Laptop for work use?

I've been looking through the laptop recommendations here to find a good deal on a laptop for work use. 

Basically, it needs to be a windows 10 machine and handle email and office (possibly other productivity software). No heavy graphics stuff, but maybe some powerpoint. It needs to be small and light for carrying around to meetings.. I'd say 14" maximum. Touch screen would be nice, but not necessary. I don't have a problem upgrading the memory or hard drive myself. I'd like to keep it under $500. I see 8GB ram should probably be the minimum I go with. I'd like a SSD drive if possible, but I can always upgrade that later. How much processor do I really need for this? I saw someone recommended a Lenovo Thinkpad E485/E585  with R5-2500U, 4+4GB RAM and FHD IPS display, need SSD upgrade. That seems to be at a pretty good price on the Lenovo website right now. HP has a lot of laptops on sale, but most of them are 15.6". Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance for the help! 

would you be willing to have an external storage medium because there is a laptop on Amazon CANADA for about 570 with an i3 cpu found here although only 4gb of ram

17 minutes ago, gabrielgames said:

would you be willing to have an external storage medium because there is a laptop on Amazon CANADA for about 570 with an i3 cpu found here although only 4gb of ram

I appreciate the response. I should say that I'm in the US. Also, the laptop you linked is a 15.6" model. I would like something smaller. It doesn't seem like it's as good of a deal as the Lenovo one, which is on sale on the Lenovo site. I guess part of my question is for work use, do I need the R5 or could I get away with the R3? 

1 minute ago, illiniben617 said:

I appreciate the response. I should say that I'm in the US. Also, the laptop you linked is a 15.6" model. I would like something smaller. It doesn't seem like it's as good of a deal as the Lenovo one, which is on sale on the Lenovo site. I guess part of my question is for work use, do I need the R5 or could I get away with the R3? 

hmmm, i would recommend getting the better spec R5 as it would last you longer and do the job faster and more efficiently! my apologizes for the bad recommendation

9 hours ago, illiniben617 said:

small and light

Preferred max weight?

under $500

You don't have many options. E485/E585 is decent, but battery life is worse than E480/E580

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

16 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Preferred max weight?

You don't have many options. E485/E585 is decent, but battery life is worse than E480/E580

To follow up on this, I ended up going with the ThinkPad E480 for about $100 more than the E485 on the Lenovo site. The 480 comes with a core i5-7200U, 13 hour vs 9 hour battery life, 8GB Ram, 512 GB SSD, and an upgraded display. Configuring the E485 with similar specs would have made it more expensive, so the E480 seemed like a better choice for what I am trying to accomplish. Hopefully that is the right choice.  

i5-7200U

Why not i5-8250U?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 11/30/2018 at 11:32 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Why not i5-8250U?

It wasn't an option. The better price was on a package deal that was pre-configured. Configuring the base model up with all the same options would have been about $200 more.