PC case shocks

RelyBedGrammer

Hi, my PC case and ports on the case and motherboards are emitting electric shocks, I assume it is some kind of grounding issue with the PSU ( RMx 750W ) that only packs with a 2 prong power outlet cable that I currently use, but I'm not quite sure, the static shocks doesn't happen other electronics plugged into my wall power outlet

I'd appreciate any help, Thanks!

You need to find, a use, a power cord that has the third prong.  That prong is used for grounding and without that, your system is not properly grounded resulting in the problems that you describe.  Are you saying that your PSU does not use a three prong power plug?  If so, then you need to figure out an alternate plan for grounding your system.  You can do that by running a copper wire from the case of your machine to the center screw of the faceplate on the power outlet in the wall.  I am assuming that you are located in the USA.  If not in the USA, then you will need to find a solution for your problem relative to the country and area you live in.

Yeah, get a ground pin IMMEDIATELY.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

30 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Are you saying that your PSU does not use a three prong power plug?

yeah, it looked something like this,

is it safe if I just use some random AC cable and not the one from Corsair?

sorry im not that crafty with cables, so ill just play it safe

29 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Yeah, get a ground pin IMMEDIATELY.

sorry I don't really get it, can you explain?

edit : is it something like this?

Mine and my father's PC case also shocks anyone who touch them.

I just stripped a hard cable 2cm its both ends, and plant a nail to bottom of my concrete wall then connect the nail to the PC case with that cable, then the shock is gone forever. Case closed! Have a great day..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

10 hours ago, RelyBedGrammer said:

Hi, my PC case and ports on the case and motherboards are emitting electric shocks, I assume it is some kind of grounding issue with the PSU ( RMx 750W ) that only packs with a 2 prong power outlet cable that I currently use, but I'm not quite sure, the static shocks doesn't happen other electronics plugged into my wall power outlet

I'd appreciate any help, Thanks!

Corsair PSUs are never packed with power cords without ground.  Even the Japanese versions have a ground cable to screw down to the wall plate.

Where are you located and where did you buy the PSU from?  Did you buy it new?

9 hours ago, RelyBedGrammer said:

yeah, it looked something like this,

edit : is it something like this?

Ok.  So the PSU DID ship with a power cord with a ground.  You just don't know what to look for.

Those terminals on either side of the prongs ARE the ground pins.

They should come in contact with ground pins in the socket.  That said:  Does your SOCKET not have the ground pins that should mate with those contacts?  If not, then your SOCKET is not grounded.

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Corsair PSUs are never packed with power cords without ground.  Even the Japanese versions have a ground cable to screw down to the wall plate.

Where are you located and where did you buy the PSU from?  Did you buy it new?

I bought it in Indonesia and it's new

4 minutes ago, RelyBedGrammer said:

I bought it in Indonesia and it's new

image.png.eb35a2f34ac63e919743cde1d18c3682.png

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

image.png.eb35a2f34ac63e919743cde1d18c3682.png

ahh, I see, I've always wondered what those holes are for, Thanks for the info

quick question though, If I replaced the AC cable with the three prong ones like this one, would it cause any trouble with the PSU, and will it get rid of the shock?

sorry if this is too much to ask

3 minutes ago, RelyBedGrammer said:

ahh, I see, I've always wondered what those holes are for, Thanks for the info

quick question though, If I replaced the AC cable with the three prong ones like this one, would it cause any trouble with the PSU, and will it get rid of the shock?

sorry if this is too much to ask

If you have a grounded wall outlet that supports it and is grounded, then there should be no more "shock".

Those power cords are fairly universal.  There shouldn't be any issue with buying one off the shelf and using it with any PSU.  And since you live in a country with 230V mains, you don't even really have to worry about the wire gauge.  Just make sure the cord is from a brand name that has proper safety certifications.  Wouldn't want to burn down your house.

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

If you have a grounded wall outlet that supports it and is grounded, then there should be no more "shock".

Those power cords are fairly universal.  There shouldn't be any issue with buying one off the shelf and using it with any PSU.  And since you live in a country with 230V mains, you don't even really have to worry about the wire gauge.  Just make sure the cord is from a brand name that has proper safety certifications.  Wouldn't want to burn down your house.

I see, thanks for the help man! appreciate it