What is the maximum supported memory for an AMD Athlon X2 240?

Ykcud

I got a free Thinkcentre a63 type 5043 without a drive but with dust in its place (seriously, there were several dust bunnies that were nearly as big a normal bunny at the bottom when I opened this thing up). The system works as I was able to boot into the BIOS to get some info. With it's current configuration it has a max of 4 GB of DDR3 memory and want to know if this is a limitation due to the processor or the motherboard. Most DDR3 generation motherboards I have come across can take more than 2 GB in each slot, but that is not to say it is impossible; I mean, the system was free after all and I wont complain if it is limited to 4 GB.

I have looked around using Google, but cannot seem to find the max memory for that processor but can seem to find just about every other specification. Would anyone happen to know?

I can't find it either, even in an archived page from the AMD support site, but there's information on the Lenovo that would imply that the maximum the motherboard can do is 4GB, with a 2x2GB configuration.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd001896

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

I got a free Thinkcentre a63 type 5043 without a drive but with dust in its place (seriously, there were several dust bunnies that were nearly as big a normal bunny at the bottom when I opened this thing up). The system works as I was able to boot into the BIOS to get some info. With it's current configuration it has a max of 4 GB of DDR3 memory and want to know if this is a limitation due to the processor or the motherboard. Most DDR3 generation motherboards I have come across can take more than 2 GB in each slot, but that is not to say it is impossible; I mean, the system was free after all and I wont complain if it is limited to 4 GB.

I have looked around using Google, but cannot seem to find the max memory for that processor but can seem to find just about every other specification. Would anyone happen to know?

The best thing that you could do would be to do a little digging to find the make and model of the motherboard and then check the makers website for any information you can find.  Everything is keyed off the motherboard so that is where you will have to look.  Just got to find the make and model of the mobo.

Thank you.

A moment ago I snooped around the motherboard in that computer and searched for all the numbers listed on it. None come up with anything except for "FRU89Y1256" which seems to reveal that it was only produced for the Lenovo A63 series and not much else.