Testing a 2nd hand laptop before buying?

Hello there!!

I'm about to buy a laptop and I saw a very nice specs one, but I want some help about how to test the laptop and see some benchs about it, to see if it works propertly. Also I'm concern about the battery: is it anyway to test it?

Thanks! ♥

Ask the seller to charge the laptop and before buying it ask him to let u test it.

I would ask the seller if he could run battery eater:
http://www.batteryeater.com/download.html
It will show some animation and push the processor to 100% load. Every minute it creates a new row in a log file, so you just reboot the laptop when it dies, open the log file, and you know how long it lived. I usually compare the score to the review on Notebookcheck.net. They use this tool to benchmark new laptops.

I recently bought a 3rd Gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon which still had 90% of the battery life left, with the original battery!

Apart from that I would run the basic stuff.
- Look if the screen has damages
- Run Heaven or push the GPU in any other way
- Test all connectivity
- Look at the temps with HWinfo
- Run a RAM test
- Crystaldiskinfo to check the state of the HDD

On 12/4/2018 at 9:25 PM, Pyramiden said:

It will show some animation and push the processor to 100% load. Every minute it creates a new row in a log file, so you just reboot the laptop when it dies, open the log file, and you know how long it lived. I usually compare the score to the review on Notebookcheck.net. They use this tool to benchmark new laptops.

I recently bought a 3rd Gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon which still had 90% of the battery life left, with the original battery!

- Test all connectivity
- Run a RAM test

Would you take a Lenovo 13" 710s-13isk, i7 6500u, 8gb, 256 SSD with about 1.5 years of usage in an apparently decent shape 
ooorr a brand new Teclast F7 (china power) Celeron N3450, 6Gb, 128 SSD ???

6 hours ago, Sphiral said:

Would you take a Lenovo 13" 710s-13isk, i7 6500u, 8gb, 256 SSD with about 1.5 years of usage in an apparently decent shape 
ooorr a brand new Teclast F7 (china power) Celeron N3450, 6Gb, 128 SSD ???

What do you need the laptop for? Personally I would pick the Lenovo any day, since the processor is more than twice as fast as the Celeron (a fast dual core feels way better than a slow quad-core).
I used to have a Thinkpad 10, which is about as fast as the Teclast (except that it had slow EMMC storage). It was fine in the beginning, but after a while it gets annoying how slow it was. Eventually I swapped it for a Latitude 5285 because it was just too slow for anything except basic office and web.

Where will you buy the Teclast and how reputable is the seller? I have to admit that I am a bit biased towards the Lenovo because I have had too much luch with buying refurbished business machines, so your milage may vary.

14 minutes ago, Pyramiden said:

What do you need the laptop for? Personally I would pick the Lenovo any day, since the processor is more than twice as fast as the Celeron (a fast dual core feels way better than a slow quad-core).
I used to have a Thinkpad 10, which is about as fast as the Teclast (except that it had slow EMMC storage). It was fine in the beginning, but after a while it gets annoying how slow it was. Eventually I swapped it for a Latitude 5285 because it was just too slow for anything except basic office and web.

Where will you buy the Teclast and how reputable is the seller? I have to admit that I am a bit biased towards the Lenovo because I have had too much luch with buying refurbished business machines, so your milage may vary.

I only use it when I travel: around 60 days a year aprox. And I want it for a basic use: youtube, films, music....nothing fancy
I bought it on Amazon, so I'm pretty safe on that matter.
The Lenovo is 2nd hand with a decent price. Works nice but it's noisy sometimes and battery should be worst than the Teclast

In that case I would pick the Teclast. It is fast enough, and for me the battery life would be a big plus over the Lenovo.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:25 PM, Pyramiden said:

- Test all connectivity
- Run a RAM test

I just did the test.....but no idea about the LOG file....where should it be?

2 hours ago, Sphiral said:

I just did the test.....but no idea about the LOG file....where should it be?

It is a text file, somewhere in the battery eater folder.

1 hour ago, Pyramiden said:

It is a text file, somewhere in the battery eater folder.

It was in a folder with today's date ?