Sharing experiences about GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 Gaming ?

The Strange
Go to solution Solved by Slottr,
1 minute ago, The Strange said:

I mean by other words: does my decision to get 1070 ti Gaming/Titanium a good choice? as i want to stay away totally from troubles, but i'm really sad because they are all close in price.

Yes, I answered that in the previous reply- Get the 1070ti because you can get a much better cooler than is on the G1 and be in the relative performance ballpark with an overclock.

Hi guys, sorry for repeating talks about this subject, but i hope from people having currently the GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 Gaming to share their experiences about it.

As i wanted to get this one for me, but i checked many online reviews saying fan problems and defects with it due to bad design, also noisy and coil whine too, i need to specify a decision if i should go with, or stay away from based on people's experience about. 

EDIT: Need also to know about noise levels, as i'm living in a hot country, usually fan speeds will go up, and i want my GPU to be quiet enough and not noisy.

I have one:

• I have just the tiniest bit of coil whine, inaudible under game sound or the other fans running
  • It might actually be one of the quietest cards I've used, and I've had a fair share of EVGA, MSI and Zotac GPU's.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

11 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I have one:

• I have just the tiniest bit of coil whine, inaudible under game sound or the other fans running
  • It might actually be one of the quietest cards I've used, and I've had a fair share of EVGA, MSI and Zotac GPU's.

Sorry for the question, but why are many people talking about fan defects?? bad cooler design? (despite some good temperatures)??

Was there some kind of this problem before and its fixed later???

If so, how can i make sure from that? if i take the decision to buy.

8 minutes ago, The Strange said:

Sorry for the question, but why are many people talking about fan defects?? bad cooler design? (despite some good temperatures)??

Was there some kind of this problem before and its fixed later???

If so, how can i make sure from that? if i take the decision to buy.

Couldn't tell ya. It's a budget card, but still a 1080.

Though if you can bump up 40-50$ I'd probably look into an EVGA or MSI 2070

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Couldn't tell ya. It's a budget card, but still a 1080.

Though if you can bump up 40-50$ I'd probably look into an EVGA or MSI 2070

Yes its price is close to MSI GTX 1070 ti Gaming/Titanium which was my 1st choice before i think to buy G1 Gaming.

I can't even bump up more budget to get the MSI Gaming X 1080.

So what do you think from your perspective? get the 1070 ti Gaming/Titanium as a better option?

4 minutes ago, The Strange said:

Yes its price is close to MSI GTX 1070 ti Gaming/Titanium which was my 1st choice before i think to buy G1 Gaming.

I can't even bump up more budget to get the MSI Gaming X 1080.

So what do you think from your perspective? get the 1070 ti Gaming/Titanium as a better option?

2070, not 1070ti.

And honestly, yeah. Much more economical, with a better cooler. With an overclock it will basically be a 1080 anyways.

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

2070, not 1070ti.

And honestly, yeah. Much more economical. With an overclock it will basically be a 1080 anyways.

RTX 2070 is very expensive here and more overpriced in my country, its actually performs similar to GTX 1080, about ray tracing it was just some kind of marketing, so its totally away from my thinking.

Anyways let me ask you 1 more thing, if G1 Gaming is really a budget card, so is that means it is subject to face troubles and problems later?? as many people talking about?

I mean by other words: does my decision to get 1070 ti Gaming/Titanium a good choice? as i want to stay away totally from troubles, but i'm really sad because they are all close in price.

Yes, I answered that in the previous reply- Get the 1070ti because you can get a much better cooler than is on the G1 and be in the relative performance ballpark with an overclock.

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Thanks so much, sorry again but i still have to ask 1 more thing:

I will gaming on 1080p 60Hz monitor, not sure if i will change to 144Hz cuz of the pretty expensive prices, but anyways as its my 1st GPU to get, i don't have much experience about overclocking, but i think i will need to do once i get below 60 FPS :D does overclocking really shorten GPU lifetime?? is the built-in cooler enough for overclocking?? Is it ok to overclock an aged GPU :D if you understand what i mean? :D 

Thanks so much, sorry again but i still have to ask 1 more thing:

I will gaming on 1080p 60Hz monitor, not sure if i will change to 144Hz cuz of the pretty expensive prices, but anyways as its my 1st GPU to get, i don't have much experience about overclocking, but i think i will need to do once i get below 60 FPS :D does overclocking really shorten GPU lifetime?? is the built-in cooler enough for overclocking?? Is it ok to overclock an aged GPU :D if you understand what i mean? :D 

Oh you're on 1080p?

The most you need is a 1070i. If you really wanna save a few bucks look at getting an RX 590/580 and use freesync when you do get a 144hz monitor.

Overclocking is fine as long as you follow strict guidelines, don't go and throw a voltage slider to max and click enter. Just watch what you're doing 

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Oh you're on 1080p?

The most you need is a 1070i. If you really wanna save a few bucks look at getting an RX 590/580 and use freesync when you do get a 144hz monitor.

My intention is just to get a GPU that lasts much longer years, because i don't do much upgrades, 1-time upgrade for an average 5 years, that's why i was thinking about the G1 Gaming 1080 as it comes to a cheaper price similar to 1070 ti, but unfortunately i was afraid from that bad design and fan defects that many people talking about.