Setting Plex up help

bit

So I've had pms set up on my personal pc for a while for my parents to watch a movie on the TV. They kinda want to start to watch more however my schedule of me being awake doesnt always line up with them. And they don't know how to computer very well.

So what I want to do is have a new local account (win10) that basically only has plex start on logging in and then they can immediately go to watch stuff. So far the only problem I've run into is having plex start on logging in for one user only. In task manager I can see plex on startup there but that affects it for all users at once. And msconfig the only plex service there is an update one. So how can I do this and get it set up? Would it be as easy as making a batch file to just start plex and shoving the bat into the users startup folder? Am I overthinking this?

And last question is if I switch users from that account to my main account will that suspend plex or keep it from working? 

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I've got a case of dumb bitch disease :(

just run it under your account, leave your PC on, and lock your account? you'll have to be logged in, but instead of signing out, just lock from the start menu. 

or you can use win key + L. 

PMS is probably best put on a separate computer or even a NAS

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

just run it under your account, leave your PC on, and lock your account? you'll have to be logged in, but instead of signing out, just lock from the start menu. 

or you can use win key + L. 

PMS is probably best put on a separate computer or even a NAS

damn u gonna pay my bills too?

Why not get them a cheap Plex client like a fire stick or something? Does their TV have the Plex App?

That way just leave your PC on as the server and let them watch through a client only device.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

1 minute ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Why not get them a cheap Plex client like a fire stick or something? Does their TV have the Plex App?

That way just leave your PC on as the server and let them watch through a client only device.

yes the tv has the plex app that's how they've been watching thus far, my pc is the server however i do not want them to have access to my account (which i dont think is too much to ask?). please can you read?

17 minutes ago, bit said:

So I've had pms set up on my personal pc for a while for my parents to watch a movie on the TV. They kinda want to start to watch more however my schedule of me being awake doesnt always line up with them. And they don't know how to computer very well.

So what I want to do is have a new local account (win10) that basically only has plex start on logging in and then they can immediately go to watch stuff. So far the only problem I've run into is having plex start on logging in for one user only. In task manager I can see plex on startup there but that affects it for all users at once. And msconfig the only plex service there is an update one. So how can I do this and get it set up? Would it be as easy as making a batch file to just start plex and shoving the bat into the users startup folder? Am I overthinking this?

And last question is if I switch users from that account to my main account will that suspend plex or keep it from working? 

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I've got a case of dumb bitch disease :(

The Plex client as far as I know isn't designed to run multiple instances. The whole reason Plex has a user account system with their premium service is to manage users in this way. Maybe your parents could get you a few months of Plex pass (or even a lifetime pass if they're generous) for Christmas? That way you can set them up and not have to mess with batch files and such.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

y'all got the reading comprehension of a brick i s2g

36 minutes ago, bit said:

yes the tv has the plex app that's how they've been watching thus far, my pc is the server however i do not want them to have access to my account (which i dont think is too much to ask?). please can you read?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Just now, Ezzy-525 said:

No need to be a dick about it.

Also, if you still want my advice on it. You can setup accounts in plex, then set that account to auto login on the client side. So they start plex and it auto logs into their account, not yours.

literally not what i'm looking for at all but lol

fixed it anyways with a quick bat file in startup, overthunk it like i usually do.

31 minutes ago, bit said:

If multiple people are misunderstanding you then maybe the problem is a poorly written question.

Anyway it is good that you were able to resolve your issue.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bit said:

literally not what i'm looking for at all but lol

fixed it anyways with a quick bat file in startup, overthunk it like i usually do.

Complains about people not being able to read, then writes "overthunk", all hope in humanity is basically lost.

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

1 hour ago, TheThymo said:

Complains about people not being able to read, then writes "overthunk", all hope in humanity is basically lost.

huh damn u got me homie bet u complain when people use lit or fam dont u "These damn degenerates are perverting the Queens English! Shame on them! This world is crumbling apart around us. What happened to the good old values held by real men? I hate women and minorities." that's basically u rn dude ease up

2 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

If multiple people are misunderstanding you then maybe the problem is a poorly written question.

