Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been eyeing an upgrade from my current Xeon x3440 (nehalem) due to poor FSX performance.

However, as I'm a cheapskates, I'm considering what is the best value I can get. I play CS, FSX, ETS2 and Insurgency and I like to stream a bit.

Sandy bridge - e3 1230 for $55 + mobo

Ivy bridge - e3 1230 v2 for $80 + Mobo

Haswell - e3 1220 v3 for $65 

I have a 1050 TI and play at 16x9

(Getting an Rx 470 and 1080 monitors)

Is the e3 1230 much better than the x3440? And is hyperthreading worth it over the cheaper e3 1220 v3?

Best price to performance ratio with a motherboard included would be the Intel Xeon X5660 or X5650 on the LGA 1366 platform. They both have very slightly better single core performance than the x3440 and both have SIGNIFICANTLY better multi core performance. (Mainly because they're both 6 core hyperthreaded chips.)

The E3 1220 V3 doesn't really give you that much performance over the X3440.

How much are the respective motherboards going to cost? In my experience server grade motherboards are significantly more expensive. Why wouldn't you consider newer consumer grade parts (new or used)?

@COUPER MILLAR can find motherboards for less than $20 from old Enterprise systems on ebay.

@corrado33 I don't incredible multicore perf, just enough to stream a bit and play cities skylines. FSX and Insurgency demand single core performance though. Also that would bring the total cost to about $100.

7 minutes ago, Kittiwakki said:

@COUPER MILLAR can find motherboards for less than $20 from old Enterprise systems on ebay.

@corrado33 I don't incredible multicore perf, just enough to stream a bit and play cities skylines. FSX and Insurgency demand single core performance though. Also that would bring the total cost to about $100.

I mean, single core isn't really xeon's specialty. 

Why not just buy an i7-870 for ~$45 US. Same multicore, with better single core because of turbo boost. (And same motherboard.) 

2 minutes ago, Kittiwakki said:

@corrado33 I found an e3 1220 v2 on eBay for $37, would that be better than the x3470/870?

Yes that's about an average price for the 1220 v2. Technically yes, it does have better single core performance than the 870 (the x3470 isn't in my sheet.) However, you'd have to buy a new mobo for it.