Bad hardrive???

lonely_sata_cable
Go to solution Solved by lonely_sata_cable,
On 11/26/2018 at 9:28 PM, kingknightrider said:

Could be a power overload and fry out of the USB HD Hub/HD docking station -though a rarity it would be -it is possible.

Never should use a different adapter than the one that came with the said device.

Would it not just be easier to remove the hard drive from the enclosure and then plug it in like a normal hard drive to the computer and use along with the main drive?

Also removing your main drive -if it is the only drive in the system -would mean there is no operating system in the computer.

Though I don't know if not having a hard drive connected to the motherboard via sata connection would mean the system would not boot up.

ok so i did the second paragraph. anyways i figured it out. 

there is a diode your next the the sata power connection on the back of the PCB the was blown out by using the wrong power adapter.

to fix this i was going to just desolder it and it should just be able to turn on long enough for me to get my data off of it. sadly this did not work for the diode isn't just simply soldered on to the board. instead i just ordered a new PCB from https://www.onepcbsolution.com/ my PCB model number is 2060-800039-P1 and thankfully they had the right replacement for me. only thing i have to do (and i opted into this, they offer to do this for you) swap the bios chip over. im doing this myself because i feel it gives my the perfect reason to research and learn how solder.

So ive had a 1TB WD blue for about 2years and since i have no internet at my house i bring my hard drive along with a 3.5inch to usb adapter/dock sorta thing. anyways it has the universal power connector thats the same as my laptop and jbl speaker charger. so i lost the included power adapter so i packed the JBl one i tested it before i left home to make sure it works and it spun up. so i unplugged it and left getting to school plugged it in anddddd nothing not even a white light on the adapter. so im thinking the charger broke the adapter kinda sucks but ok. so i unplug the internal hardrive in the computer im working on and plug in mine and nothing the fan doesn't spin nothing. plugging the original hard drive in and unplugging and plugging the power cable in and out again and it works doing the cycle again same result. so looking around and thinking is it somthing to do with the power cable i used and i messed up the circuits on the hard drive. or is the any other ideas yall have.

11 minutes ago, lonely_sata_cable said:

So ive had a 1TB WD blue for about 2years and since i have no internet at my house i bring my hard drive along with a 3.5inch to usb adapter/dock sorta thing. anyways it has the universal power connector thats the same as my laptop and jbl speaker charger. so i lost the included power adapter so i packed the JBl one i tested it before i left home to make sure it works and it spun up. so i unplugged it and left getting to school plugged it in anddddd nothing not even a white light on the adapter. so im thinking the charger broke the adapter kinda sucks but ok. so i unplug the internal hardrive in the computer im working on and plug in mine and nothing the fan doesn't spin nothing. plugging the original hard drive in and unplugging and plugging the power cable in and out again and it works doing the cycle again same result. so looking around and thinking is it somthing to do with the power cable i used and i messed up the circuits on the hard drive. or is the any other ideas yall have.

This is an external unit?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

58 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

This is an external unit?

No its a internal hard drive plugged into an internal to external adapter

1 hour ago, lonely_sata_cable said:

plug in mine and nothing the fan doesn't spin

what fan?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, lonely_sata_cable said:

Cpu fan

ah then the problem isn't the hard drive.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

17 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

ah then the problem isn't the hard drive.

What else would it be because whenever you put the original hard drive back in it works perfectly fine the only with my hard drives does it not work

I'm trying to get out of this would it be something I can fix as far as I know it's the hard drive is this going to be like one of those things we have to bring it to a professional and they fix it

58 minutes ago, lonely_sata_cable said:

What else would it be because whenever you put the original hard drive back in it works perfectly fine the only with my hard drives does it not work

I'm trying to get out of this would it be something I can fix as far as I know it's the hard drive is this going to be like one of those things we have to bring it to a professional and they fix it

If it's internal, and nothing works when you plug it in to your computer, and everything works when you remove it, then it sounds to me like you fried the controller board on the hard drive...

...I hope you have backups...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Could be a power overload and fry out of the USB HD Hub/HD docking station -though a rarity it would be -it is possible.

Never should use a different adapter than the one that came with the said device.

Would it not just be easier to remove the hard drive from the enclosure and then plug it in like a normal hard drive to the computer and use along with the main drive?

Also removing your main drive -if it is the only drive in the system -would mean there is no operating system in the computer.

Though I don't know if not having a hard drive connected to the motherboard via sata connection would mean the system would not boot up.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

On 11/26/2018 at 9:28 PM, kingknightrider said:

ok so i did the second paragraph. anyways i figured it out. 

there is a diode your next the the sata power connection on the back of the PCB the was blown out by using the wrong power adapter.

to fix this i was going to just desolder it and it should just be able to turn on long enough for me to get my data off of it. sadly this did not work for the diode isn't just simply soldered on to the board. instead i just ordered a new PCB from https://www.onepcbsolution.com/ my PCB model number is 2060-800039-P1 and thankfully they had the right replacement for me. only thing i have to do (and i opted into this, they offer to do this for you) swap the bios chip over. im doing this myself because i feel it gives my the perfect reason to research and learn how solder.