Is this build any good?

HappyFlap

Currency is GBP = £

So I currently have this build going and I feel like I need to have it checked over to make sure I am getting my bang for my buck. My budget is currently £1100-£1200 GBP, if I can make any dramatic changes that are better by upscaling the price a little, I will do so. The computer will be for gaming. I will be playing the recently released games, and your typical multiplayer games like Overwatch, CSGO, Rainbow Six: Siege, Battlefield V.

I currently have one monitor at 1920x1080 at 144hz and plan to get another one, but I do not want to place that in the build. My other peripherals are fine. The reason I am upgrading is that the computer I have now is no longer of use for me. I will end up giving it to my brother or it will become the family computer for college work and general web browsing etc.

This is the current build I have.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: *Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£239.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: *CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler  (£38.94 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£88.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: *Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£114.46 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: *Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£36.95 @ Aria PC)
Storage: *Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£52.80 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: *Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Mini Video Card  (£359.99 @ Novatech)
Case: *Thermaltake - Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£34.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: *EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£72.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1040.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-04 13:37 GMT+0000

Not really the best person to comment on the hardware choices, however I would recommend going with a different case. Doesn't seem like that one would have great airflow for the components you're planning on using. Looks a little small, everything would be really cramped in there.

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

Nothing is obviously bad, but I'd go with a different case. Thermaltake doesn't have the best business practices or support. Here are some alternatives, but I'm a fan of Fractal Design.

Why do you want ATX rather than mATX?

Cryorig has had some problems with machining tolerances in the past, but that cooler should be fine for a 9600k (and will probably fit) . I can't really recommend a Noctua D15 with it being over double the price, but if you're looking for some alternatives, here are a couple.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I hope you do not plan on ocing with that mobo, as it will most likely barely hold the chips turbo boost. Also, don't get a mini card, their temps are baaaaad, and lastly, for the same price, I am positive you can find a better case

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

26 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

I hope you do not plan on ocing with that mobo, as it will most likely barely hold the chips turbo boost. Also, don't get a mini card, their temps are baaaaad, and lastly, for the same price, I am positive you can find a better case

I do plan on overclocking. Any recommendations for me that can improve the build overall?

35 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Nothing is obviously bad, but I'd go with a different case. Thermaltake doesn't have the best business practices or support. Here are some alternatives, but I'm a fan of Fractal Design.

Why do you want ATX rather than mATX?

Cryorig has had some problems with machining tolerances in the past, but that cooler should be fine for a 9600k (and will probably fit) . I can't really recommend a Noctua D15 with it being over double the price, but if you're looking for some alternatives, here are a couple.

There isn't any real reason I went ATX over mATX it's just the mobo I ended up picking in the build. Have any better suggestions? Also, It seems I have made a bad case choice I'll check out the Fractal Design one you suggested.

53 minutes ago, Rhyss said:

Not really the best person to comment on the hardware choices, however I would recommend going with a different case. Doesn't seem like that one would have great airflow for the components you're planning on using. Looks a little small, everything would be really cramped in there.

That's no problem thanks for bringing up the case issue? Any cases you would suggest?

6 minutes ago, HappyFlap said:

I do plan on overclocking. Any recommendations for me that can improve the build overall?

44 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

What's your budget for mobo and gpu

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

9 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

What's your budget for mobo and gpu

It can go higher that's no problem. My budget is £1200, the current build is £1040. You can add the additional budget to GPU and MOBO. I was unsure about the GPU anyway, as I am sure ZOTAC isn't the best third party brand.

27 minutes ago, HappyFlap said:

It can go higher that's no problem. My budget is £1200, the current build is £1040. You can add the additional budget to GPU and MOBO. I was unsure about the GPU anyway, as I am sure ZOTAC isn't the best third party brand.

I don't know how the prices will translate to euros, but for the motherboard, this would be the best/cheapest option (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144110&Description=z370 motherboard&cm_re=z370_motherboard-_-13-144-110-_-Product), and for the gpu, I would just go with any other cheap gpu from msi, gigabyte, or asus honestly

1 hour ago, lmeneses said:

I don't know how the prices will translate to euros, but for the motherboard, this would be the best/cheapest option (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144110&Description=z370 motherboard&cm_re=z370_motherboard-_-13-144-110-_-Product), and for the gpu, I would just go with any other cheap gpu from msi, gigabyte, or asus honestly

Okay, I'll probably end up picking up this motherboard. A quick check is this motherboard is fully compatible? It says it supports 8th gen processors will that cover the i5 9600k I am planning on using? Thanks for the suggestion. Anything else you'd change?

3 hours ago, HappyFlap said:

Okay, I'll probably end up picking up this motherboard. A quick check is this motherboard is fully compatible? It says it supports 8th gen processors will that cover the i5 9600k I am planning on using? Thanks for the suggestion. Anything else you'd change?

Yes, z370 motherboards can support 9th and 8th gen intel chips, and no, other than that, the build is fine

1 hour ago, Happycowdance said:

Nice build! The processor will not get bottlenecked by the GPU used here?

32 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

Yes, z370 motherboards can support 9th and 8th gen intel chips, and no, other than that, the build is fine

Brilliant thank you Imeneses.

8 minutes ago, HappyFlap said:

The processor will not get bottlenecked by the GPU used here?

the gpu will definitely not bottleneck the cpu

also an 8600k is basically the same as a 9600k since you intend to oc

1 hour ago, Happycowdance said:

the gpu will definitely not bottleneck the cpu

also an 8600k is basically the same as a 9600k since you intend to oc

To be sure the GPU will not get bottlenecked here either? I don't mean to impede your knowledge I just need to make sure before I purchase. Thanks for your help Happycowdance.

There is no reason to go with the i5 8600K when the i5 9600K costs the same money. Also go with a Z390 chipset instead of Z370. 

7 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

There is no reason to go with the i5 8600K when the i5 9600K costs the same money. Also go with a Z390 chipset instead of Z370. 

Huh okay, thanks, Lee. Do you have any ideas on how to incorporate that into a build?

I've been working on some other build varients like using Ryzen? Is this any better? Looking to get the best out of the budget here obviously.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£221.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler  (£66.92 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£94.75 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£114.46 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£67.14 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£85.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB CERBERUS Video Card  (£379.97 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£72.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1192.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-04 23:11 GMT+0000

1 hour ago, HappyFlap said:

Huh okay, thanks, Lee. Do you have any ideas on how to incorporate that into a build?

I've been working on some other build varients like using Ryzen? Is this any better? Looking to get the best out of the budget here obviously.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£221.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler  (£66.92 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£94.75 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£114.46 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£67.14 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£85.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB CERBERUS Video Card  (£379.97 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£72.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1192.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-04 23:11 GMT+0000

Instead of a 3tb HDD, why not save a buck and put it towards a 970 Evo + 1tb or 2tb HDD? Unless the prices are ridiculous ditch the 860 and you'll have a super fast nvme boot drive and enough room left over for games!

Or, since ryzen appreciates higher ram speeds, put that money to a kit of 3200 or higher ram

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£318.00 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK - AIDOS BLACK 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£19.99 @ AWD-IT) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360 HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£76.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: G.Skill - FORTIS 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£94.79 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£36.95 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Toshiba - 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£51.97 @ Laptops Direct) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Mini Video Card  (£359.99 @ Novatech) 
Case: Game Max - FALCON WHITE RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  (£44.99 @ AWD-IT) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£72.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £1076.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-05 01:41 GMT+0000

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Thanks for all the builds guys. Any more updates or suggestions are greatly appreciated, but I am going to start buying parts now.