RAM mhz, compatibility....

Filipeue

What RAM should I buy ?
I am about to uprage my laptop (2x4gb 2133mhz DDR4 RAM) with single 16GB RAM stick (I end up with 4gb+16gb=20gb RAM and yes I need it!). BM only supports RAM up to 2133mhz but isn't it more future-proof to buy RAM clocked higher even if my laptop will only use 2133mhz ? (Consider RAM sticks with higher clokage to be a bit cheaper)

Can I get some compatibility issues ? Should I buy 2133mhz ram stick ?

Assuming you are using an Intel-based laptop:

Yes, this configuration will work. According to Intel, it will operate in flex mode, i.e., the symmetric part (4 GB+ 4/16 GB) will operate in dual channel mode while the rest 12/16 GB in single channel mode. But compatibility is not only about frequency, but also vendor, timing and latency. It differs from ram stick to ram stick and board to board. There's only one way to find out: try it yourself.

About frequency: your CPU/motherboard combo might not support higher frequency memory. Consult your laptop manufacturer and/or manual & Intel Ark. If the combo does support higher frequency, I suggest you to go for that since higher frequency memory sometimes the same price as a lower clocked one.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

20 hours ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Assuming you are using an Intel-based laptop:

Yes, this configuration will work. According to Intel, it will operate in flex mode, i.e., the symmetric part (4 GB+ 4/16 GB) will operate in dual channel mode while the rest 12/16 GB in single channel mode. But compatibility is not only about frequency, but also vendor, timing and latency. It differs from ram stick to ram stick and board to board. There's only one way to find out: try it yourself.

About frequency: your CPU/motherboard combo might not support higher frequency memory. Consult your laptop manufacturer and/or manual & Intel Ark. If the combo does support higher frequency, I suggest you to go for that since higher frequency memory sometimes the same price as a lower clocked one.

Should I buy
Corsair ValueSelect 16GB, 2133MHz, CL15, DDR4 - 125$

or

Kingston HyperX Impact, 16GB, 2133MHz, CL13, DDR4 - 135$ ???

Corsair 2133 MHz CAS 15-15-15-36

Kingston 2133 MHz CAS 13-13-13-35

They are they same in case of transfer rate, but the tighter timing on the Kingston kit gives it a lower latency, but in your use case it's probably neglectable.

I would suggest you to go with the Corsair one and spend some time tweaking the timing in BIOS to match Kingston's better latency (*If your laptop supports timing modification). It saves you some money and will perform pretty much the same.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."