Does this exist?

grangervoldemort
1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

Nope, as far as i can see it we are both correct as there are two JBOD modes. A spanned and a unspanned mode. Spanned is the way you describe it and unspanned the way i describe it, which is also called "Vanilla-JBOD".

So again, how many drives do you actually want to use?

I have now multiple times mentioned how many drives I have and literally just told you how many drives I need to use outside of my PC's new case.

Show me a link that shows unspanned JBOD. Google searching it results in nothing,

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

• 7 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 8:50 PM, Tristerin said:

But the OP wanted to add his own drives, many drives.  I agree this is good for a NAS/LAN storage but he wanted to use a bunch of old drives. 

A NAS can only be accessed if its connected to a LAN or WAN by another computer.  Or you can call it another PC, or a USB drive can be used in the exact same way.  There are so many options .

I didn't say I want to use my old drives. I would rather get rid of them by selling them and get high capacity drives that are all the same brand and model for my daily use and a different brand and model for backup (to help offset chance of failure).

I was saying that buying new hard drives is cheaper than buying a ready made NAS which cost £2,000+ for the kind that Casey Neistat uses. I STILL don't even understand WTF is the point of a NAS.

I need to be able to access and backup my data from (atm) one PC. 

I live at home with my family and I do not want them accessing my personal files. They are abusive and I record it (which constitute some of the personal files), so putting the NAS on the router is a no no. Plus I want the drives to be offline PHYSICALLY at the pull of a cable within arms reach. Don't really want all my data wiped from say, a hack.

I would also like the backups to happen without me having to do anything other than plugging the backup drives into the PC. 

So let's say for whatever reason I buy a NAS with 40TB in RAID so 20TB usable space. I would then want to get my individual drives I would buy for backup which would come in individual enclosures (if that's the route I go down) to then backup automatically from the NAS drives.

You sure you STILL want to make your own NAS?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller