should i buy this laptop?

so due to some crap with my old macbook i need something better running Windows. 

i found this laptop used: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS72-6QC-Stealth4K/Specification

i don't know if it's the 4K model or not, but i don't care about that. 

i'm getting it for €600, i'm just wondering are there any major reasons not to buy it? 

the config the seller listed only has 8gb of ram as far as i can find out on google, is it easy to upgrade? i do need 16gb in an ideal world.

one thing, i do need something with a decent gpu because i'll be selling my pc to fund it. i think this can run Overwatch at 1080p quite well right?

She/Her

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

the config the seller listed only has 8gb of ram as far as i can find out on google, is it easy to upgrade? i do need 16gb in an ideal world.

ask him to check whether it's running dual channel or not. This laptop only has 2 slots, so if it is running at dual channel at the moment, it is having all memory slots filled and upgrading wont be as easy or cheap.

19 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

one thing, i do need something with a decent gpu because i'll be selling my pc to fund it. i think this can run Overwatch at 1080p quite well right?

dont expect good settings and frame rates to exist at the same time. It's just a GTX 960M, even slower than the mobile 1050 and about as good as the GT 1030 GDDR5.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, Jurrunio said:

dont expect good settings and frame rates to exist at the same time. It's just a GTX 960M, even slower than the mobile 1050 and about as good as the GT 1030 GDDR5.

i don't mind playing at medium... i had a laptop with a 950m for a while and that ran it fine on low/medium settings. 

i'm just hoping it can handle 3 displays, two externals and the internal display... 

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

ask him to check whether it's running dual channel or not. This laptop only has 2 slots, so if it is running at dual channel at the moment, it is having all memory slots filled and upgrading wont be as easy or cheap.

i can only check that while i'm there, he doesn't know. his listing said if you want the specs just google them, and the only thing i can see about the ram from the model number he provided is that that specific config has 8gb. 

but, i have factored upgrade ram into my budget. it still has 2 months warranty so i won't mess with it for a while, during which time i can save up for ram. 

She/Her

There are two models on the msi website - one with a Full HD (1920x1080) & the other is UHD (3840x2160)

two storage options - m.2 ssd + 2.5 ssd ( you can replace that with a ssd in the future )

should be able to play overwatch on medium settings ( 16gb ram would be good, saw a few reviews where around 5/6gb of 8gb is being used... upgrading is a must in the future for that game

Gaming will be better on the 1080p model( if you are gaming just on the laptop screen )

Overwatch with 16gb ram, ssd,i7 and 960m 2gb should be good on medium 

12 minutes ago, Ben Mills said:

There are two models on the msi website - one with a Full HD (1920x1080) & the other is UHD (3840x2160)

two storage options - m.2 ssd + 2.5 ssd ( you can replace that with a ssd in the future )

should be able to play overwatch on medium settings ( 16gb ram would be good, saw a few reviews where around 5/6gb of 8gb is being used... upgrading is a must in the future for that game

Gaming will be better on the 1080p model( if you are gaming just on the laptop screen )

Overwatch with 16gb ram, ssd,i7 and 960m 2gb should be good on medium 

yeah i need 16gb. i'm gonna upgrade it when the warranty runs out... i don't wanna ruin the warranty on a used product. now i have some kind of certainty that if it goes wrong i'm not paying for the repair. 

She/Her

The website i have linked below shows what ram will be compataiable and ssd's ( any 2.5inch ) 

If you buy the laptop press ' scan your system ' just to make sure thats the correct model before buying anything

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/MSI-(Micro-Star)/gs72-6qc-stealth(4k)

I also found another page on the msi website ( linked below ) that the cpu is I7 - 6700hq - after watching some Youtube videos the laptop is more capable than i originally thought.Should be able to play most games on medium, i saw gta 5 on high / medium!

There are a good amount of videos on youtube, search ' i7 6700hq gtx 960m 2gb ' you can see some real world performance .

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS72-6QC-Stealth4K.html

That's not a terrible price for that. Build quality sucks on them so look it over properly.

9 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

That's not a terrible price for that. Build quality sucks on them so look it over properly.

it does? a friend of mine has a different msi laptop and that thing's quite solid from what i've seen... but build quality is subjective... 

She/Her

9 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

msi

^^doesn't have good QA in their laptops nowadays, even high end models. Needs to be lucky enough

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, GeneXiS_X said:

^^doesn't have good QA in their laptops nowadays, even high end models. Needs to be lucky enough

so that means it's unreliable then?

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

so that means it's unreliable then?

Pretty much every laptop you buy nowadays is like that. QC is hit or miss. With MSI having more cases lately

Can't comment on old MSI models, though

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Pretty much every laptop you buy nowadays is like that. QC is hit or miss. With MSI having more cases lately

lately meaning 2 years old laptops too? because this one is nearly 2 years old. 

She/Her