Gameplay capture settings for eventual youtube vids?

porina

It has been an idea kicking around my head for a while, and with the holiday season approaching I might even do something about it. In short, I've been thinking about capturing gameplay footage, and editing it into something inspired by  episodic TV content. Now I'm thinking, what settings?

The biggest two questions I have are simply resolution and framerate. I normally play the game in 1440p, but could bump it up to 4k, as I was thinking of making a 2nd account to use as my "camera" so can exist on a separate system. I'm thinking of mastering the output in 1080p, so the higher capture resolution would help give better quality, especially if I want to crop the frame for any reason.

Then there's framerate... this isn't going to be high action, so I'm debating if 60fps is worth it, or will 30fps suffice. This could allow individual captured frames to look better at a given bitrate, and also could halve the processing time.

Any thoughts?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I've done a bit of filming and game capturing in games and I've kinda mastered the best settings. 

My Rig: Core i7 8700K, 16Gb DDR4 RAM, Gtx 1080ti 

I've found that running at 1080p is the best choice for native res, but I recommend bumping up sampling as high as possible. Anti Aliasing should be set as high as your system can handle. The same goes for texture settings, shadows etc, put them all as high as you possibly can. 

In terms of your FPS, you need to be hitting at the least, 60fps otherwise the video will look laggy on the vast majority of monitors. Now it entirely depends what kind of filming you're going to be doing in game, if you're sticking to a "terrain appreciation" kind of video, you can perhaps get away with 30-45fps, but if you're including lots of moving parts you need to be going higher.

In terms of what you use for filming, I recommend two ways of doing this. Firstly, an external capture card, this will help limit any performance degradation you may run into when filming, which is a pretty common occurrence when filming a game (lag spikes etc). The cheaper option of this, which I personally use is Nvidia GeForce experience, there's no noticeable performance drop which is extremely ideal. 

Any questions, hmu!

-Flinty  

1 hour ago, Flinty said:

My Rig: Core i7 8700K, 16Gb DDR4 RAM, Gtx 1080ti 

I'm still debating which system to use for capture, and I'm leaning towards the system I also use for video editing:

i7-7800X, 16GB ram, GPU TBD (should move the 2070 into it, otherwise it'll be old 980ti which might struggle)

1 hour ago, Flinty said:

I've found that running at 1080p is the best choice for native res, but I recommend bumping up sampling as high as possible. Anti Aliasing should be set as high as your system can handle. The same goes for texture settings, shadows etc, put them all as high as you possibly can. 

I didn't say it, but yes, I would be aiming for max settings at whatever resolution I run at. Then it becomes a matter of adequate fps. Ensuring 60fps at 4k is still challenging, but 30fps is easy. I'd run fixed 30fps if I were to do that. Basically my realistic choices are recording at 4k30fps, or 1440p30/60fps.

1 hour ago, Flinty said:

In terms of your FPS, you need to be hitting at the least, 60fps otherwise the video will look laggy on the vast majority of monitors. Now it entirely depends what kind of filming you're going to be doing in game, if you're sticking to a "terrain appreciation" kind of video, you can perhaps get away with 30-45fps, but if you're including lots of moving parts you need to be going higher.

My thinking is, I'm not going for high action. Regular TV and film content is ok at lower rates, and I think I would be too. I love the phrase "terrain appreciation". It isn't what I'm doing, but in a way not that far off :) 

1 hour ago, Flinty said:

The cheaper option of this, which I personally use is Nvidia GeForce experience, there's no noticeable performance drop which is extremely ideal. 

This is what I'm planning on using. I could add, I've used it already and I'm ok with the output. Up to now, I've ran at unlimited fps and set capture to 30fps, and it seems ok to me. But in case it helps for more serious stuff, I was planning on fixing at 30/60fps so there is less likely to be temporal variation in frame spacing.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

So you mention about TV and stuff, agreed you can drop frames quite a lot because on larger screens you're less likely to notice that frame drop because of the larger image. However you are talking about a youtube production and if it's a game orientated video, it's more likely to be watched on smaller screens, so I recommend keeping the FPS higher than what you would do for TV. 

I would recommend using the 2070 for rendering the footage in game, with the 980ti for capture, if you can perhaps overclock it to prevent bottlenecking, you should be set. 

Your geforce settings can vary being honest. I personally keep it capped at 60fps, it's pretty much all you need for most things. 

The general rule for this stuff is max settings without compromising frames is what you want!