is windows 10 usable yet?

elexi0s

just got my first 4k ,monitor but because of windows 7 and no support for per monitor dpi scaling the ui is tiny and unusable. so I've just accepted that i'm going to have to move to 8.1 or 10, but if 10 is any good yet i might as well get up to date. 

has stuff like the intrusive updates and the other bullshit been stopped, or have people found easy workarounds and does upgrading from windows 7 to 10 have a high likelihood of losing files?

It hasn't, it has only gotten worse, but if it matters to you use winaero tweaker and you can fix most of this stuff without having to get your hands dirty. 

https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

They've gone from pestering you about updates to just shutting your PC off mid-use

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

It hasn't, it has only gotten worse, but if it matters to you use winaero tweaker and you can fix most of this stuff without having to get your hands dirty. 

https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

so this deals with all the significant bullshit in win 10?

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

They've gone from pestering you about updates to just shutting your PC off mid-use

had this happen in a lan cafe and it bricked all the pcs there for 40 mins

I've used windows since 3.1. I can honestly say I've had far less update issues/issues in general on Win 10 than any other windows. Win 8 in particular seemed really deadset on installing and rebooting while I'm using the PC more than any other windows version.  Are you going to have issues with any OS, yes. But its more about how breaking the issues are, I havnt had any issues on win 10 that have stopped me working for a day. Win 7 it was a every couple months I would get conflicts with office updates that would make the PC unusable. I would have sleep issues when my pc wouldnt wake on win 7, those dont happen on win 10 for me.  

The real deal is this happens with every version of windows, come out with win 95, people complain its not as good as 3.1. Come out with 7 people complain its not as good as xp. and it goes on and on.

High res and 4k monitors always have sucked on windows because of the scaling. You can pump it up and get it good, but running dual monitors in the first place is outside of the normal use case running a 4k screen and something like a 1080p dual monitor setup your even further from the normal person use case Microsoft generally designs for. Not knocking on multimonitor guys, I have a triple monitor ultra wide setup on my desk. Just more pointing out once you get into that realm its more issues caused by you and not so much Microsoft. We are doing things outside of what 99.9% of windows users do. 

30 minutes ago, elexi0s said:

so this deals with all the significant bullshit in win 10?

yes. 10s is pretty ok once you remove the forced updates and customize it a bit. You can even say leave auto updates on but turn off driver updates, one of my biggest 10 issues. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I just got done installing the Windows october update and adjusted the scalling on my triple monitor setup and was shocked when it changed just one monitor so it looks like they fixed it 

14 hours ago, Intrexin said:

Win 8 in particular seemed really deadset on installing and rebooting while I'm using the PC more than any other windows version. 

my gaming machine runs 8.1, and i've set it to check for updates, but to not install them unless i tell it to. never had issues. 

She/Her

I used Group policy editor to stop Windows 10 bothering me with updates and stuff. Disabled telemetry and deleted my Advertising ID.

Now, I feel like the system is somewhat responsible but could be a placebo. Win 10 runs good on a 8 year old laptop TBH.