Anyway it is good that you were able to resolve your issue.

i mean i clearly said that i wanted to know how to start plex for one local user account on my win 10 machine instead of all win 10 accounts on the machine and whether switching accounts on the local machine (NOT PLEX PLEASE DO YOU KNOW WHAT A LOCAL ACCOUNT IS) would cause plex to be suspended or something, if y'all couldn't parse that together from me saying "So what I want to do is have a new local account (win10) that basically only has plex start on logging in and then they can immediately go to watch stuff." then that's straight up a y'all problem my doggy, not once did i mention wanting to switch users in plex at all and one of y'all didn't even catch that my parents use plex on the tv and thought that's what i was asking despite explicitly saying "So I've had pms set up on my personal pc for a while for my parents to watch a movie on the TV." (how else would they watch the movies via plex on the TV without some kind of app?).

But yeah, fixed it, bat file into the startup folder ezpz. Guess Linus was wrong when he said ltt viewers are smarter than most on wan lol

13 hours ago, bit said:

-snip-

Two things:

-Stop acting like a child, this is a forum where people try to help. If you cannot appreciate that, delete your account.

-If I correct your english in a sarcastic way, I do it because you're acting really childish. I don't do it because you're "perverting the Queens English".

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

18 hours ago, bit said:

wow thats a fine way to get help good luck with that, heck maybe start your own forum since you probably cut yourself off here from any support for future issues

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

18 hours ago, bit said:

huh damn u got me homie bet u complain when people use lit or fam dont u "These damn degenerates are perverting the Queens English! Shame on them! This world is crumbling apart around us. What happened to the good old values held by real men? I hate women and minorities." that's basically u rn dude ease up

i mean i clearly said that i wanted to know how to start plex for one local user account on my win 10 machine instead of all win 10 accounts on the machine and whether switching accounts on the local machine (NOT PLEX PLEASE DO YOU KNOW WHAT A LOCAL ACCOUNT IS) would cause plex to be suspended or something, if y'all couldn't parse that together from me saying "So what I want to do is have a new local account (win10) that basically only has plex start on logging in and then they can immediately go to watch stuff." then that's straight up a y'all problem my doggy, not once did i mention wanting to switch users in plex at all and one of y'all didn't even catch that my parents use plex on the tv and thought that's what i was asking despite explicitly saying "So I've had pms set up on my personal pc for a while for my parents to watch a movie on the TV." (how else would they watch the movies via plex on the TV without some kind of app?).

But yeah, fixed it, bat file into the startup folder ezpz. Guess Linus was wrong when he said ltt viewers are smarter than most on wan lol

Why didn't you just explain what you wanted to begin with? You know LTT is comprised of many people across many countries. If someone misunderstands your question it doesn't mean they're not smart. It means they misunderstood what you wanted. If you want help, the best thing to do is to tell them that isn't what you were looking for and better explain your question instead of acting like an entitled brat.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

On 12/2/2018 at 11:04 AM, TheThymo said:

Two things:

-Stop acting like a child, this is a forum where people try to help. If you cannot appreciate that, delete your account.

-If I correct your english in a sarcastic way, I do it because you're acting really childish. I don't do it because you're "perverting the Queens English".

dam u got me homie u sure told me my doggie, imagine if there were a group of marginalized ppl out there who routinely discriminated against because of using slang or words that arent in the dictionary, that'd be fucked up if there was my dude. maybe think once before u come out with ur "Haha, good sir you seem to have used a word that does not exist! EDIT: Thanks for the gold my good sirs!"

On 12/2/2018 at 12:13 PM, mrbilky said:

wow thats a fine way to get help good luck with that, heck maybe start your own forum since you probably cut yourself off here from any support for future issues

thx ❤️

On 12/2/2018 at 3:20 PM, Razor Blade said:

Why didn't you just explain what you wanted to begin with? You know LTT is comprised of many people across many countries. If someone misunderstands your question it doesn't mean they're not smart. It means they misunderstood what you wanted. If you want help, the best thing to do is to tell them that isn't what you were looking for and better explain your question instead of acting like an entitled brat.

i mean that's an all u problem if u cant understand my first post but then understand my follow up post that says exactly what i said at the beginning 

And the help comes flowing in right about now?

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410