Posible power problem??

Hans_Solo

Hi,

i have following problem, i do have an 800W Aero Cool Rave Power supply installed in my PC and i have an I5-4690k and MSI Radeon RX460 graphic card installed. So i would think i have enough power. Now what happens, i had a problem with my fan on the graphic card and replaced it with a fan i still had from a CPU cooler (which cools the card even better then the original) and i had more then one hard drive installed [(2) WD SATA 1tb and 500gb], now after and also before the installation of my fan on the card is my PC not able anymore to start up with 2 hard drives. I would assume that 800W would be sufficient to supply all components with power. This even happen before when i use usb3 ports with portable hard drives. Maybe someone would have an idea what this could be. Please keep in mind this even happen before i installed the CPU fan on my graphic card.

Wattage isn't everything. If the rest of the power supply is crap, even a high quality 450w PSU can end up being better. A system like yours won't even consume 200W, let alone close to 800. 

Try a higher quality PSU to confirm yours is or isn't the issue. That said, an 800W PSU with only a bronze rating is pretty abysmal.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, Hans_Solo said:

Hi,

i have following problem, i do have an 800W Aero Cool Rave Power supply installed in my PC and i have an I5-4690k and MSI Radeon RX460 graphic card installed. So i would think i have enough power. Now what happens, i had a problem with my fan on the graphic card and replaced it with a fan i still had from a CPU cooler (which cools the card even better then the original) and i had more then one hard drive installed [(2) WD SATA 1tb and 500gb], now after and also before the installation of my fan on the card is my PC not able anymore to start up with 2 hard drives. I would assume that 800W would be sufficient to supply all components with power. This even happen before when i use usb3 ports with portable hard drives. Maybe someone would have an idea what this could be. Please keep in mind this even happen before i installed the CPU fan on my graphic card.

Do the fans spin? LEDs come on, BIOS logo? If not then Are sure everything is plugged in correctly? Make sure the power button is plugged in too, they can be really Fidley and easy to put in the wrong pin. Agreed it's not the best PSU but it should work fine. If everything is plugged in properly it could be the board.

36 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

Do the fans spin? LEDs come on, BIOS logo? If not then Are sure everything is plugged in correctly? Make sure the power button is plugged in too, they can be really Fidley and easy to put in the wrong pin. Agreed it's not the best PSU but it should work fine. If everything is plugged in properly it could be the board.

All is plugged in correctly, when I run it with only one hard drive it's all fine, I did have before also an other PSU and similar happened, which was only a 700W, I was not aware that this PSU is not really the best (was a gift) I suspected already it might be something with the board, in the beginning I had a HDMI monitor and my system would not start at all only after several tries, changed the monitor and it starts up well. I am also aware that my system is not the best in any category, but hey i can play Arma3 on ultra settings and that's already something.

Oh I forgot to mention, maybe that is also an aspect, the HDD which is not running is my where my OS is on only the additional is running and the HDD with the OS makes a clicking sound.

Edited by Hans_Solo
addition to post

1 hour ago, Hans_Solo said:

Oh I forgot to mention, maybe that is also an aspect, the HDD which is not running is my where my OS is on only the additional is running and the HDD with the OS makes a clicking sound.

Well... that explains a lot. the HDD is probably Dead, clicking noises means the read head is most likely broken.

Try putting the OS on the other HDD, if it works all fine on the other HDD then it is most likely the broken HDD thats to blame.

I am also aware that my system is not the best in any category, but hey i can play Arma3 on ultra settings and that's already something.

Dont worry, my PC is a lot worse ;)

17 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

Well... that explains a lot. the HDD is probably Dead, clicking noises means the read head is most likely broken.

Try putting the OS on the other HDD, if it works all fine on the other HDD then it is most likely the broken HDD thats to blame.

