What GPU should I buy?

ZolSnak3

Okay, so I was wonder what the highest graphics card I could get to maximize performance without a bottleneck. I have a z370 pro carbon motherboard, 32gb or RAM, 850watt PSU, AMD ryzen 2700x, 1tb m.2. 

what monitor do you have?  What games do you play?  What resolution/frame rate are you wanting to game at?

16 minutes ago, ZolSnak3 said:

I have a z370 pro carbon motherboard

I assume you meant X370 as Z370 is Intel only.

It really depends on the resolution.

With that CPU you could get a 2080 Ti for 4K/1440p gaming, but probably a 2080 for 1080p.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

I have a dell 1440 144hz, and a seperate samsung 4k 60hz. I play black ops, witcher, gta. i was looking for like 150-200 fps

As Nocte said,

the answer to your question depends on:

1. what resolution you want to run

2. what refresh rate you want to run

3. what graphical quality you're interested in

the answers to these questions could mean you choose anything from an RX580 to a 2080Ti

Resolution of 1440 at 144hz at 150 fps at max settings. Resolution of 4k at 60hz 60fps at max settings.

2 minutes ago, ZolSnak3 said:

I have a dell 1440 144hz, and a seperate samsung 4k 60hz. I play black ops, witcher, gta. i was looking for like 150-200 fps

wow, that's a LOT of GPU horsepower you're looking for.

with 1440 144hz and 4k 60

2080Ti is your only option, and that likely won't do 144hz with max settings at 1440p on some AAA games like Witcher 3

my 1080Ti won't do 100hz at 1440p in witcher 3 if i recall and a 2080Ti is 15-20% faster i believe

Just now, ZolSnak3 said:

Is the titan XP faster than the 2080 ti?

no, it's the same as a 1080Ti

Would an upgrade on any other part of my system help at all and/or bottleneck with a 2080ti?

Just now, ZolSnak3 said:

Would an upgrade on any other part of my system help at all and/or bottleneck with a 2080ti?

technically yes, an overclocked intel 9700k or 9900k would help somewhat, but primarily with very high refresh rate gaming, you're not likely to notice any meaningful difference with most 4k games but you may see a few more fps at 1440p and 140+ FPS.

but, thats really splitting hairs IMO. it's a huge cash investment for a small improvement.

Do you think the 2080 would work as well or should I just invest into a 2080ti?

One of the biggest benefits that i've heard discussed with the Ryzen processors is getting high speed and low latency ram, the ryzen chips really like faster and quicker ram, it helps them especially well.

I don't personally have a lot of knowledge on what the new Ryzens are maxing out at with memory speeds, i do recall that the first gen ryzens had difficulty getting memory to run very fast.

Just now, ZolSnak3 said:

Do you think the 2080 would work as well or should I just invest into a 2080ti?

the 2080 would work very well, it's what... like $400 usd less for 15-20% lower performance. so it's a much better performer at FPS per dollar spent and it can do 4k 60 and 1440p 144hz but it may need some settings turned down to maintain that performance

I heard the new 3000 series is going to be crazy so that's why im getting the 2700x with a future to uprgade too a 3000 series when it comes out

Also I know this isn't the ram section but for the X370, would dual or quad channel RAM be better?

5 minutes ago, ZolSnak3 said:

Also I know this isn't the ram section but for the X370, would dual or quad channel RAM be better?

To my knowledge Ryzen 2700x is only a dual channel setup, installing 4 sticks of ram will not provide better performance vs 2 sticks of ram because installing 2 more sticks of ram does not increase the memory bandwidth.

however, 2 sticks of ram could potentially give you better overclocking results due to only having to deal with overclocking 2 sticks of ram instead of 4 sticks and the likelyhood of one of those sticks dragging the others down in speed.

also, if your primary use for this setup will be gaming and you have no other specific need for 32gb of ram, then for gaming anyway, I can see no reason to have more than 16gb of ram in the system.

My rig is a primary gaming setup but it will also be used for VR and as a workstations. Id use it for some of my cyber security work.