First Build In a While

Hypa

Budget and location:

Budget is aprox 1500-2000 gbp Im In Northern Ireland(shipping can be painful even from mainland UK) initial 1500 for the tower and another 500 for peripherals although im pretty flexible on pricing splits if it aids preformance.

Aims:

My main aim is to start a semi decent gaming rig as currently a laptop just isn't cutting it. I have no usable components as my last desktop is aproximately 10 years old and hasnt been in use for the last 8 of those years so please assume im starting from bare bones in terms of components.

Monitors:

Initially i plan to run 1 monitor with a possible upgrade to 2 further down the line.

Peripherals :

No Peripherals have been purchased open to recomendations.

Main reason for asking here is that i have no idea what options would be best for the motherboard and due to the GPU price fluctuation i have no idea if it would be a good idea to wait till 2019 to see what new hardware comes out or if some of the nicer GPU's will be restocked.

I have a preference to intel CPU's but I'm not unwilling to be persuaded otherwise if the price to preformance ratio works out.

Any help on getting somesort of viable system working would be much appreciated!

here's a build i made for you 

white theme

ryzen 7 

rtx 2080

144hz 1440p monitor

1.5 tb of storage

good cooler for ocing

never thought a 2080 would be viable on this kind of budget

having never worked with ryzen im not sure if this is a 2nd gen chipset and if it will be okay with just aircooling or further down the line would you recommend moving to a watercooler

3 hours ago, Hypa said:

having never worked with ryzen im not sure if this is a 2nd gen chipset and if it will be okay with just aircooling or further down the line would you recommend moving to a watercooler

So get 2600 and an AIO, then upgrade to gen 3 sometime in 2019, or later. 2600 is actually really good when paired with fast RAM.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

3 minutes ago, Hypa said:

quote me next time :D or see I wont see that you responded

as for air-cooling it should be fine as the dark-rock is better than amds stock cooler and you can already hit decent oc's on that one 

If you want you could always add another fan to it for like $15 if you arent satisfied with the performance 

Just having a look over benchmarks it seems the 2080 marginally better than the 1080ti and is it worth it for the real time ray tracing n'vidia has been promoting? it looks to future proof the build I'm aware and the 1080ti is as good as extinct to buy new but i cant help but make the comparison with what i've done a little research on.

Sorry for the mindless questions.

5 minutes ago, Hypa said:

Just having a look over benchmarks it seems the 2080 marginally better than the 1080ti and is it worth it for the real time ray tracing n'vidia has been promoting? it looks to future proof the build I'm aware and the 1080ti is as good as extinct to buy new but i cant help but make the comparison with what i've done a little research on.

Sorry for the mindless questions.

rtx is still kinda meh due to the low performance but it looks like it will become more and more utilized in the future

as for performance they are basically equal(think 1080ti is like 2% faster) and the only cards that will beat them are a 2080ti and the titan cards so it is very future proof

If you want you could also buy a used 1080ti if you can find one for a good price

2 minutes ago, Happycowdance said:

If you want you could also buy a used 1080ti if you can find one for a good price

Yeah i have seen a few hens teeth and found a few needles in haystacks recently so im sure finding a decently priced 1080 ti will be within my luck.

In all seriousness tho i'll do some digging into what the 2080 is capable of before making a final decision but thats a great build i really do appreciate the effort you put into the responce.

2 hours ago, Happycowdance said:

it is very future proof

... wait for it...

59 minutes ago, fargonaz said:

... wait for it...

yeah take that with a grain of salt future proof as in the next 3-5 years assuming nothing groundbreaking happens

1 hour ago, fargonaz said:

... wait for it...

worst case scenario new mining rig lol i really hope the ass falls outta that craze because gpu's shouldnt be retailing for 150% of their msrp 2 years after they launched