PC won't start.

Hey Everyone. 

So today I got an NVMe EVO 1tb SSD. I installed it into my system and tried to boot the system and was greeted with a black screen and a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner. 

I don't know much about computer software, so I haven't fiddled with the bios or anything to try fix it. 

My current system is 

Z170A Gaming M3 

8GB DDR4 RAM

Asus GTX 1070ti 

i5 6600 

I have checked wether my Motherboard is compatible with the NVMe and as far as I can tell it is. 

When I remove the drive the pc boots perfectly fine. So I'm confused as to why it doesn't work with it installed 

Help

Many thanks. 

what drive is your OS installed on? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, corrado33 said:

Set your boot device order correct in your bios. Computer is trying to boot off of the NVMe drive and not finding an OS. 

I just spoke to a friend and they recommended that. Tried it and still nothing. My boot drive should be my SSD. I have a 1tb HDD and a 128 gb ssd. I changed the boot device order to the ssd, then the Hdd and no luck. 

Just now, A-Very-Ignorant-Tech-Geek said:

I have a 128GB SanDisk SSD 

Make sure and quote people so they see your reply, if I weren't watching this thread as I muck around in Discord I'd have missed your message. And:

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Set your boot device order correct in your bios. Computer is trying to boot off of the NVMe drive and not finding an OS. 

^^^ This. You need to set your SSD with the OS on it as the highest boot priority. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Make sure and quote people so they see your reply, if I weren't watching this thread as I muck around in Discord I'd have missed your message. And:

^^^ This. You need to set your SSD with the OS on it as the highest boot priority. 

Sorry how do I quote people? I'm new to the whole forum business 

1 minute ago, A-Very-Ignorant-Tech-Geek said:

Press that curved arrow at the bottom of the post you want to quote

Just the little arrow under their post, you just did it above. On your first reply you didn't quote anyone so I assumed you didn't know you needed to because you're new to the forums, but you seem to have gotten the hang of it. 

3 minutes ago, A-Very-Ignorant-Tech-Geek said:

I just spoke to a friend and they recommended that. Tried it and still nothing. My boot drive should be my SSD. I have a 1tb HDD and a 128 gb ssd. I changed the boot device order to the ssd, then the Hdd and no luck. 

Hmmmmmmm.... could take a look at the manual for your mobo? Some disable the M.2 slots by default or something, but I don't see how that would effect a normal SSD booting. Unless your M.2 slot steals a SATA port (on some mobos they do), you could just happen to have your boot SSD plugged into that exact port. 

Main PC 

4 minutes ago, A-Very-Ignorant-Tech-Geek said:

Some motherboards have the option of automatically booting from the fastest drive (nvme in this case). Try manually booting into your os from boot menu

Just to be clear: You have two drives, the SSD and the disk your OS is currently installed on?

Because it sounds like the boot priority of the SSD is higher than the one of the disk with your OS, and since your PC can't find an OS on your SSD, it won't boot.

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

7 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

Just to be clear: You have two drives, the SSD and the disk your OS is currently installed on?

Because it sounds like the boot priority of the SSD is higher than the one of the disk with your OS, and since your PC can't find an OS on your SSD, it won't boot.

I currently have an SSD that is 128gb I also have an Hdd that is 1tb

I just installed a 1tb NVMe 

The OS is on the 128 gb ssd. 

I have tried moving the sata cables around. I have tried opening the boot menu and choose my boot drive.

It works fine without the NVMe installed. I don't know why it won't boot with it installed 

18 minutes ago, Scorpio 72472 said:

Some motherboards have the option of automatically booting from the fastest drive (nvme in this case). Try manually booting into your os from boot menu

I have tried moving the sata cables around. I have tried opening the boot menu and choose my boot drive. 

Nothing seems to work 

20 minutes ago, A-Very-Ignorant-Tech-Geek said:

Nothing seems to work 

Have you tried checking the device registry in the bios menu and see if the nvme is listed or not? If nothing works, try removing the 128gb ssd and installing Windows from a bootable flashdrive into the nvme

4 minutes ago, Scorpio 72472 said:

Have you tried checking the device registry in the bios menu and see if the nvme is listed or not? If nothing works, try removing the 128gb ssd and installing Windows from a bootable flashdrive.

What's the device registry? 

I'm trying that now. Removing the OS from the SSD and installing it onto a bootable drive, then installing the NVMe, and booting windows onto the NVMe 

What's the device registry? 

I'm sorry I forgot the real name of it that's why I'm calling it registry. Basically, your motherboard has a list of all detected devices starting from monitor to processor. You should check the if the nvme is listed on it. Where the registry is located depends on your Motherboard

56 minutes ago, Scorpio 72472 said:

I'm sorry I forgot the real name of it that's why I'm calling it registry. Basically, your motherboard has a list of all detected devices starting from monitor to processor. You should check the if the nvme is listed on it. Where the registry is located depends on your Motherboard

Aah okay. Yes. It is listen on the registry. Also it shows up on the boot menu. 

I'm loading my os into a different drive, and will try booting without the ssd plugged in. Then if that works I'll try without the ssd but with the nvme, if all goes to plan, I'll then try migrate the OS onto the NVMe and then reinstall the old ssd. If that fails I'll purchase a new copy of Windows 10. 

Can't see any other fixes 

7 hours ago, A-Very-Ignorant-Tech-Geek said:

Aah okay. Yes. It is listen on the registry. Also it shows up on the boot menu. 

I'm loading my os into a different drive, and will try booting without the ssd plugged in. Then if that works I'll try without the ssd but with the nvme, if all goes to plan, I'll then try migrate the OS onto the NVMe and then reinstall the old ssd. If that fails I'll purchase a new copy of Windows 10. 

Can't see any other fixes 

Did it work?

As far as I know, you can reinstall your old windows os without buying it new. 

I think I know what it is. When you have an m.2 SSD (the nvme you have), it disables one of the SATA ports because it needs to use that lane. You need to plug your boot drive into a different SATA port on the motherboard that isn't being used by the m.2 drive through the lanes. Just try every port that isn't being used until it works. If this doesn't work I don't know whats wrong.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu