Finalizing pc planning, advice please!

mxk

Please read all of this below before looking at the list!

I've been planning this build for a month-ish now and been doing a lot of solo research and getting help from this forum. I was set on a 8400 and a 1070 or 1070ti (whichever was cheaper when I buy) until the 8400 spiked to $225 usd this morning. Once I saw that there was only $45 between the 8400 and 8600k, I decided to go with the 8600k since It'll last longer and I can buy better cooling for heavier oc'ing in the future. I didn't mention this at the start but I'll be doing mostly gaming and some light editing of clips from the games I play

Important Stuff:

1) I'm set on the CPU (unless it goes over 300 in the next few months or something)

2) I would like to stick with a 1070ti for this build since It'll last me longer, unless theres a pretty close alternative for a pretty good amount of money cheaper than a 1070ti

3) IF i can upgrade and keep the same build price, OR upgrade and go a little lower than the current build price, then by all means I will (who wouldn't?). I want to keep the same gaming performance though and I'm totally okay with Ryzen

4) I'm pretty set on EVGA 1070's since they make good cards, unless theres a better card for the same price, or same performance card for less

Other:

1) I didn't pick a super beefy cooler because like I said earlier, I'm not super oc'ing for another year-ish (or until I need to squeeze the last bit of life out of the i5 before I do a new build). I figured the CRYORIG h5 ultimate I have picked will be good for light overclocking if I need it

2) I don't have a power supply included since I just bought a new 620w SeaSonic bronze 80+ and I don't have a hhd included since I already have one of those too

3) If someone suggests a 1070 as a alternative to a 1070ti, I might disregard it since the ultra silent ftw 1070ti is sub-$400 right now, which seems like a deal to me

I know that was a lot to read but I feel like its important to the build, if someone bothered to read this far, much thanks.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I recommend searching amazon for some decent prices ( if you have prime) since I’ve found some good prime deals on there

Just now, Swaggot said:

I recommend searching amazon for some decent prices ( if you have prime) since I’ve found some good prime deals on there

pcpartspicker picks out the cheapest prices including prime exclusive stuff (people in my family have prime so I don't have to worry). pcpartspicker sometimes has messed up a little for me, so I'll make sure to take a look

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

While I understand that you're set on getting an i5-8600K, might I suggest you consider getting a Ryzen 2600/X.

You get double the thread count, for a lower cost. 

Or wait until 9th Gen Intel to launch. Since it is literally days away from happening.

As per GPU, consider getting a used GTX 1070/TI. I've seen GTX 1070s get sold for around 250USD.

If you feel uncomfortable buying used stuff, don't worry about it and get new stuff.

Also think about AMD ryzen 7 and 5 are cheaper and are good performers

14 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

While I understand that you're set on getting an i5-8600K, might I suggest you consider getting a Ryzen 2600/X.

You get double the thread count, for a lower cost. 

Or wait until 9th Gen Intel to launch. Since it is literally days away from happening.

As per GPU, consider getting a used GTX 1070/TI. I've seen GTX 1070s get sold for around 250USD.

If you feel uncomfortable buying used stuff, don't worry about it and get new stuff.

I did actually look into used stuff, I really love this suggestion since I was so on board with it. I forgot to include it, but I still look at ebay and my local stuff. If theres a good used seller for a 1070 ftw or 1070ti ill easily go for it over a new one. I've been keeping an eye on 9th gen too, I think we all have. Last, I completely forgot about the ryzen in the midst of my happiness of the 8600k. I'll look into it

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

5 minutes ago, Mello said:

Yeah it's good, just add an HDD.

I have a 7.2k rpm hhd already, I included it on the pre-list essay but I don't expect anyone to catch that

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

6 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I have a 7.2k rpm hhd already, I included it on the pre-list essay but I don't expect anyone to catch that

Yeah I'm not reading that lol

Like some others have said, you could consider Ryzen 5 2600x. It seemed like you were a little upset with the price hikes of the i5 chips. This Ryzen chip preforms very close to the i5 you chose, plus it is overclockable out of the box. You could go with the x version or even the regular 2600. But since the 2600x is about 80-90 dollars cheaper, why not go for it.

I think you're choice in graphics card is fine. You seem to have found a nice deal on a 1070ti, but the 1070 is also a great card.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018