, its called Enchanted accuracy. This slows mouse movement down. So effect is opposite of what it used to be.

Now I can think few reasons. In past mouse dpi was much lower (if you didn't have gaming-grade mouse) and you needed to swing like maniac to get to other end of 1280x1024 screen. So acceleration was trick to make things easier. This ofc would be issue in anything requiring high precision. Like gaming and graphical design. Currently even normal office mice come with decent dpi, not to mention trackpads. So current setting is to lower speed and give more accuracy if/when needed. If you have good gaming-grade mouse, you don't need that as you would do it from mouse's settings and possibly have toggle for changing dpi.

Ofc it still depends on how high your mouse dpi and sensitivity is set to. But I already noted what the difference was on desktop. It dropped distance of my test swing to under half.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok I see what you mean, but I just tested on my desktop and having enhance for pointer precision enabled makes it more sensitive not less sensitive as you said. And so does it have an effect on full screen games?

The variable nature of acceleration should be quite obvious if enabled. I can't stand it myself, preferring it off so that a fixed movement distance of the mouse always results in a fixed movement distance of the cursor. When on, a slow movement of a given distance moves the pointer a little, and a fast movement of the same distance moves the pointer a lot.

Most games should honour the Windows settings so what you experience on desktop is what you experience in game too. Occasionally you might find one that uses the raw mouse data and does its own thing, although I can't think of an example at the moment.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

27 minutes ago, porina said:

The variable nature of acceleration should be quite obvious if enabled. I can't stand it myself, preferring it off so that a fixed movement distance of the mouse always results in a fixed movement distance of the cursor. When on, a slow movement of a given distance moves the pointer a little, and a fast movement of the same distance moves the pointer a lot.

Most games should honour the Windows settings so what you experience on desktop is what you experience in game too. Occasionally you might find one that uses the raw mouse data and does its own thing, although I can't think of an example at the moment.

I tested in fortnite, I marked two points in game and on my mousepad then turned mouse acc both on and off and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, my theory or at least what I thought was that if in windowed mode in game that is the only time mouse acc will occur unless changed in the game files

20 hours ago, Equaus said:

I tested in fortnite, I marked two points in game and on my mousepad then turned mouse acc both on and off and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, my theory or at least what I thought was that if in windowed mode in game that is the only time mouse acc will occur unless changed in the game files

Its not about distance really, its about how fast the movement is.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

21 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Its not about distance really, its about how fast the movement is.

Did you test it in fortnite, because I'm wondering if full screen counters mouse acc?

Just now, Equaus said:

Did you test it in fortnite, because I'm wondering if full screen counters mouse acc?

I don't play those games. But it doesn't matter for Windows settings, or settings you apply via mouse drivers. Those are applied regardless. However, if you have tweaked sensitivity in-game, that will effect on how mouse is moving in-game vs desktop.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv