Connected a Netgear WiFi extender and lost all internet access

JakeDonger

Bought a Netgear nighthawk x4 WiFi extender and set it up. Followed all the directions and the next thing I know none of the internet works. I have my desktop hooked up via Ethernet and even that doesn’t work. All the lights on the router are on and I’ve tried restarting it multiple times. Talked to Netgear support on the phone and they want to charge me 200 dollars for someone to come out and fix it. Is there a way to fix it myself?

You can reset your router back to factory settings and get internet working again. Then when you have time to troubleshoot and have possible downtime setup the WiFi extender. I can't think of why a Wifi extender would cause so much trouble. I will do some research on the Netgear nighthawk x4 WiFi extender to see where you could have went wrong.

6 minutes ago, JakeDonger said:

Bought a Netgear nighthawk x4 WiFi extender and set it up. Followed all the directions and the next thing I know none of the internet works. I have my desktop hooked up via Ethernet and even that doesn’t work. All the lights on the router are on and I’ve tried restarting it multiple times. Talked to Netgear support on the phone and they want to charge me 200 dollars for someone to come out and fix it. Is there a way to fix it myself?

Did you unplug the extender and see if you have internet?

38 minutes ago, crashahotrod said:

Did you unplug the extender and see if you have internet?

Just tried uplugging it and nothing happened. Going to try to factory reset the router

53 minutes ago, JakeDonger said:

etgear support on the phone and they want to charge me 200 dollars for someone to come out and fix it

Lets take a step back, Netgear offered to send a tech out? This is a thing now?

Try resetting it or try unplugging it from ALL other equipment and see if you can login to the router through a browser at 192.168.1.1

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Lets take a step back, Netgear offered to send a tech out? This is a thing now?

*snip*

It is probably just a local service (like Best Buy's Geek Squad) they send.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler