Computer crapped, out, troubleshooting steps?

Recently, with the folding@home month and it getting colder, I've been running folding@home at medium on my pc to heat my room. Don't ask :)

Anyways, this morning I woke up to a nice warm room (yay) but to my pc screen looking.... wrong. Everything looked kind of 'fuzzy' (that's the best way I can describe it). Hoping that it wasn't a serious issue, I tried to restart my computer. I got to the motherboard boot screen, but then the display went black (though the power LED on the case stayed on). I waited for a little while, then did a hard shutdown because it didn't seem to be doing anything.

Now, when I press the power button, nothing happens. At all. No lights, no fan spin, no nothing. Not good.

Specs are: MSI z170 pro SLI plus motherboard, evga gtx 1080, 6700k, corsair 850rx psu.

I figure given that I'm getting nothing at the moment the first step will probably be to try a new motherboard, but that brings up a few questions:

- is it worth trying to deal with MSI? I'm not sure if I have any kind of warranty from them for the mb (it's been just over two years since I bought it)

- If I try to buy a new motherboard, will I be able to find new and affordable boards that are compatible with my 6700k? recommendations?

- If I get a new motherboard and I'm still having issues, what is the next step? psu? gpu?

Since it seems primarily MB related I posted it in this section, lmk if this is the right place or not.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, EtherealFog said:

Recently, with the folding@home month and it getting colder, I've been running folding@home at medium on my pc to heat my room. Don't ask :)

Anyways, this morning I woke up to a nice warm room (yay) but to my pc screen looking.... wrong. Everything looked kind of 'fuzzy' (that's the best way I can describe it). Hoping that it wasn't a serious issue, I tried to restart my computer. I got to the motherboard boot screen, but then the display went black (though the power LED on the case stayed on). I waited for a little while, then did a hard shutdown because it didn't seem to be doing anything.

Now, when I press the power button, nothing happens. At all. No lights, no fan spin, no nothing. Not good.

Specs are: MSI z170 pro SLI plus motherboard, evga gtx 1080, 6700k, corsair 850rx psu.

I figure given that I'm getting nothing at the moment the first step will probably be to try a new motherboard, but that brings up a few questions:

- is it worth trying to deal with MSI? I'm not sure if I have any kind of warranty from them for the mb (it's been just over two years since I bought it)

- If I try to buy a new motherboard, will I be able to find new and affordable boards that are compatible with my 6700k? recommendations?

- If I get a new motherboard and I'm still having issues, what is the next step? psu? gpu?

Since it seems primarily MB related I posted it in this section, lmk if this is the right place or not.

Thanks!

It sounds like you had a very bad nightmare.  I see sh*T fuzzy when I do. lol nah jk jk m8.  Try to turn off the PSU switch off take out cable,, then put cable in and turn psu switch on and try to turn on pc and let us know ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

45 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

It sounds like you had a very bad nightmare.  I see sh*T fuzzy when I do. lol nah jk jk m8.  Try to turn off the PSU switch off take out cable,, then put cable in and turn psu switch on and try to turn on pc and let us know ?

lol, that's the first thing I tried this morning and I got nothing unfortunately.

1 minute ago, EtherealFog said:

lol, that's the first thing I tried this morning and I got nothing unfortunately.

SIghs...... hmmmmm.  try booting into safe mode and run DDU and remove the video drivers and then boot into winblows and install latest whql from nVidia which is now 417.23

Then let us know.  Possibly some video driver corruption could of happened.  I hope this does it for you.  If not then either the monitor or video card is botched.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

14 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Then let us know.  Possibly some video driver corruption could of happened.  I hope this does it for you.  If not then either the monitor or video card is botched.

Should I connect the monitor to the motherboard display output instead of gpu? the thing is right now when I press the power button to turn it on, I get nothing at all; no lights from the system, no fans spinning, no output to the monitor (not even the motherboard splash screen). I know for sure the monitor still works.