Low PSU Wattage

Fajri Rachman

i have R3 1300x and rx580 4gb, and i'm using seasonic 430w PSU.

my gpu usage max is ~65%, is this because of mu insufficient PSU wattage?

sorry for my bad english..

more likely your cpu is bottlenecking, I would try ocing it and see how the performance is then

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Do you have V-Sync enabled?  What games are you playing?  What's your average framerate?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Is it a dual PCIe power connector or a single on the graphics card? 6 pin or 8 pin? If it's not either dual plug or 8 pin, you aren't pulling enough juice to cause an underpower condition. Not on a 65W TDP processor and 150W of wiring/bus power to the GPU.

Also, you normally hit system instability if you overdraw a PSU, not lower utilization. This is due to the internal impedance in the power supply causing voltage to droop as current output goes up, resulting in erratic VRM performance, combined with overheating the transformer/rectifier and filtering circuit of the 12V rail which also results in erratic voltages as resistances change due to temperature and/or capacitors go into thermal breakdown. I guess saturating chokes could also be a problem. Utilization is just a measurement of how many clock cycles are being used, so if the card was declocking due to low voltage being applied to the card (which I don't think is a thing, but it might be) it would show up as 100% utilization and a lower clock rate with an associated lower frame rate, similar to thermal or power throttling.

Look at V-Sync, or Free-Sync if your monitor supports it, and see if that's on. Either of those will force the GPU to only output at the rate the monitor refreshes at, which will result in lower utilization while it waits for the monitor to redraw. Some games and GPU software (EVGA Precision OCX, MSI Afterburner, ect.) have framerate caps or targets that the computer won't draw past. 60 or 120 are pretty common numbers for these to be set at, and they result in similar indications to V-Sync.