PC Instantly Restarts (No BSOD) GPU/PSU

Go to solution Solved by PasitimusD,

An UPDATE and FIX:

So I was too lazy to actually troubleshoot the problem until today. Tried removing one additional components at a time (1 Fan, 2 Fans, Led Strips etc) but still gets the same problem. Was playing with only 70% maximum power limit. And then I TRIED RECONNECTING THE 24 Pin POWER and 4 Pin CPU POWER connectors to the mobo. And Poof!!

Been running OCCT at 125% power limit, +135 Mhz Core and +350 Mhz Memory and NO CRASHES or RESTARTS. Been so close to buying a new PSU but glad I was able to find the culprit.

Tried using Cooler Masters watts Estimator and it says my PC Consumes around 486 Watts on Load so probably would still consider buying a higher wattage PSU soon. Thanks to all who answered!

Recently, while playing Warthunder, i suddenly experienced random pc restarts w/o bluescreens. Just straight turning off of my pc and automatically starting again though my cryorig cpu cooler led rgb never turns off. At first, it occured maybe once or twice a day. Then it got frequent so it got me concerned. Specs are as follows:

CPU: i5 4460

GPU: Galax Exoc GTX 970 Exoc Black

PSU: Cougar HEC 550w 80+ Bronze

1080p 144hz Monitor

Win10 64 bit
GPU OC Settings : +0 Core, +0 Memory, 125% Power Limit

Notes:

Had the system for over 3 years now. No previous problems whatsoever.

Only happes in warthunder. Other AAA games have no problem (Rise of Tomb, Witcher III, Crysis). Warthunder res is x2 via nvidia MFAA

Downloaded OCCT, Furmark and Heaven. Problem occurs only on OCCT GPU Stress Test and PSU Stress Test.
CPU is fine, done Aida64 no problem

Nvidia drivers are up to date.

Ran furmark and heaven with a +75 Core and +275 Mem Clock and 125% Power Limit = NO PROBLEM

Ran OCCT PSU Stress test using +0 Core and +0 Mem and Power Limit of 100% = RESTART almost instantly

Checked Win Event Logs and it says Kernel Power 41 Critical Error

I was able to run warthunder and OCCT no problem using the 75% power limit. I also noticed during the OCCT that even though the power limit was set to 75%, it would sometimes jump to 90% or so.

something might be wrong with your psu. swap for another brick for sure.

what the typical time do you play this game? maybe you have some major ripple in your mains power, it can trip some power supply.

im not an audience for these kind of game but it doesnt look like a game with heavy graphics content. and while your rig can go thru benchmarks with no problem that only means nothing wrong with your graphics card. (furmark only taxing on vram, not gpu)

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

15 hours ago, PasitimusD said:

Recently, while playing Warthunder, i suddenly experienced random pc restarts w/o bluescreens. Just straight turning off of my pc and automatically starting again though my cryorig cpu cooler led rgb never turns off. At first, it occured maybe once or twice a day. Then it got frequent so it got me concerned. Specs are as follows:

CPU: i5 4460

GPU: Galax Exoc GTX 970 Exoc Black

PSU: Cougar HEC 550w 80+ Bronze

1080p 144hz Monitor

Win10 64 bit
GPU OC Settings : +0 Core, +0 Memory, 125% Power Limit

Notes:

Had the system for over 3 years now. No previous problems whatsoever.

Only happes in warthunder. Other AAA games have no problem (Rise of Tomb, Witcher III, Crysis). Warthunder res is x2 via nvidia MFAA

Downloaded OCCT, Furmark and Heaven. Problem occurs only on OCCT GPU Stress Test and PSU Stress Test.
CPU is fine, done Aida64 no problem

Nvidia drivers are up to date.

Ran furmark and heaven with a +75 Core and +275 Mem Clock and 125% Power Limit = NO PROBLEM

Ran OCCT PSU Stress test using +0 Core and +0 Mem and Power Limit of 100% = RESTART almost instantly

Checked Win Event Logs and it says Kernel Power 41 Critical Error

I was able to run warthunder and OCCT no problem using the 75% power limit. I also noticed during the OCCT that even though the power limit was set to 75%, it would sometimes jump to 90% or so.

Probably a dodgy PSU, cougar isn't a very reputable brand. Try getting a unit from Corsair or evga and if it still persists try a higher wattage.

I agree with those who pointed out the PSU as the likely cause. A dodgy PSU also risks the lifespan of your components too, as the unstable power affects their longtime lifespan, and really bad ones can even burst into flames. PSUs from brands like Corsair are built better with higher standards of quality, and can be had in higher efficiencies too.

[Suggestion] Maybe even take the opportunity for a semi/full modular PSU to tidy up your cable runs?

Sorry for not being able to reply recently. Though I almost agree that it could be the PSU, why is it limited though to only one game. That's what bugs me. As playing other heavy intesive games mentioned above caused no problems. Thanks for replying!

38 minutes ago, PasitimusD said:

Sorry for not being able to reply recently. Though I almost agree that it could be the PSU, why is it limited though to only one game. That's what bugs me. As playing other heavy intesive games mentioned above caused no problems. Thanks for replying!

you didnt read my reply dont you? maybe it's the time you play that specific game. in rush hour it tends to have ripples or voltage drop in mains.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

14 hours ago, zassou said:

you didnt read my reply dont you? maybe it's the time you play that specific game. in rush hour it tends to have ripples or voltage drop in mains.

I did read your comment sir. My bad I wasn't able to reply properly. I don't think it has to do with the mains, otherwise other games would cause crashes as well. And I've tried playing the game both during daytime and at 3 am in the morning and still have the same problem. Thanks again for replying :D

• 4 weeks later...

An UPDATE and FIX:

So I was too lazy to actually troubleshoot the problem until today. Tried removing one additional components at a time (1 Fan, 2 Fans, Led Strips etc) but still gets the same problem. Was playing with only 70% maximum power limit. And then I TRIED RECONNECTING THE 24 Pin POWER and 4 Pin CPU POWER connectors to the mobo. And Poof!!

Been running OCCT at 125% power limit, +135 Mhz Core and +350 Mhz Memory and NO CRASHES or RESTARTS. Been so close to buying a new PSU but glad I was able to find the culprit.

Tried using Cooler Masters watts Estimator and it says my PC Consumes around 486 Watts on Load so probably would still consider buying a higher wattage PSU soon. Thanks to all who answered!