Post Issues?

mbryant
Go to solution Solved by mbryant,
On 12/19/2018 at 5:31 AM, 0x1e said:

You should try just turning off the PSU without touching anything else.

I should have closed this post. I got a new CMOS battery for my board the other day and haven't had any issues as of yet.

Hey so on Sunday my PC updated before shutting down, I clicked "Update and shut down" then went to bed. When I came home the next day and turned it on all of my fans powered on but my GPU didn't light up and nothing came on screen. I had the same issue last night except I never turned it off. When I woke up and tried to wake it from sleep the fans spun up but no lights on my GPU and nothing on my display. Weirdly my mouse was still lit up, I don't recall if my keyboard was too but I think it was. In both cases unplugging my GPU and plugging it back in again resolved the issue. So I'm thinking this could either be a PSU issue or GPU and I really hope it's not an issue with my GPU. 

Also after I fixed it this morning I had a boot message that said something like "All settings have been reset, press F1 to run setup or F2 to continue"

I hit F2 and everything seems fine.

EDIT: I just ran valley benchmark at 4K to see if maybe it was a power delivery issue but it didn't crash.

Any thoughts?

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

20 minutes ago, mbryant said:

Hey so on Sunday my PC updated before shutting down, I clicked "Update and shut down" then went to bed. When I came home the next day and turned it on all of my fans powered on but my GPU didn't light up and nothing came on screen. I had the same issue last night except I never turned it off. When I woke up and tried to wake it from sleep the fans spun up but no lights on my GPU and nothing on my display. Weirdly my mouse was still lit up, I don't recall if my keyboard was too but I think it was. In both cases unplugging my GPU and plugging it back in again resolved the issue. So I'm thinking this could either be a PSU issue or GPU and I really hope it's not an issue with my GPU. 

Also after I fixed it this morning I had a boot message that said something like "All settings have been reset, press F1 to run setup or F2 to continue"

I hit F2 and everything seems fine.

EDIT: I just ran valley benchmark at 4K to see if maybe it was a power delivery issue but it didn't crash.

Any thoughts?

Seems like it brought you to the bios. Maybe your gpu has some driver incompatibility with the new update? 

12 minutes ago, Tommybobberson said:

Seems like it brought you to the bios. Maybe your gpu has some driver incompatibility with the new update? 

HOPEFULLY. Thanks for the advice. I'm great at troubleshooting for other people but when it's my own system I freak out lol 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

6 minutes ago, mbryant said:

HOPEFULLY. Thanks for the advice. I'm great at troubleshooting for other people but when it's my own system I freak out lol 

No problem. Let me know if you need more help 

11 hours ago, Tommybobberson said:

No problem. Let me know if you need more help 

So update, it happened again. This time while just watching Nextflix. My fans were still spinning, USB still had power  even after I turned the system "off". I had to switch the PSU off to kill all power. This time instead of unpluging my GPU I re seated the RAM and the system powered back on so I'm starting to suspect the motherboard. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14xZIMkQbVDq_-W2RV9uhQsBUZshaBrhM

The image posted shows the message I get after booting up from power loss. 

11 minutes ago, mbryant said:

So update, it happened again. This time while just watching Nextflix. My fans were still spinning, USB still had power  even after I turned the system "off". I had to switch the PSU off to kill all power. This time instead of unpluging my GPU I re seated the RAM and the system powered back on so I'm starting to suspect the motherboard. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14xZIMkQbVDq_-W2RV9uhQsBUZshaBrhM

The image posted shows the message I get after booting up from power loss. 

Are you turning off the system from the PSU while you're pulling out the RAM and GPU?

It's not a race to the bottom.

Just now, 0x1e said:

Are you turning off the system from the PSU while you're pulling out the RAM and GPU?

Yeah I make sure all peripherals are off and then turn the PSU off before unplugging anything. I think once today I forgot to turn the PSU off but the system was off for sure and I've been having this problem since Monday (I think, if not then it was Wednesday). Before that the last time I'd opened up my system was to dust it and unplug an old hard drive I wasn't using any more and that was about 3 weeks ago. 

On 12/16/2018 at 5:34 AM, mbryant said:

Yeah I make sure all peripherals are off and then turn the PSU off before unplugging anything. I think once today I forgot to turn the PSU off but the system was off for sure and I've been having this problem since Monday (I think, if not then it was Wednesday). Before that the last time I'd opened up my system was to dust it and unplug an old hard drive I wasn't using any more and that was about 3 weeks ago. 

It's not a race to the bottom.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:31 AM, 0x1e said:

I should have closed this post. I got a new CMOS battery for my board the other day and haven't had any issues as of yet.