Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New HDD for Cyber Monday

sakamoto747
 Share

Hey y'all, looking to replace my old desktop HDD. Hoping for a 2tb or better, looking to spend around 100 bucks. Reading reviews makes my indecision even worse as I read the negative ones. So basically I run Windows off my SSD, while I use my HDD for storage, and video games. I don't really stream or use it for anything demanding I don't think.

 

A friend recommended WD purple (surveillance) but I read in a comment it can run warm(?), and it does get warm in my room in the summer already. That moved me over to the red series but I'm not sure if that's good for my purposes. Any recommendations or knowledge, guys?

 

CPU

AMD A6-5400K

Motherboard

MSI A58M-E33 (MS-7721) (P0)

RAM

2 x 4gb ADATA DDR3 1600 PC3-12800

GPU

3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)

Storage

119GB ADATA SP 600 SATA Disk Device (SSD) 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM 001-1ER164 SATA Disk Device (SATA)

PSU

Bitfenix 450w Whisper 80plus gold

Display(s)

Compaq Q2009, HZ194A

Cooling

Arctic Freezer A11

Sound

Logitech X-530

Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just get a WD Blue or Seagate. I dunno why you'd want a surveillance drive but maybe I can't read and missed something oof

Spoiler

Hit or miss, I guess they never miss huh

 

Setup:

 


CPU - i7-8700

Cooler - Cryorig H7

Motherboard - MSI Z370 Gaming Plus

Ram - Trident Z RGB (DDR4 16GB @ 3000Mhz)

Storage - 1x MX500 (500GB) SSD, 1x Barracuda (1TB Hard Drive)

GPU - EVGA 1080 SC 

Case - Cooler Master H500P Mesh (White)

PSU - Rosewill Photon 650w Fully Modular 80+ Gold

OS - Win 10 Home

Monitor - Asus VG248QE 144hz 1ms 24'

 

Peripherals:

 

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Elite

Keyboard - G910 Orion Spark

Headset - HyperX Cloud II

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IdiotPenguin said:

Just get a WD Blue or Seagate. I dunno why you'd want a surveillance drive but maybe I can't read and missed something oof

  Hide contents

Hit or miss, I guess I never miss huh

 

I have no idea why he uses them either! I thought maybe they had some kind of qualities that worked for him. No idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sakamoto747 said:

I have no idea why he uses them either! I thought maybe they had some kind of qualities that worked for him. No idea.

I'm not sure about the difference between a normal and other hard drive specified for storing other things but whatever works works :D

Setup:

 


CPU - i7-8700

Cooler - Cryorig H7

Motherboard - MSI Z370 Gaming Plus

Ram - Trident Z RGB (DDR4 16GB @ 3000Mhz)

Storage - 1x MX500 (500GB) SSD, 1x Barracuda (1TB Hard Drive)

GPU - EVGA 1080 SC 

Case - Cooler Master H500P Mesh (White)

PSU - Rosewill Photon 650w Fully Modular 80+ Gold

OS - Win 10 Home

Monitor - Asus VG248QE 144hz 1ms 24'

 

Peripherals:

 

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Elite

Keyboard - G910 Orion Spark

Headset - HyperX Cloud II

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, sakamoto747 said:

Hey y'all, looking to replace my old desktop HDD. Hoping for a 2tb or better, looking to spend around 100 bucks. Reading reviews makes my indecision even worse as I read the negative ones. So basically I run Windows off my SSD, while I use my HDD for storage, and video games. I don't really stream or use it for anything demanding I don't think.

 

A friend recommended WD purple (surveillance) but I read in a comment it can run warm(?), and it does get warm in my room in the summer already. That moved me over to the red series but I'm not sure if that's good for my purposes. Any recommendations or knowledge, guys?

 

CPU

AMD A6-5400K

Motherboard

MSI A58M-E33 (MS-7721) (P0)

RAM

2 x 4gb ADATA DDR3 1600 PC3-12800

GPU

3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)

Storage

119GB ADATA SP 600 SATA Disk Device (SSD) 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM 001-1ER164 SATA Disk Device (SATA)

PSU

Bitfenix 450w Whisper 80plus gold

Display(s)

Compaq Q2009, HZ194A

Cooling

Arctic Freezer A11

Sound

Logitech X-530

Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

i almost always go WD red.

 

Never had one fail on me yet, and they are designed for NAS use, so they can handle a lil more vibration than other drives.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

 

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

 

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MedievalMatt said:

i almost always go WD red.

 

Never had one fail on me yet, and they are designed for NAS use, so they can handle a lil more vibration than other drives.

Ah a question about that. This is for my desktop pc, is there anything odd about using using a NAS HDD for it? Like added noise, slower read/write speed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, sakamoto747 said:

Ah a question about that. This is for my desktop pc, is there anything odd about using using a NAS HDD for it? Like added noise, slower read/write speed?

honestly HDDs are HDDs.  The NAS drives have a bit faster read speeds, but its not anything mind blowing.  couple of MB/s.  the reds are also a tad louder than blues, as blues are for general purpose desktop use (i can hear them spool up and the heads unpark in my server next to me when i turn it on, or someone starts hitting it up for a movie to stream) but they arent deafening, and are easily drowned out.  Purples are a step further in the read/write vibration and noise department.

 

its about finding a balance for your setup.  in my experience NAS drives are the sweet spot for price/performance/noise/reliability.

 

Edit - When i say i can hear my reds.  I have 5 of them 4 of which in a RAID 5.  So when they spool up im hearing 4 HDDs spooling up and unparking simultaneously.  so they are 4 times quieter by themselves.

 

I also enjoy that vvvvvvwwwwwippp sound of HDDs spooling up. so IDGAF that i can hear it.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

 

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

 

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×