Dont worry, my PC is a lot worse ;)

The funny thing is when the OS HDD is plugged in alone it works fine, no problems no blue screens not even crashes, I was thinking the same as you did. So I thought in the end I bring up the question is a forum maybe someone knows what it could be or maybe had a similar problem 

41 minutes ago, Hans_Solo said:

The funny thing is when the OS HDD is plugged in alone it works fine, no problems no blue screens not even crashes, I was thinking the same as you did. So I thought in the end I bring up the question is a forum maybe someone knows what it could be or maybe had a similar problem 

Huh thats really odd. so both HDD dont work together but one by itself does?? very strange! so when both HDD are plugged in does it display the bios screen or just compleatly blank? have you tried putting the HDDs sata cables in different sata ports on the board?

1 hour ago, Snifferdog3 said:

Huh thats really odd. so both HDD dont work together but one by itself does?? very strange! so when both HDD are plugged in does it display the bios screen or just compleatly blank? have you tried putting the HDDs sata cables in different sata ports on the board?

Yes correct together they don't work but by it self they do, OS HDD is booting and the other one I can see at the boot screen. I did replace the SATA cables and slots as well. I am as well at a total loss about it. I really appreciate you trying to help. 

6 minutes ago, Hans_Solo said:

Yes correct together they don't work but by it self they do, OS HDD is booting and the other one I can see at the boot screen. I did replace the SATA cables and slots as well. I am as well at a total loss about it. I really appreciate you trying to help. 

Just a little confused. what do you mean when both together it doesnt work, how exactly dont they work? does the pc stay on a blank screen? does it get to the bios screen? np happy to help :D have you tried Resetting the bios to default? i recommend you do that incase its just the setup. just enter the bios and find the reset to default button.

With not working I mean, I had before geh 2 drives one with OS and the other with steam and so. Now when I have the HDD with steam plugged in my OS drive does not work, only the peeping/clicking noise comes from it and it does not boot. When the OS HDD is only plugged all works fine boots windows runs stable. When both are plugged and I hit the power button the Asus screen come up and shows you hardware and so, only the steam drive and not the OS HDD. I have not tryed that yet resetting my bios, I also have never done any changes in my bios. Is there something like a live time for a motherboard? Maybe it's really it. 

2 hours ago, Snifferdog3 said:

Just a little confused. what do you mean when both together it doesnt work, how exactly dont they work? does the pc stay on a blank screen? does it get to the bios screen? np happy to help :D have you tried Resetting the bios to default? i recommend you do that incase its just the setup. just enter the bios and find the reset to default button.

With not working I mean, I had before geh 2 drives one with OS and the other with steam and so. Now when I have the HDD with steam plugged in my OS drive does not work, only the peeping/clicking noise comes from it and it does not boot. When the OS HDD is only plugged all works fine boots windows runs stable. When both are plugged and I hit the power button the Asus screen come up and shows you hardware and so, only the steam drive and not the OS HDD. I have not tryed that yet resetting my bios, I also have never done any changes in my bios. Is there something like a live time for a motherboard? Maybe it's really it. 

12 minutes ago, Hans_Solo said:

Ah that makes alot more sense now. ok so it looks like it could possibly be your boot order. it might be trying to boot from the steam HDD instead of the os HDD. when you boot up the pc (have both HDD plugged in) wait till the asus screen comes up then look for some text that should read something like "press DEL to run setup" something like that anyway, repetitively tap the key it stated (usually Del, esc, f2 etc..)  and you should be taken to the BIOS. now DONT touch anything your not sure about ok? look for a menu called something like BOOT, then in than menu look for a sub menu called BOOT ORDER (note: some bios dont have this sub menu instead the boot menu takes you straight to the boot order), then once in there it should show your 2 HDDs. using the keys it tells you to use, move the HDD that has the OS on to the very top of the list. then proceed to the exit and save menu, and save changes. some things might be different on your bios but just look for a boot order ok. if you are stuck just ask :) 

Sadly I was not able to fix it, so I got me a 10tb drive and made a server out of it and got me a new rig with some better specs, I'll guess it was just the time for it. But at lest I got a good Exile server out of it at least. I think that was the best option and a end of the headaches. Thanks for your help, really appreciated. Have a blessed Christmas.