Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrade or Wait

Tom P
 Share

Currently running the following:

  • Intel i7-5820k (EK Supremacy EVO)
  • Asus X99-Deluxe
  • G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb (4x4gb) DDR4-2400
  • 2x eVGA GTX 980 SC (EK GTX 980 WB)
  • Samsung 840 Evo 500gb
  • eVGA 1000 G2

Looking to upgrade. My Asus Rog Swift took a dump a while ago and will likely replace with a 2560 x 1440 monitor (probably the Acer Predator X34 or Asus - ROG SWIFT PG348Q). 

Given the cost of new GPUs, I would really like to just keep my GTX 980's.  

I am looking to upgrade the remainder. Looking to do more video / photo editing and am looking at more memory, a faster CPU, and more SSD storage.  My first choice is a Ryzen 2700X, but am considering going Threadripper 2920X or 2950X.  I'll pair the CPU with Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4-3200.  Going to upgrade storage with 2x Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2 and a Samsung 860 Evo 1tb.  The Samsung from the old rig will be reused in some capacity.

My current system is in a Case Labs S8 with 2x Alphacool 360 Monsta. I obviously have plenty of cooling capacity and am not planning to upgrade any of the watercooling parts except maybe to go PETG or Glass (more likely).  My current PSU is fine and will have plenty of cushion to drive the GPUs and upgraded CPU

*************
My questions:
- are GTX 980's (in SLI where support is available) enough to drive modern titles in 1440p? Preferably at 60hz or higher at high settings (not ultra high)? If not, what generally can keep up

- looking to get the best bang for the buck (read that as value) and is the reason I'm NOT going with an Intel build/upgrade.  I've been primarily Intel, but TBH, I don't see value in going with Intel right now.

- Anything else I should be considering? Or should I just keep what I have for another year or two?  I have considered just keeping everything that I have and waiting.  I know I need a new monitor and I'd like to upgrade my current storage.  I do want to do more video editing and I am feeling that my current rig is holding me back some.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're good with used, an i7 6900k is pretty good off eBay. 8 cores and newer generation should help you a lot with video editing and gaming respectively. In terms of graphics, SLI is not ideal, so maybe look into a 1080.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

If you're good with used, an i7 6900k is pretty good off eBay. 8 cores and newer generation should help you a lot with video editing and gaming respectively. In terms of graphics, SLI is not ideal, so maybe look into a 1080.

A 1080 is something I considered.  I would like to keep this watercooled and a WB would need to be included in my budget.  A used CPU is definitely an option.  

 

Just now, Andrew.Schickowski said:

well if you have the money a 2950x would do verry well but for the price of a 2700x being only 300$ you could use the money you saved on going for a new graphics card such as a used 1080 or 1080ti and for the storage a 1tb ssd can be had for just over 100 usd

I think the 2700x is the front runner if I decide to go with a new CPU/MoBo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to tell you, a 980 sli setup would be enough for 4k, but I outperform you with my 1070 ti on a minor overclock

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Budget?

Ideally, budget is $1.5k to 2k.  A lot of that is going to be dependent on how much my quarterly bonus will be.  I know that my monitor will be taking a good portion of that budget.  Upgrading CPU/MoBo/RAM will happen if I get a decent bonus and can raise my budget above 2k (especially knowing that my monitor will eat up a lot)

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

Just to tell you, a 980 sli setup would be enough for 4k, but I outperform you with my 1070 ti on a minor overclock

I don't see a 1070ti as a significant upgrade (I could be wrong).  A 1080 / 1080ti is a definite upgrade, but need to find one at a reasonable price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7nm Ryzen comes out in 3-4 months. There are rumors it will have up to 16 cores (as much as the 2950x). If you don't mind loosing quad channel memory support and PCIe lanes (still more than Intel) you might want to consider waiting for Ryzen 7nm benchmarks to drop and decide on purchasing at that time.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

OS: Windows 10 Home

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tom P said:

I don't see a 1070ti as a significant upgrade (I could be wrong).  A 1080 / 1080ti is a definite upgrade, but need to find one at a reasonable price.

Then I don't see the 1080 as a significant upgrade. A well overclocked 1070 ti=1080. I would suggest an evga 1080 ti or 2080 as they cover warrenty even when watercooler

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ATFink said:

7nm Ryzen comes out in 3-4 months. There are rumors it will have up to 16 cores (as much as the 2950x). If you don't mind loosing quad channel memory support and PCIe lanes (still more than Intel) you might want to consider waiting for Ryzen 7nm benchmarks to drop and decide on purchasing at that time.

I'm looking to start/finish this in January (i've got the budget from my normal paycheck for $1500).  I am certainly willing to wait another month or two for better options.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Then I don't see the 1080 as a significant upgrade. A well overclocked 1070 ti=1080. I would suggest an evga 1080 ti or 2080 as they cover warrenty even when watercooler

I've only ever owned eVGA GPUs because they cover those GPUs that are watercooled.  

 

From a price perspective, an eVGA 2070 is only a little more than a 1070 ti.  As I will likely pull the trigger in January (or later), there may be greater availability of the 2070 and maybe the prices will settle some.

 

I am NOT up to speed on cryptocurrency.  Are GPU prices starting to settle down some?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tom P said:

I am NOT up to speed on cryptocurrency.  Are GPU prices starting to settle down some?

Obviously you want something much faster, but you can buy an rx 570 for $130 now.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

OS: Windows 10 Home

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tom P said:

I've only ever owned eVGA GPUs because they cover those GPUs that are watercooled.  

 

From a price perspective, an eVGA 2070 is only a little more than a 1070 ti.  As I will likely pull the trigger in January (or later), there may be greater availability of the 2070 and maybe the prices will settle some.

 

I am NOT up to speed on cryptocurrency.  Are GPU prices starting to settle down some?

Those don't affect the prices anymore. Watch out as there are two different 2070 chips. One with better thermals, less consumption, higher overclocks and one much worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×