Using EaseUS Partition Manager to Clone OS Drive

Rekiam

Hi LTT community, I need your help with a task I was given at work.

I have to upgrade a laptop that has an M.2 128GB drive to one that has 1050GB. We ended up purchasing EaseUS Partition Manager to do the job. I've tried doing the Migrate OS option and the Clone Drive option but both don't work. Once the process is over and I install the new one, the system won't boot. I get a recovery option but it won't load. So far, with both options have been resizing the last partition so that it would take up the rest of the drive. Right now I'm testing the Clone option but without resizing to see if it would work.

If anyone has any experience using this software I would gladly appreciate the assistance.

Try Macrium Reflect free or Acronis True Image hd...comes free from crucial if you have their MX300...which I’m assuming is the upgrade SSD since you state 1050GB.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

1 minute ago, SSD Sean said:

Try Macrium Reflect free or Acronis True Image hd...comes free from crucial if you have their MX300...which I’m assuming is the upgrade SSD since you state 1050GB.

Yeah, it's a Crucial MX300. I'll give those a try and update the thread. Thanks.

Make sure the if the old drive was GPT, the new one is also. I've seen this happen if one drive was MBR and the other GPT.

7 minutes ago, King Poet said:

Make sure the if the old drive was GPT, the new one is also. I've seen this happen if one drive was MBR and the other GPT.

How would I go about and verifying this?

In disk management you right click the drive number in the panel and it will bring up a context menu that will show an option convert to MBR or GPT. Whichever it shows, it is the opposite format. 

That or use diskpart->lis dis -> and it will have a little astrik under GPT in the storage list

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

@King Poet@SSD Sean Both drives are GPT.

Cloning the drive exactly without resizing didn't work, still getting the Recovery screen with the new drive installed. Going to try Acronis True Image right now.

Used Acronis True Image and it worked, even resized the partition at the same time. Computer booted up just fine with the new drive. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

EaseUS has nice tools, but their backup and cloning tools have a really bizarre thing with shortening partitions on restoration. When you clone it, all looks fine, same when you're preparing for restoration, but when you actually restore the backup, partition will be shorter with some small unallocated amount of space. It has been doing this for years and I don't know why it's doing this and why they haven't addressed it. It's not a showstopping thing, but it bothered me.

3 hours ago, Rekiam said:

Used Acronis True Image and it worked, even resized the partition at the same time. Computer booted up just fine with the new drive. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

You are welcome! Those 2 options are the most reliable I've seen among the other options in the market for cloning discs.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

• 6 months later...

Thanks for sharing, this is 7 months old and probably the problem is already solved, but thanks for sharing! ✌️?

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming