FFMpeg Problem Need Help

Hello,

After installing FFMpeg and creating the right path I can't seem to get it to work. As it stands now any FFMpeg command I enter in cmd gives back the message "'ffmpeg' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". Before this I had gotten it to recognize FFMpeg commands but any video I tried to work with wouldn't be recognized even though they were in the bin folder. In an attempt to fix this I reinstalled FFMpeg and now as you can see above I'm even further back. I know I have a video converting software that uses FFMpeg but that shouldn't be a problem I think. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm using windows 10 and FFMpeg 4.1.

Thanks,

Zach

By 'creating the right path' do you mean, you changed the system variable to include the folder that contains your ffmpeg.exe?

15 hours ago, mikat said:

if you want to run ffmpeg, you should copy the entire path of the executable, or place the ffmpeg folder in your path variable :) 

https://video.stackexchange.com/questions/20495/how-do-i-set-up-and-use-ffmpeg-in-windows

Thanks for the response, that seemed to get ffmpeg and its related executables to work. However the program doesn't recognize any of the videos I try to run. I have the videos in the same folder as FFMpeg but it won't work.

This is what it gives me

C:\Users\My Name>ffplay -i day.mp4
ffplay version 4.1 Copyright (c) 2003-2018 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 8.2.1 (GCC) 20181017
  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-sdl2 --enable-fontconfig --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-lzma --enable-zlib --enable-gmp --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libmysofa --enable-libspeex --enable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-libmfx --enable-amf --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-nvenc --enable-nvdec --enable-dxva2 --enable-avisynth
  libavutil      56. 22.100 / 56. 22.100
  libavcodec     58. 35.100 / 58. 35.100
  libavformat    58. 20.100 / 58. 20.100
  libavdevice    58.  5.100 / 58.  5.100
  libavfilter     7. 40.101 /  7. 40.101
  libswscale      5.  3.100 /  5.  3.100
  libswresample   3.  3.100 /  3.  3.100
  libpostproc    55.  3.100 / 55.  3.100
day.mp4: No such file or directory 0KB vq=    0KB sq=    0B f=0/0

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks again,

Zach

15 hours ago, Granular said:

By 'creating the right path' do you mean, you changed the system variable to include the folder that contains your ffmpeg.exe?

Thanks for the response, that seemed to get FFMpeg and its related executables to work. However the program doesn't recognize any of the videos I try to run. I have the videos in the same folder as FFMpeg but it won't work.

This is what it gives me

ffplay version 4.1 Copyright (c) 2003-2018 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 8.2.1 (GCC) 20181017
  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-sdl2 --enable-fontconfig --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-lzma --enable-zlib --enable-gmp --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libmysofa --enable-libspeex --enable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-libmfx --enable-amf --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-nvenc --enable-nvdec --enable-dxva2 --enable-avisynth
  libavutil      56. 22.100 / 56. 22.100
  libavcodec     58. 35.100 / 58. 35.100
  libavformat    58. 20.100 / 58. 20.100
  libavdevice    58.  5.100 / 58.  5.100
  libavfilter     7. 40.101 /  7. 40.101
  libswscale      5.  3.100 /  5.  3.100
  libswresample   3.  3.100 /  3.  3.100
  libpostproc    55.  3.100 / 55.  3.100
day.mp4: No such file or directory 0KB vq=    0KB sq=    0B f=0/0

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks again,

Zach

4 hours ago, Zach Phillamps said:

I have the videos in the same folder as FFMpeg but it won't work.

This is what it gives me

When you call a command, you are supposed to specify file location relative to the directory you're in, not relative to where the program is. The prompt shows you are in C:\Users\Your Name.

C:\Users\Your Name>ffplay -i day.mp4 is instructing ffplay to open C:\Users\Your Name\day.mp4, which I'm guessing is not where you keep the file.

You need to either use the 'cd' command to change your working directory to the directory containing the video file ( like C:\Users\Your Name\Videos or wherever it is you keep it) and then run ffplay -i day.mp4

Or stay where you are and specify a full (not relative) path for the input file with ffplay -i C:\Users\Your Name\Videos\day.mp4

21 hours ago, Granular said:

When you call a command, you are supposed to specify file location relative to the directory you're in, not relative to where the program is. The prompt shows you are in C:\Users\Your Name.

C:\Users\Your Name>ffplay -i day.mp4 is instructing ffplay to open C:\Users\Your Name\day.mp4, which I'm guessing is not where you keep the file.

You need to either use the 'cd' command to change your working directory to the directory containing the video file ( like C:\Users\Your Name\Videos or wherever it is you keep it) and then run ffplay -i day.mp4

Or stay where you are and specify a full (not relative) path for the input file with ffplay -i C:\Users\Your Name\Videos\day.mp4

That got it working, thank you for the help