Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Random Semi\hard Lock Up

perplex

Problem - pc will freeze and sound shutters. i can move mouse, open task manager, i cant close programs even in task manager (end task), if i try open programs like hw monitor it opens but only white, so doesnt fully load, task manager i can swap between tabs but all the stats are frozen, i have to press the reset button to fix it

i get no error codes, nothing

i first started experiencing this when i played COD 4 blackops zombies, ive had this pc for many years and never noticed any issues until this game, but just before i was watching twitch and youtube on firefox and it happend, so its not just with games.

i updated the BIOS (Beta for spectre, Asus wont take out of BETA) back in May 2018 and also installed a m.2 in a PCI slot/formatted pc. and didnt have any issues untill the start of November 2018 when i started playing COD, so i put it down to the game, but since it happened when i was hardly doing anything, i feel it could be something else.

the past years i had no troubles, its only happened since the BIOS or the M.2, my guess is its the M.2 since everything 95% locks up, i may put my SSD's back in and run off that while gaming to see if it fixes, but it doesnt happen everytime so it will be hard to test

Specs -

Asus z97 pro

i7 4790k (not overclocked)

Crucial ballistix tactical tracer 4gb x 4

Asus Strix GTX970

Corsair HX750i

m.2 970 pro 512GB

Asus Xonor STX essence sound card

Windows 10 64bit

BIOS 3503 Beta for the specter fix (Asus will never bring it out of beta since its a older system)

hope thats all the information you need

see if anyone can help

Thanks

well guess no one really knows.

well i clones my m.2 to my old ssd's in raid 0, so when i game ill swap over to them to see if there is any difference. assuming if i have no issues then its the m.2 for some reason

17 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Scan for viruses or malware.  Sounds a lot like an infection.

just finished the scan and nothing came up

you wont get error codes because your manually resetting, its will usually just have "pc shut down unexpectedly" with no information

if the bios update or change you did was an issue im guessing that your pc probably wouldn't boot

it could be the m2 but doesn't really seem like it, the easy way to test that is take it out, if its gone done, don't quote me on this but you might also want to check if you loose a sata port when you install an m2 just something else to watch, try that first to rule it out or in.

sounds like a corruption issue open cmd as admin and type "sfc/scannow" let it run see if it finds anything

when you cant open programs and everything fails to load like a memory problem its probably due to corruption and stuff running in the backround making everything crash because its using all your ram. I would ask what % is being used straight after booting but you can even use task manager or hw monitor so that's why I think corruption.

maybe also try install 3-4 virus programs then delete the ones you added if they also find nothing, its annoying but this does help find things hiding, I just don't recommend leaving all 4 installed

I use Superantispyware / Malwarebytes / Avg free / Spybot seach and destroy / Adwcleaner / Ccleaner all at once in a situation like that

36 minutes ago, mjbeez46 said:

when you cant open programs and everything fails to load like a memory problem its probably due to corruption and stuff running in the backround making everything crash because its using all your ram. I would ask what % is being used straight after booting but you can even use task manager or hw monitor so that's why I think corruption.

this part is wrong, i can use my pc fine 99% of the time, its only when i tied this one game it happens alot, and its only happened once when not playing, i thought it was the game that was crashing it, but since it happened when i wasnt gaming, it lead me to think something else.

RAM usage is about 30% when booted

its not a old install, only about 5 months, Malwarebytes came back with nothing

the sfc/scannow just said if found currupt files and repaired them, i had a look in the log file buti im not really sure what im looking for to see what it fixed, most errors say "Error: Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory"

well if it found anything that's a positive sign. It means it fixed something that was corrupt. duplicate ownership could suggest some asshole was trying to hack you, ownership dsnt change by itself

30% is pretty good cant complain about that

time will tell, run cod 4 again now and see if it crashes the same way ?

2 hours ago, perplex said:

just finished the scan and nothing came up

Please try Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

you can also run "netstat -ano" in cmd to see whos connected, match the pid's to processes in task manager to check exactly what they are this is time consuming but almost necessary 

9 minutes ago, mjbeez46 said:

well if it found anything that's a positive sign. It means it fixed something that was corrupt. duplicate ownership could suggest some asshole was trying to hack you, ownership dsnt change by itself

30% is pretty good cant complain about that

time will tell, run cod 4 again now and see if it crashes the same way ?

it doesnt happen every time.. so that will make it hard, ill give it a go, see what happens, if it happens again, ill try it off the SSD's instead of the m.2. but it may happen 1 in 10 games so.

4 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

yea i did malwarebytes, it didnt show anything

3 minutes ago, mjbeez46 said:

you can also run "netstat -ano" in cmd to see whos connected, match the pid's to processes in task manager to check exactly what they are this is time consuming but almost necessary 

i mean if this is the case, ill just format...

ill try make a video if it happens again

1 out of 10 fails, I think that's a standard windows feature ;)

yes its not worth the time, just format the error away if it continues

On 12/13/2018 at 1:36 PM, Falkentyne said:

On 12/13/2018 at 1:56 PM, mjbeez46 said:

1 out of 10 fails, I think that's a standard windows feature ;)

yes its not worth the time, just format the error away if it continues

so it just happened again while not gaming, i recorded some videos of it.

the sound will stop the shuttering eventually, task manager i can open and swap tabs at the start, then i cant even swap tabs, i open CMD and its just blank

each video keeps getting worse and worse, locking up more and more

is there anything i can run when its doing it?

tested my RAM and thats fine, played a couple of games on the SSD and so far its fine....

decided to chat to samsung support, i had no idea there was a NVME driver... installed that but still didnt fix lol

they are wanting me to format the drive but i dont see how that could change anything since ive cloned the drive to my SSD's and i dont get and freezing on them only when i boot off the NVME

but i guess ill just format it, install the 1 game and try see if it freezes...

i with there was some software i could run that monitors everything and finds out what stops working, resulting in the semi freeze

• 2 weeks later...

well after a format and a number of games, it seems the issue has gone away....

although the format doesnt have everything installed, just the basics.

so i have no idea what the issue was/is since the clone worked fine on my SSD but not on my NVME...