ITX Ryzen Workstation

Tmt97

So after my last workstation rig was destroyed in a move recently, I've started preparations to build something new. I needed something powerful for my work involving 3D modelling, rendering, ect... And also something that's small enough that I can reasonably fit it in a suitcase given my somewhat nomadic lifestyle. Here's what I'm throwing together:

CPU: 2700x

Ram: Patriot Memory Viper Elite Series DDR4 16GB 2400MHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-i Gaming Motherboard

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4

Power Supply: FSP Dagger 600W

Case: Silverstone FTZ01

Video Card:EVGA Geforce GTX 1050ti

I will be assembling and posting pictures on the 21st.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Do you have a GPU? Sounds cool though. What is the deal on cable manigment?

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

8 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

Do you have a GPU? Sounds cool though. What is the deal on cable manigment?

Yea, forgot to put that in. I already have a EVGA Geforce GTX 1050ti. It's the only thing that survived from my last rig. Using it for now till I have the money to upgrade it. We will see about the cable management once I get the case and all the other hardware on the 2st. With the modular PSU I'm fairly confident I can handle it.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

• 3 weeks later...

Do to some unexpected delays I just got most of the parts today. This project has not been abandoned as you can see. The case and power supply will be arriving in the coming days.

comp1.jpg.82d0d62176a4252e412553052f5f6e4f.jpgcomp2.jpg.6159c8231482435d4ecb6f776762dff1.jpg

parts.jpg

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Got the sfx PSU in today and put everything together to test. All working properly, ran cinebench and got 1670 for the cpu and 116.42 for the gpu. Update coming soon when its all in the case.

comp3.jpg

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

On 12/18/2018 at 4:36 AM, Tmt97 said:

So after my last workstation rig was destroyed in a move recently, I've started preparations to build something new. I needed something powerful for my work involving 3D modelling, rendering, ect... And also something that's small enough that I can reasonably fit it in a suitcase given my somewhat nomadic lifestyle. Here's what I'm throwing together:

CPU: 2700x

Ram: Patriot Memory Viper Elite Series DDR4 16GB 2400MHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-i Gaming Motherboard

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4

Power Supply: FSP Dagger 600W

Case: Silverstone FTZ01

Video Card:EVGA Geforce GTX 1050ti

I will be assembling and posting pictures on the 21st.

Do you plan on overclocking the RAM? You could increase CPU performance a lot with faster RAM on Ryzen

19 hours ago, _d0nut said:

Do you plan on overclocking the RAM? You could increase CPU performance a lot with faster RAM on Ryzen

Never overclocked ram before, and know very little about it. Is it likely to damage my ram? given current prices I really can't afford to just order more if I break it from overheating.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

42 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Never overclocked ram before, and know very little about it. Is it likely to damage my ram? given current prices I really can't afford to just order more if I break it from overheating.

You won’t damage it if you go bit by bit. Ryzen loves fast RAM, it will be bottlenecked by 2400MHz. Note that if you have an unstable OC on the RAM the system may not post, and you need to reset the CMOS. If you’re unsure you could always google for a RAM overclocking guide. It’s quite tedious though(having to reset cmos everytime it doesnt post, then having to stress test each oc until it’s stable etc) 

On 1/6/2019 at 10:07 PM, _d0nut said:

You won’t damage it if you go bit by bit. Ryzen loves fast RAM, it will be bottlenecked by 2400MHz. Note that if you have an unstable OC on the RAM the system may not post, and you need to reset the CMOS. If you’re unsure you could always google for a RAM overclocking guide. It’s quite tedious though(having to reset cmos everytime it doesnt post, then having to stress test each oc until it’s stable etc) 

My main concern is overclocking the ram would make it heat up more correct? I don't have a way (or know of a way short of watercooling) to dissipate that extra heat. My concern is overheating the ram.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

6 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

My main concern is overclocking the ram would make it heat up more correct? I don't have a way (or know of a way short of watercooling) to dissipate that extra heat. My concern is overheating the ram.

You shouldn't need any active cooling solution for RAM, but if you increase the voltage too much you might. I have a kit of 3200MHz DDR4 at 1.35v, doesn't need any active cooling since airflow from case fans and cpu coolers should suffice. You probably need to overclock slightly, boot to test if it's stable then run memtest or something to check if the ram is not overheating and is at a stable overclock

So I have another sort of weird plan for this build. I recently saw one of these and decided to buy it: image.png.48ef1dd27a4b075c91f671000b1771f7.png

It's a TV tuner card that you plug into a usb port. It will play local channels broadcasting live and also record shows and save them to a folder. I live in a city with a decent amount of channels being broadcast locally, so it's a good alternative for paying for a cable subscription(for me at least). I don't like having to take up a USB port with an extra thing like that sticking out all the time so I came up with an over-engineered plan to make it internal.

I bought one of these internal usb hubs:

image.png.8ce26eeb525bcce03c5ce02b2b1db8e3.png

Notice it would allow me to have 2 normal usb ports inside the case. I can plug the TV Tuner card in internally. Then I can screw in a coax cable which I will run inside the computer case to the IO shield, where I will drill out a hole and mount it as an additional connector. I can then screw in a small indoor TV antenna to the new coax port on the outside of IO shield. I think this will be a fun lil mod.

image.png

I can have the TV tuner card set to save all the recorded tv shows to a Plex server automatically as well.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

6 hours ago, Tmt97 said:

image.png

I can have the TV tuner card set to save all the recorded tv shows to a Plex server automatically as well.

Where did you get this? I want one now that you've mentioned it.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

5 hours ago, mxk. said:

Where did you get this? I want one now that you've mentioned it.

Amazon

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

So the case arrived today and I have finished the build for now. Here's some pics of final assembly. Very happy with the RVZ01 case. Getting temps of 35c with the 2700x in there.

comp9.jpg.c441406be1cc21684f0ff83610113137.jpgcomp8.jpg.de17bcec6ed24da32539b3664fbad036.jpgcomp7.jpg.e88acd9442c14340cce70705339e2428.jpgcomp6.jpg.273f6d42f5110f86b55b908ff4008a30.jpgcomp5.jpg.e9b576382ab87a472cfdb3b64e897579.jpgcomp3.jpg.bb56d22ac313a7d8f8a2e3919ff9b126.jpgcomp2.jpg.347cd7f9c5026ebb2f9da54c5dfbb6d4.jpgcomp1.jpg.0c8f950052d6e31bfd74d938c31a88a7.jpg

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!